Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-23-2003, 09:20 AM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Buy a Harley

Then everyone will be in front of you.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2003, 10:18 AM   #22
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Mirrors that actually work?

Crook your elbows in and weave a little, or get bar-end mirrors. My Triumph is so fast that no one sneaks up on me anyway. If I change lanes I turn my head and look.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:49 AM   #23
rsheidler
Founding Member

This is one of my sore spots with most sportbikes. Either you get a clear view of your shoulders or elbows, or you get a totally blurry view of what is behind you (or possibly more likely, a blurry view of your elbows).

You might cruise the showrooms with a tape measure to see if there are any other bikes with longer stalks that have the same bolt pattern (or one than can be adapted). You still run a good chance of the view being blurry though as the vibration damping will have been tuned for a different bike.

I would probably try bar end mirrors -- they often give you a pretty good view -- they also often end up being the widest part of the bike, so keep that in mind if you split lanes.

Good luck

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:52 AM   #24
rsheidler
Founding Member

The bike show prototype of the Ducati Mike Hailwood Replica used such a system but that did not make it to production. I am fairly sure that it will come before too long.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:44 PM   #25
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Fold the mirrors when you park...

Even with the 1/2" spacer, if you fold the mirrors to the side of the bike, you won't have a problem parking it as now the handlebars are wider.

For teh VFR800, the Y2K+ mirrors fold, the previous ones don't, but you can install the Y2K mirrors on a 99 or 98, and perhaps on an earlier model as well.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:44 PM   #26
Ramses
Founding Member

I did buy a Harley. Dogs fear me, Grandma's hate me, and if a sportbike (like my CBR) manages to pass me they become pig-bait and the hog keeps on a'goin. Oh, and I can see behind me. Either mirror.

My stock CBR mirrors aren't that bad. I only have to move my shoulder or elbow an inch or so to see, and if you aren't nimble enough for that, then don't try to move in a corner and condolences to your gf.
Ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 02:54 PM   #27
jbravo1
Founding Member

I have a 03 ZX-9R and guess what . . . the mirrors actually work quite well. Yeah I know, its not a bad-ass bike like the GSXR1000, but I don't care since I use it mostly for commuting. Comfy seat, big wind shield, and even a semi-soft seat. Not like those wooden plank seats on CBRs.
jbravo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 03:33 PM   #28
TrackDaddy
Registered Member

As one of the other folks mentions, bar-end mirrors work supprisingly well. The standard black, Napolean brand mirrors are stable and provide a vibe free view.

For those who want a very high-tech solution, you could try this... http://www.themotocam.com/
Old 06-23-2003, 04:16 PM   #29
Jim_Wang
Registered Member

I just got some bar-end mirrors at CRG racing.

http://12.210.213.168:8080/bike/bike02.jpg

They're quite spendy, but awesome. They're machined from CNC aluminum, and don't vibrate at all. Get the internal adapters, and torque them down tight-I am on a bmw though, so if your bike is rough, I can't speak on the cibrations.

The mirrors are very convex, and eliminate most of the blind spot. However, objects in mirrors are far closer than they appear. Once you get used to them, you won't go back.

Jim_Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:19 PM   #30
Jim_Wang
Registered Member

Whoops. The correct link is:

http://www.constructorsrg.com/
Jim_Wang is offline   Reply With Quote