Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-12-2003, 06:16 AM   #21
James_Brown
Registered Member

Default Re: Another ''What to buy'' question!

Bike magazine tested the XB9 against a M1000 (amongst others) and it was faster than the XB9 in every measurable way (acceleration, street route and track) Now the 800 isn't the 1000 (obviously)but it is nearly identical in chassis set up and weight so it should handle the same and it has a comparable power to weight ratio to the XB9 so I fail to see how the XB9 would "easily walk away from" the M800.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2003, 06:49 AM   #22
Randy_P_Moran
Founding Member

Default Have you thought about the SV650?

I recommend the SV650. You'd be crazy not to consider it!

Just joshin' ya. Holy cripes, don't get yer panties in a wad!

I vote for the Triumph.
Randy_P_Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 06:56 AM   #23
imported_g_k
Registered Member

I may have an anti-Harley bias, but I subscribe to the major US cycling mags and read Bike and Superbikes from the UK, and I've yet to read a test or article of a Buell that was very positive. They look cool, but they're SLOW, and I've read a number of references to snapped drive belts. Also, the trick front brake apparently doesn't work very well. US industry does some things well - good general aviation aircraft, hang gliders, bicycle frames, etc., but Harley seems to be successful marketing an image - an image that doesn't really require a well-engineered motor. The V-Rod's an exception, but that's not what we're discussing. Also, the air-cooled Ducatis aren't as expensive to maintain as the "superbike" models, (748/749/916/998/999), and I've talked to a number of Monster owners that rave about them.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:09 AM   #24
cycleguy26
Founding Member

The issue with Triumph reliability is a dead issue. I've put 40000+ on a Sprint ST and all that's had to be fixed was a clutch cover gasket. Besides the normal maintenance things, tires, oil, etc. Oh, there was a tail light I had to replace, so I guess reliability on a Triumph isn't so good afterall!

Honestly, I'm partial to Triumphs, so I know what I'd get. Just make sure you never move to a part of the country where there are no Triumph dealers, no one else wants to work on them.

Call the dealers and ask how much they charge for labor and such. Your bike will eventually need some work and you want to be able to afford it.

Good luck. You really can't lose picking a new bike these days.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:23 AM   #25
KPaulCook
Banned

Default How about the Speed Triple

If you are an experienced rider, I would look at the Triple. It probably costs as much as the Buell. But if you are dead set on those three choices I would pick the Ducati. Suprise longride. Pure sex appeal. The Ducati has passion. Also look at the maintenance costs of the bikes. Buells have self adjusting valves so maintenance is less and if you use a premium synthetic oil.... The Triumph has a two year warranty though. Ducati probably the most expensive on maintenance but Buzgld can tell you about Duc maintenance costs.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:25 AM   #26
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

huh! they're slow, in comparison to what, a M750! gimme a break.

BTW, it looked to me that Mr. Burns gave it a glowing review.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:28 AM   #27
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent Post

That website is a riot, but sad. I really feel for Buell owners. That lemon graphic is funny
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:41 AM   #28
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: How about the Speed Triple

You said you didn't believe I owned a Ducati.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:54 AM   #29
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Your Link? LOL

I checked out the site you posted, and KPaul seemed to get enjoyment from it. He's off the medicine now, so he gets amused easy. Now, tell me where any mention of any XB Lightning is on the site. I mean even ANY mention will do, good or bad. That is the bike the guy here is looking for, and since I'm stupid, please take direct quotes off the site and post them, since I couldn't find any. If you can't, it's just more of the same bullshyt from the same ole' bullshytter I guess. And you're smart right?? LOL
Old 06-12-2003, 07:55 AM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: How about the Speed Triple

You gotta get in line for the KPaul non-belief show.