Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-22-2003, 08:26 PM   #11
EbonFlame
Founding Member

Default Re: Mirrors that actually work?

Yeah, I just hate in when you realize what's coming up behind you is another motorcycle. Normally, I have no problem with KZ-1000s, but when they have red and blue lights...
EbonFlame is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2003, 01:18 AM   #12
charuhas
Founding Member

Default Ride faster? Tell the cops.

Listen up, you chuckleheads who are telling me to stop riding like a girl:

I'll ride faster if you can get cops out of the revenue-generation and rider-harassment games.

Last year a riding buddy and I got busted for doing 67 mph on a long, flat, straight, deserted four-lane highway in rural VA. The backward-ass county we were crossing got $120 fine of my money, and I got four points on my license. I'd use a radar-detector, but the Capital of the Confederacy in its Stalinist wisdom has made them illegal to use in VA.

A month ago I was riding through a battlefield park around Richmond. Out of habit, I parked on the sidewalk beside the closed-for-the-season Visitor's Center. Out of nowhere, in this deserted park, comes a park ranger, who, instead of telling me to move the bike or writing me a parking ticket, charges me with "Travel off of Designated Roads." Min penalty? You guessed it: $120 fine and four points on my license. Max penalty: 3 months in jail.

I'm escaping VA in a couple of months, but this sort of crap happens everywhere. If you can make it disappear, I'll stop trying to fix my mirrors.

charuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:55 AM   #13
Haird
Founding Member

Default Re: Ride faster? Tell the cops.

Yes, and then there's all those inconvenient stop lights and railroad crossings, which is where I usually get overtaken, if not rear-ended. Not to mention the nuts swooping all the way from the far right lane to the far left lane playing tag at 80 mph during rush hour. It's always nice to be able to see what's going on back there.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 03:26 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Aaaaaah!

Where did I last put my shovel?

On second thought a backhoe would be more in order.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:28 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Get one of those mirrors that the bicyclists clip to their helmets.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:39 AM   #16
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

To quote a famous Italian...... (spoken in a heavy Italian accent)......."Whatsa behind me doesn't matter."
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:07 AM   #17
gbrummett
Founding Member

So... you never had to stop at a traffic light? Or gotten caught in a sudden slow down in heavy traffic where everyone goes crazy changing lanes at once? Guess you don't live in the same world as the rest of us.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:24 AM   #18
Kildagin
Registered Member

I am not sure what they are called, but the small round stick on mirrors that people with trailers/pickups sometimes use work fairly well for me. They show a distorted wide angle view, so you may not know how close things are behind you, but you will know that they are behind you.
Kildagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:37 AM   #19
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Good idea

Yep I think I saw a new product in Motorcyclist or Sport Rider like that. The LCD display could be mounted a variety of places. I like you helmet mounted heads up display idea. The display could also show speed, rpm etc. Suprised Shoei hasn't teamed up with someone on that already. i..e have a wireless transmitter between the bike and helmet no wires etc. Heck you could have tunes piped in the helmet as well.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:48 AM   #20
BRIAN_1
Founding Member

I ride a VFR with supposedly decent mirrors, but it is still disturbing to me not to be able to see what is directly behind me. I guess I'm used to checking the rear view mirror in my car every 10 seconds and I try to do the same on my bike.

Gen Mar sells a 1/2" black plastic spacer that mounts between the stock mirror and the fairing on the VFR that helps you see around your elbows better. I'd get a set myself, but it would make it even more difficult to squeeze into my 1 car garage next to my car.

BRIAN_1 is offline   Reply With Quote