Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-12-2003, 05:30 AM   #11
waepoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Another ''What to buy'' question!

If I look at this as a question of 'what bike do I wish a buddy would buy so I could swap out rides with him?' then I definitely would suggest the Buell. Lots of trick features, ultimate streetfighter styling, and uber-tight handling make that the obvious standout bike for me.

But, realistically, if it were my own money for an everyday bike, I'd probably go for the Speed 4. Not that Triumph is the gold standard for reliability, but my guess is that it's realistically the most owner-friendly bike of the bunch. And I'm a sucker for the Speed Triple 'bug' look.

The only bike of the three I've ridden is the M750, and I was underwhelmed. Unless you're willing to step up to the 900/1000, I'd skip the crusty and crotchety charm of the Monster.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2003, 05:36 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Good thing I read your post prior to telling him to look at a used VFR or a Concours.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 05:54 AM   #13
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Get the Buell, usable street power (aka twin powerplant), rides it's self and handles by thought transference. Maintenance is a breeze (got a hammer and a screwdriver?) It's comfortable, parts are relatively cheap and there are dealers in every town, almost.

The Duke is a beautiful bike, but the maintenance is very expensive and not easy to DIY, that coupled with the 750 and 800 are just not as quick as the buell. Parts are expensive and dealers are rare.

The Triumph, hmm, my Limey heart wants to say go for it, if you went for the speed triple that'd be ok, but the speed 4, I dunno, maybe if you want to be a hooligan on the freeway at 120 mph where all those cylinders can safely wind out.......shrugs?
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 05:55 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Oh nooooo......

You comment: "the speed four will be a bit more tedious to putt around on due to the narrower powerband of its inline 4." is sure to bring in KPaul.

You shouldn't uh otta done that.

Old 06-12-2003, 06:09 AM   #15
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

How about some more information. What kind of roads do you ride on? What things are important to you (light weight, low-end torque, top-end horsepower, etc.)? Do you ride in groups or by yourself? If you ride in groups, what kind of riding do you do with that group? If you ride by yourself, what kind of riding do you do by yourself?
Old 06-12-2003, 06:25 AM   #16
Vlad
Registered Member

All three are good bikes, but I have heard disappointing reports on the reliability of the buell and the triumph. It sounds like heresy, but the Duck is the most reliable of the three, as long as you do the maintenance on schedule. You can save major bucks by adjusting the valves yourself.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 06:28 AM   #17
Betamax
Founding Member

Buell? LOL. Check out www.mybuell.com and you'll be cured of that notion.

You know you want the Ducati. Just go buy it.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 06:30 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh nooooo......

The latest episode of the Power Rangers will be over in about 5 minutes and then I'm sure Mrs. Paul will be taking the lock off the computer.

He's probably got 15 links scribbled down and ready to post!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 06:37 AM   #19
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default they ALL suck ...

go fish.

kidding aside: if i had to choose between those three i'd probably opt for the wretched duc. they seem to have engineered the desmo drive train so that it's reasonably reliable. your checkbook will take a beating if it ever needs adjusting, but that'll be the admission price to the nicest sounding exhaust tunes this side of a grand prix track.

regarding the others: any sportster tuned to put out decent power will soon puke its guts across 300 feet of asphalt. and the triumph tiddler is out tiddled by five or six 600 cc supersports who do more for less.

that's my opinion, anyways ...
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:02 AM   #20
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Lease a bike

I would love to be able to rent a motorcycle for a week or two. But the only rentals I ever see are Harleys, and the ocaisional BMW. Shame no one thinks there is money to be made renting/leasing motorcycles.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote