Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-01-2003, 09:00 PM   #31
Mikey
Registered Member

Default Re: Hit Before Even Riding, Heads Up to Newbies

The real problem is the speed at which it will accelerate if you have a small lapse in judgement. More than enough to take you out. I could go on but I don't have the energy to respond anymore.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2003, 10:00 PM   #32
Jexter
Founding Member

Default Heads Up to Newbies

MY opinion is that since you don't agree with me, that you're a hopelessly pathetic imbecile. And you stink.

I would elaborate, but the very idea of diluting my amazingly brainy arguments down to your level, well...*yawn*

::RASPBERRY!::
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 02:30 AM   #33
Rude374
Registered Member

SV650, GS500...... these bikes aren't even considered sportbikes by some insurance companies, ask for quotes on different models before you even start to shop for a bike. They don't want you on a CBR if you are a newbie.... and I tend to agree with them.... sorry.... if size and weight are a concern then you will be more comfortable on a naked than a race-rep anyway.

Rude
Rude374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 03:03 AM   #34
thedude_4
Founding Member

About 2 years ago I bought a GSXR-750. I was 21 years old and my insurance was 56 dollars a month. Not bad for a GSXR. About 4 months after I bought it, it got stolen. Luckily my insurance covered it, and I was able to get the 1000. So, don't take the advice on not getting theft insurance, because it saved me about $8,500 dollars. Good luck.
thedude_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 06:10 AM   #35
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Try a different company.

EG, state farm writes based on displacement, not bike type (but they will only write to their customers).

EG, for me (30, male, single), 100k liability, 100k uninsured motorist (the big cost), my VFR costs ~$400/year to insure.

An EX250 costs me $220, and of that, 80% is for the 100k uninsured motorist coverage.

Also, the EX250/Ninja 250 is a great first bike and overall the best grins/$ apart from the suspension, but there are plenty of suspension shops which can fixd that right up. Also look at the EX500/Ninja 500.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 06:48 AM   #36
crazybike_37
Founding Member

You know, some might call that unethical and fraudulent, but I happen to think its completely justified in light of how badly insurance companies rape innocent consumers. Its a war man, and they've been winning for way too long.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:17 AM   #37
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Dual sport dirt bikes have been mentioned. They are a great idea. You will have immeasurable fun and learning on a DRZ400S or KLR. They are relly cheap to insure. You could get an old KLR for <$2000.

Also, avoid Progressive. they are expensive and they will NOT be there for you. State Farm is good. I hear goo things about Allstate as well.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:16 AM   #38
aokrongly
Founding Member

The difference in insurance between a "sport" bike and others is astronomical. I have a "cruiser" and my full coverage rates are about $400 per year. I have a friend who had the same issue and bought a "sport/touring" bike, which was essentially the same but fell into a different category and significantly cut the rate for him (which was about $4000 per year like you).

Good look. As a new rider myself (6 months) let me say that any day with the wind in your face on Any bike is better than a month in the best car!!
aokrongly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 11:17 AM   #39
Pacer
Founding Member

To be honest I don't think new riders belong on the street. I advise anyone who asks me how to get into bikes to buy a dirtbike. If you buy an old one you can resell it with minimal loss, and that is if you decide to sell it. I would possibly choose the dirt over street riding. That is where I can go as fast as I want, and not get into trouble with the cops, and when when you wreck at least there is no car behind you to run you over. The one thing this guy has to be ready for is the wreck. It may not happen, but there is a good chance it will. If you are not willing to wreck then I say don't ride. As far as which bike is right for a newbie I think a 600 is decent. No matter what bike you ride you have to control your speed. If you are not mature enough to control your speed you should even own a car. 600s are pretty docile if you obay speed limits. If you want to go crazy ride dirt. By the way sorry about continuing the moron thing, you caught me in the right mood.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 09:43 PM   #40
shaneking
Founding Member

As an instructor I have to tell you that most of my students *can't* control their right wrists and have a hard time keeping a Honda Rebel under control. Throttle control is one of the skills that seems to take a lot of time for some people, and a 600cc sportbike is not very forgiving.

New pilots shouldn't try to fly a fighter jet, new riders shouldn't try riding a supersport.
shaneking is offline   Reply With Quote