Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-13-2003, 08:19 AM   #1
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Wife's melted heel on pipe

Real experience:

Use oven cleaner and let it sit a long time. Use nothing abrasive to remove the residue, just reapply and wipe as needed, as any abrasive cleaner or pad WILL scratch the chrome and ruin the looks.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2003, 08:45 AM   #2
RRocket
Founding Member

Arrrgggg...I recently had her entire heel burned into my CARBON pipes. So no cleaners or anything..didn't wanna risk ruining the cans. So I waited and let it cool down fully for a few days. The put freezing water on it, and it peeled off rather easily. I hope you have an easy time like I did. Good luck..
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 09:11 AM   #3
xandvphyle
Registered Member

I too have used oven cleaner with success. After I have been out riding for a few miles and the pipes are hot, I spray.

1. wear a mask because the fumes are toxic

2. use cardboard to block any place you don't want the spray to go, ie tires, belts, engine area.

3. wipe with clean with cloth after cooling with a non abreasive cleaner.

this works well with some common sense

bob
xandvphyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 10:13 AM   #4
nokneedragin
Founding Member

I melted a rain suit on to my pipes once. The only solution I could come up with, ignore it and keep riding (I was in the middle of a cross country ride). By the time I got back home, I had forgot about it. Never noticed it after that.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 10:37 AM   #5
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Take your bike to the local scrap yard and toss it, it's ruined!

Or, you could try getting the pipes nice and hot, then spray WD40 on the mark and wipe off.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:37 PM   #6
kdurrell
Founding Member

Place a small plastic bag full of ice and water on the pipe (obviously when the bike is already cool) then try some combination of plastic implements and your fingernails after allowing some time for the plastic to get nice and brittle.
kdurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:44 PM   #7
TrackDaddy
Registered Member

Or, before you try anything else... Get yourself a clean, white cottong rag (must be 100% cotton). Go out for a short, fast ride. Imediatly after you park the bike, with the engine still running, carefully wife off the offending plastic. If that doesn't give satisfactory results you can try some of the other methods mentioned here. However, you may find that this gets everything off except a slight haze, which you can easily remove w/ Semichrome polish.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:13 PM   #8
sarnali
Founding Member

Holeshot performance sells a polish called Metal Mix that works really well. I got tar on the stainless head pipes on my Bandit and after getting the tar off the Metal Mix got the stain off and shined'em right up.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 03:15 PM   #9
clively
Founding Member

If her shoe soles were black rubber (it feels like warm tar when hot) then when the pipes are warm you can gently remove it with a cotton cloth and "Goo Be Gone". If the shoe soles were white, or some other color, the residue usually becomes very hard after being baked on to the pipe. Get a high quality chrome polish such as "Turtle Wax Chrome Polish", with no abrasives. Use a 100% cotton cloth to gently massage off the residue, working small dime size sections at a time. If you do it with most other cleaners or cloths it will put scratches in the chrome. Take time to do it right & it will be ok. I learned the hard way.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 03:18 PM   #10
clively
Founding Member

I guess he could off the wife as preventative maintenance
clively is offline   Reply With Quote