Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-22-2003, 01:19 PM   #1
giuliom
Registered Member

Default Re: Mirrors that actually work?

Good luck! I own a Nighhawk 750, which is definitely NOT a sportbike, and I have gone nuts trying to set up the mirrors so I can see *behind* me! I can see some, but there is way too much I can't see. On another bike I had the mirros like most right-side mirrors on car. They let you see better, but it is true that your depth perception gets skewed a bit. Still, you get a much better range.

Giulio
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
john
Founding Member

throw some washers in between mirrors and fairing. you would be amazed how much of an effect moving the mirrors out half an inch can have.

short of that, buy a mirror assembly off of a bandit or other standard, they usually have longer stems, and MOST of the japanese bikes have the same bolt spacing.

measure distance between your bolts, and find something longer that fits. bandit mirrors can be had on ebay for 10 bucks a pair. washers cost maybe a buck
Old 06-22-2003, 02:29 PM   #3
99R6
Founding Member

trade it in on a new Bandit
99R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 02:36 PM   #4
nweaver
Founding Member

Default VFR mirrors...

The mirrors on my VFR work well, fairly long stalk and easily ajustable.

Suprisingly enough, one of the best mirrors I've used are on the Ninja 250/EX250. Those funky pivot-stalks are nice, as you can raise them up and down by about 3-4 inches in addition to the other ajustments.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 03:22 PM   #5
torrnado
Founding Member

I have a '03 Kawasaki Z1000 and the mirrors are useless above 60 mph due to severe vibration, let alone speeds below that due to my elbows blocking 70% of rearward visibility. I would think if a manufacturer/third party parts producer put their minds to it, we might actually see functional mirrors some day!

Idea: How about a wide-angle camera (with electronic image stabilization) mounted in the rear of your bike with a helmet-mounted, see-through (or handle-bar mounted) LCD display...that would be trick!
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 04:15 PM   #6
bobo30
Founding Member

Why do sportbike riders always suggest they wish to see the soccer moms and tractor trailers coming up behind them. The key to success with your mirrors is proper shoulder checks. You can't ride with your mirrors alone (or drive for that matter). I can't remember the last time I had someone come up behind be in a tractor trailer. If you have this problem then I suggest you twist your right wrist a little further.

bobo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 05:03 PM   #7
obandoj
Founding Member

Really.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 05:24 PM   #8
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Try a set of Bar end mirrors. I've used them for over 10 years now and find their field of veiw surpasses that of other types of mirrors. They kind of look cool too. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 05:54 PM   #9
ebass
Founding Member

Default Aaaaaah!

So that's why the mirrors on Ducatis always afford me such a perfect view of my shoulders. It's meant as a reminder to turn and look behind them. Got it!

BTW, it's not the Mom's I'm checking for coming up behind me, it's Da' Man. Not that I speed or anything, but sometimes I get so absorbed in my riding, I look down in shock at the speedo to find myself doing 66, 67, even 68 mph! I just get a little carried away from time to time.

Law abidingly yours,

EBass
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 07:16 PM   #10
Nickoc
Founding Member

I have a 2002 R1, and I think the mirrors are the best I have had on the out of the four bikes I have owned previously. Still need to move elbows sometimes, but otherwise they are vibe free and have generous adjustment. But I am with some of the other readers here - if you have ANYTHING coming up behind you, you are driving like a girl... you do know your bike has more than one gear, right?
Nickoc is offline   Reply With Quote