Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-01-2003, 12:55 PM   #21
chingwaboy
Founding Member

Default try AAA

i insured my bike through AAA, it costs about $650 a year full coverage (excluding medical) for a 97 ninja zx6r. i'm 20 and live in los angeles, so rates should probably be around the same for you too. if you get only liability the insurance is really inexpensive. you need to get membership though, that doesn't cost much either, plus there's roadside assistance in case your bike breaks down.
chingwaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2003, 01:17 PM   #22
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Re: Answer to life's problems for newbies

Funny, that's what I did back in '99 when I saw the insurance rates for a TLR.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 02:49 PM   #23
MrBear44
Registered Member

Default Re: Hit Before Even Riding, Heads Up to Newbies

Whether or not a CBR600 is appropriate to learn on depends on the maturity and mentality of the rider. I learned on an F3. It was 1995, and I bought it brand new. I still have it, although I have a couple of other bikes as well. Now, I was 37 years old when I started riding, and had quite a bit of track experience behind me in cars. What I liked about the 600 is that it was fairly docile below 7000 rpm, making it easy to learn on and friendly in the rain. IÂ’ve toured on it (4000 miles in a week and a half), and done track days on it. ItÂ’s pretty good all rounder. If you have the patience to take your time building your skill level, you can grow into this bike, and you wonÂ’t soon tire of it. If there is any doubt about your ability to resist temptation, go with something a little milder. I think the SV650 suggestion is great, because it doesnÂ’t have the top-end hit that a 600 four does, but is still a bike that you are very unlikely to grow out of. I also suspect the insurance hit will be much less. However, you wonÂ’t find one for $1,500, unless itÂ’s pretty ratty. Had it been around 8 years ago, it would probably have been my choice.

Good luck

MrBear44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 05:16 PM   #24
crazybike_37
Founding Member

Default DUDE!

You are a very wise man. Dude.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:28 PM   #25
Pacer
Founding Member

You said it better than me. If you control your right wrist you can ride just about anything. Most streetbike are as docile as you want them to be. The guy said he took a safety course, so he should understand this.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 05:37 PM   #26
kowalke67
Founding Member

Insurance isn't just about the cost of the bike and replacing it. It's about all that money you will need if you end up in physical therapy for 6 mos. or a year or more. It's also about the damage that may be done to another vehicle. A $1500 motorcycle or a $10,000 motorcycle doesn't change how much you owe someone when you smash their $35,000 car. How about the possibility of injuring someone? Insurance covers you for the medical costs of anyone you injure (plan on carrying a passenger ever?). Obviously riding well and riding smart limit the chance of you causing an accident but none-the-less accidents can happen to the best of us. Don't forget the fact that there are tons of people out there driving with no insurance or who are insured from crap companies which can be as bad as no insurance. Hey, the accident may be their fault but you are the one who is going to get f*&ked if they don't have coverage. Shop around for a better rate and/or get a bike that you can afford more than just liability on. It may not happen tomorrow or in ten years. But, when/if it happens you better be covered.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:46 PM   #27
crazybike_37
Founding Member

Geez, wake up and shop around a little before you go getting all discouraged, and furthermore, don't set your sights on a full-on sportbike for your first ride, either. Out of the kindness of my own heart, I went and did a check on progressive just now for myself for a 2002 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. I am 19, single, clean record, live w/ my parents, and ride every day. For minimum coverage, my 12 month quote was $211.

Just because that F2 isn't a 2004 CBR600RR doesn't mean shee-ott man. That thing will go around corners WAY faster than you ever thought you could, and can put your butt in jail or in the meat wagon alot quicker than you think, too. Buy somethin like a that Shadow I quoted, and discover how much fun grinding your pegs down to bloody stumps can really be. If you still want a sporty type bike, go for the 250 or 500 ninja. Fix it up, take real good care of it, buy some good tires, and ride the absolute ***** out of it. You'll be waxing the fannys of every wheelie-happy stunta through the curves within a 100 mile radius in a few months.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:47 PM   #28
crazybike_37
Founding Member

What are you? Rich, or an insurance salesman?
Old 06-01-2003, 06:57 PM   #29
everiman
Registered Member

So tell your broker the bike is a Honda C65, your insurance will be about 10 bux a decade. Later you can always say you musta had a bad connection and he misheard ya. Cell phones will do that.
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:51 PM   #30
Mikey
Registered Member

You of course assume that when he crashes it, he doesn't take himself or anyone else out. Sorry, I don't buy it. New riders do not belong on a CBR600.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote