Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Another ''What to buy'' question! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1917)

cstewart77 06-12-2003 04:02 AM

Re: Another ''What to buy'' question!

SV650.....couldn't help it!!

Sorry

amp5 06-12-2003 04:16 AM

i think your user name has already made the decision for you

dominatr37 06-12-2003 04:36 AM

Go ride a Z1000 Kawi then decide. That bieks is mean. It has a visceral, nasty feel to it, and it handles like it's on rails too.

Grover 06-12-2003 04:43 AM

Great questions, as these are three very equally matched "smaller" naked bikes. I really like the way they all look and all are unique. I haven't ridden the speed 4, so I can't really say much about that, but between the monster and the XB, my opinion is that the XB has the better motor (no, I'm not kidding), has better handling, and would easily walk away from the monster in the twisties. That said, I think the monster is way cooler in the looks, sound, and "feel" department, and there's way more accessories for the monster to make it your own. I've already got a ducati, so if it was going to be my 3rd bike (I've got a '74 honda also), I'd go out and test ride a speed 4 and decide between it and the XB. If it were going to be my only bike, I'd still go test ride the speed 4 and decide between it and the monster. One final consideration is that if you're riding around town a lot, the speed four will be a bit more tedious to putt around on due to the narrower powerband of its inline 4.

Good luck, and I again commend you on your 3 choices. This would make an excellent comparo.

Grover 06-12-2003 04:48 AM

All you guys who spew the crap about "test ride this bike!!!" or "you should try that bike!!!" aren't helping. It's obvious this guy has put a serious amount of thought and consideration into the three bikes he's interested in, given the fact that they accurately represent the non-japanese lightweight naked-bike sector better than just about any other three bikes I can think of. So unless you're suggesting a non-japanese lightweight naked bike, shut your friggin' cake crusher.

longride 06-12-2003 05:00 AM

If you haven't at least sat on all these bikes then go do it. Try to test ride them all, too. I know the Lightning can be test ridden at any Buell dealer. The other two depends on how much the dealer trusts you. Test rides will at least give you the flavor of each bike you may purchase. With the criteria you have listed for use, I think you couldn't go "wrong" with any of them. I'd be partial to the twins, as KPaul knows, because they give the best balance of feel, sound and usable power, in my opinion. Fun choice to have really!

longride 06-12-2003 05:01 AM

Wow, Grover! Here I thought you were a furry, easy going Muppet!

electraglider_1997 06-12-2003 05:20 AM

The speed 4 is a nice looking bike and so is the Buell. Maintenance wise I would go for the Buell. No valve clearance issues, and no chain or belt tightening. Since you like Triumphs the Speed 4 looks real good in orange. Heck, you'd be happy with either bike. The up front cost of the Buell is higher but you'll only have to change the tires once in a while. The Buell would definitely bring more comments. It is cool looking.

GS1100GK 06-12-2003 05:26 AM

I agree with the fellow who suggested the Z1000. However, the ZXR1200 would be nice too or a Suzuki 1200 Bandit.

Good Luck!

electraglider_1997 06-12-2003 05:27 AM

Lease a bike

I wish I could just go lease a bike for a while. Sure you can rent but they want you to pay for the bike in a month and not even own it. Maybe 100 a month. That would be less than a thousand for the entire riding season. Then I'd get to try a new ride each year and if I really liked it, then I'd buy. Just dreaming.