Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Aprilia Tuono or Ducati S4R? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/1944-aprilia-tuono-ducati-s4r.html)

Buzglyd 06-26-2003 10:57 AM

Re: Aprilia Tuono or Ducati S4R?

As a Duc owner I am biased however I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

The Ducati makes way better noises if that's important to you.

fujkami78 06-26-2003 11:21 AM

I rode the Multistrada the other day and it was great. But the Tuomo sounds like the cheese from what I've heard. Very tasty. - Fuj

KPaulCook 06-26-2003 12:39 PM

Re: It is all about Passion.

Hey through price/performance on these two bikes out the window. Its about Italian passion.

GmonSquared 06-26-2003 02:24 PM

I hope the decision isn't made for you - I visited my local Aprilia dealer just to see the Tuono. He told me he'd like to see one too, they were all sold or on waitlist. Maybe your area's better. I did see one at the cycle show in the Winter, sweet looking bike.

Good luck.

Greg

sportbike_pilot 06-26-2003 02:35 PM

Re: they BOTH suck!

Thanks for the best laugh I've had all day. That's funny.

But which one is supposed to wear the britches, the duc :)?

john 06-26-2003 05:33 PM

i've never ridden a duc, but i gots a tuono, and it is the most fun bike i have ever ridden. its like a really smooth dirtbike. on the street. dare i say overgrown motard.

SeanAlexander 06-27-2003 08:41 AM

Having ridden the Tuono and Tuono R as well as the Monster s4 in a very spirited fashion on numerious occassions, my immediate reaction is: Get the Tuono. Having said that, I haven't sampled the Monster s4R yet and it does look to be closet to the Tuono from a performance standpoint, though I doubt the riding position is nearly as good as the Tuono, which is for all the world like a big dirtbike with rearsets.

After spending the past year (at MO) testing just about every bike available, I can say without reservation, that the Tuono is the most fun bike I've EVER thrown a leg over. Of course I'm an idiot and I tend to ride in a fairly aggressive manner, so my opinion is only truly valid, for those of you who ride aggressively or do long commutes.

SeanAlexander 06-27-2003 08:45 AM

As for the long commutes.... the Tuono is quite comfortable and you sit high, which coupled with a generally narrow bike, makes lane splitting a piece O cake.

Of course the Tuono's ability to do MONDO 70MPH, 2nd gear, clutchless wheelies on the Freeway makes it more entertaining than your average commuter ;-)

SeanAlexander 06-27-2003 08:48 AM

&@#^!!!! I WANT A TUONO!

cornercarver 06-27-2003 08:59 AM

The Tuono will cost you a LOT less than the Duc in maintenance costs. I've only ridden a standard Monster 900, so I can't speak to the motor's performance, but I much prefer the chassis of the Tuono, I can tell that already. I've also put in excess of 20,000 miles on a Mille in a year and can speak to its impressive reliability. I never had to do anything besides change oil, filter, chain, sprockets, and tires.

Don't listen to the guy who says the Monster sounds better. The Tuono sounds glorious with any number of aftermarket pipes, which isn't to say that the Monster doesn't, of course.

As for looks, I think the Tuono is better looking, too. I've had several women (one is my fiancee, admittedly) tell me that it was the sexiest bike they had ever seen, but who cares what it looks like when you are on it, right?

I imagine that the Duc is more frequently stolen, just because there are so many on the road, the parts market must be there. Aprilia's did seem pretty safe from theft, although that didn't stop a couple of joyriders taking my Mille and totalling it earlier this month. I wanted a Tuono anyway, so I guess I can't really complain.

--sam