Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-12-2003, 08:51 AM   #41
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Another ''What to buy'' question!

I'm guessing he'll change his mind about the SV650 once he realizes how much better it is
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2003, 09:04 AM   #42
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Yeah, I would definitely base a decision on a website made by someone with a 6th grade understanding of spelling, grammar and punctuation (especially comma) usage.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:10 AM   #43
adaleb
Registered Member

I am a happy Buell owner. Look at the new Lightning. An excellent piece work. More modern than you might think. Very smooth, very fast (despite what others say), and handles like it is on a rail.

Buy what fits.
adaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 09:21 AM   #44
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

OR, you could base your decisions on the 3rd grade mentality that posted the link!
Old 06-12-2003, 09:24 AM   #45
sarnali
Founding Member

I'd take the baby Speed over the Buell or Ducati. I just bought a new Trophy myself and I'm happy as a clam with it. The Buell write-ups I've read have been pretty positive so If you're looking for a weekend fun bike the Buell might work, but overall day in and day out I think the Triumph speed 4 would be more realistic. It seems to me that you'll get a lot more support from a Triumph dealer than a Harley dealer that sells Buell's because the profit center isn't going to be Buell. The impression I've gotten at the Triumph dealers I've been to is of a genuine passion for the bike's, where as Harley dealers around here anyway seem to treat Buell as an afterthought at best.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 09:39 AM   #46
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: Your Link? LOL

[Yawn]

Oh my god, you're right---there is no mention of any XB Lightning on the site. Gee, I never thought of that. I foolishly thought those posts might be indicative of Buell build quality in general.

Thanks for clearing things up in a reasonable, mature manner---without resorting to childish name-calling.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 09:51 AM   #47
Betamax
Founding Member

where I live, both the Harley dealer and the Buell dealer (separate but on the same lot) give excellent service. Very nice folks.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 09:57 AM   #48
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Three very different bikes...

I've ridden the TT600 on a demo ride, and the Speed Four is basically a TT sans fairing.

Like any smaller (600) engine, it is a bit anaemic at low RPM, but its element at high RPM and it is as strong as you'd expect.

The TT is very light, and easy easy steering.

The Speed 4 looks better, but I'd rather have a fairing, and unless you change the bars, the ergonomics are the same.

Buell? I wouldn't touch that with a 10M pole. Vibrates like an SOB at idle and I'd worry about longevity. There is a good reason why Bike, in a naked bike comparison (Speed Tripple, SV1000, Tuono, K1000, Monster M1000) placed the Buell last.

But if "funky" and "bad engine" == "charm" in your book, you might be happy with it.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 09:58 AM   #49
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default Re: they ALL suck ...

your opinion is ill-informed, you obviously don't know the first thing about the reliability of Buell or sportster engines.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 10:00 AM   #50
waepoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Here's what I know...

That 92hp comes from the Buell website, but MO's dyno run (for the R) shows a testicularly-challenged 77 hp at the wheel. Sounds like a lot to lose from the crank, doesn't it?

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbuell...2xb9rdyno.html

Either way, the Monster seems pretty outclassed in this group.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote