Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-12-2003, 07:56 AM   #31
SmokeU
Registered Member

Default Re: How about the Speed Triple

'Bout time you say something, I was getting worried you were going to sit this one out. HA I would have to agree with you, I'd take the Duc over the other two. I did one time have a Ducati mechanic tell me to not get one unless I have money to spend on maintenance though. I had just gotten done beating the ***** out of a Monster 750 while chasing the mechanic on a demo ride when he had said that, but I was impressed enough with the Monster to think long and hard whether to get one or not. At the time I decided against it, but I still think about it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2003, 08:06 AM   #32
Buzglyd
Founding Member

That's right. You don't own a ZX-9.

The DFO is on the hog. It's better than it was but I think I'm still going to have to throw it on a dyno to iron out a few glitches.

See what happens when ya start screwin' with 'em?

How much is that 95" kit again?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 08:15 AM   #33
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Right on with the "screwin with em" thing. Mine is gonna get worn out pretty good and then do it top to bottom. Dyno isn't the only way to tune. I did my TL1000 at home just using the buttons on the PC and it ran very well. It just takes a little patience. If I do build the Geezer, I will get some dyno time to dial it in. Hang in there.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:20 AM   #34
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Re: Another ''What to buy'' question!

BUY THE SPEED TRIPLE!

Roger the limited Dealer network, but the drivetrain is nearly bulletproof, it has the looks, and it runs like hot stink.

A buddy has a Y2K, which is very similar to the new ones, and he loves it. There is a bunch of aftermarket goodies out there (Jack Lilley, Sky King, etc.) to personalize the machine.

I had a Y2K Sprint ST until May 17th, when I had a head-on with a Subaru at Deal's Gap. The only problem I had in two years and 12K miles of ownership was the taillamps. I fixed that with RTV. Oh, and the front end is weak; it folded up when I hit the car.

I'll probably buy another one when I heal up. Besides, ya gotta support the Brits! Blair is one of my heroes.

Another friend just bought the Buell. He thinks it's a lot of fun, but he has to have it surgically removed after about 45 + minutes of riding.

Good luck with your purchase!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 08:25 AM   #35
KPaulCook
Banned

Come on just tell the guy how maintenance is like on an aircooled Ducati. I believe you now that happened B.P. (before Prozac)
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 08:26 AM   #36
Buzglyd
Founding Member

The DFO works the same way. You just adjust it turning the screws which control the mixture at different RPM levels.

I just like putting it on the dyno because i have to have it perfect, pain in the ass that I am.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 08:28 AM   #37
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Your Link? LOL

I knew if I said excellent post you would go look at the site. gotcha. Your are right it doesn't say any thing about the Lightning. I was expecting a site with tons of posts saying my Buell sucks.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:31 AM   #38
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Here's what I know...

My brother bought a new Monster 750 and 2 months later traded it in for a Monster S4. He loves his S4 but was not satisfied with the 750. If you are an experienced rider the 800 may not be the best bike for you.

The Buell looks cool but the back seat is TINY (well the whole bike is very small which can be a good and a bad thing at the same time) and it is the most expensive of this group. If you plan to ride two up this may not be the one for you.

The Speed4 looks cool with the belly pan and radiator shrouds... but it is an inline 4. That would be my only complaint. It is the cheapest of the bunch.

All that said, the Sp4 and the M800 put out about the same torque figures (the Sp4 has a very flat torque curve too for a small 4 cyl) but you see it a little higher in the rev range. The Buell is the torquiest of the three and the second heaviest (the heaviest is the Monster). The Sp4 is the most powerful, then the Buell and the Monster is last (97hp, 92hp and 73 hp respectively according to the each company website).

Now what I think: a motorcycle is not something you need and has to make sense, a bike is about passion and fun. A bike is as individual as you are. Ride them all and buy the one you love, don't worry about the rest. Get the ONE.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 08:46 AM   #39
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Narrow powerband... not really

If you check the Dyno figures from the 600cc MO comparo of this year you'll notice that the Sp4 puts out over 75% of it max torque from 3K to 13K, that's a whole 10,000 RPM range. Neither of the other two even revs to 10K.

Max torque comes out higher in the rev range and max torque is weaker than that of the Buell (but about the same as the M800) but the powerband itself is reasonably flat and has a longer spread.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 08:51 AM   #40
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Find a room you guys

Hey this my thread. Go find a room to talk that Halrley stuff. just kidding