Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-30-2003, 06:46 AM   #11
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: One more MOhawk Fantasy

Go to FORBES Mag online, to Columnists, to Rich Kaarlgard archives. In an early May '03 editorial, Kaarlgard talks about new research in non prescription NASIDS (non steroidal anti inflammatories). Also available at "Sports Injury Online". Not as much fun as buying a new bike, but might address the underlying problem, unless you are just looking for an excuse to get a bike.

Good luck. If you like the sportier side, but want a crusier you'll need it.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2003, 07:07 AM   #12
rsheidler
Founding Member

Since this is a fantasy, how about a Gurney Alligator? Got the riding position and reportedly is great fun in the twisties. $30-40 grand is a bit steep, perhaps, but you will get a lot more exclusivity than even an MV Agusta!

Or, if you are more concerned with the price-performance ratio, you could chop a CBR-RR -- I can just see it with extended fork, sissy bar, highway pegs and apehangers!

Glad to be of help

Bob

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 07:07 AM   #13
SmokeU
Registered Member

Default Re: Do I really need to say this?

Damn you beat me to it
Old 05-30-2003, 07:14 AM   #14
rsheidler
Founding Member

Nomad? Isn't that the 2-door sporty wagon Chevy sold from 55-57 (I think)? Does sound like it would be pretty kind to the aching joints, but might not be all that much fun in the twisties (if my memories of Chevys of that era are correct).

Good ones are pretty expensive, so the price/performance ratio would make a Custom Harley sound like a bargain!

Hey Longride, are we gonna get a travel report from your last trip? Can't wait to read about how many parts you lost, and to see the long-term Eazy-Leaker road test report.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 08:08 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

A Black Hills feature with plenty of pics could be in the works. Ashley and I have discussed it, and we are waiting for the Mighty JB to make his decision.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:34 AM   #16
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Unless you're really set on a cruiser, check out the Suzuki V-Strom. I traded my Ducati ST4 on one, for similar reasons to yours. The Strom is nearly as much fun, and has nearly as much character, but you get to sit up straight. Hard bags are available (aftermarket better than Suzuki). It needs a couple of minor, but well-documented tweaks (windscreen, FI adjustment), and then you're good to go. I did a 2100 mile trip up and down the Cali coast on mine, and it was great.

Resources:

V-Strom FAQ

V-Strom User Group

MO Review

Motorcycle Daily Review (also see two long-term test updates at MD)

Rider Magazine Review
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 08:57 AM   #17
JALacroix
Founding Member

Default ST4 to V-Strom?

Do you regret not waiting a year and getting the Multistrada?
JALacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 08:59 AM   #18
Tigercub
Founding Member

I hear ya. Do you want comfort, an easy ride, a machine that will last forever and always hold value, the last bike you'll own before buying that RV? Then you want a Harley Electraglide.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 09:13 AM   #19
ValkBandit
Registered Member

of the three you mentioned you'd prolly be happiest with the kawi. but you may want to consider a valkyrie, which in my opinion is a superior touring bike.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 10:37 AM   #20
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Here's my take on the subject...

I've never ridden or priced the Nomad but I assume that it's most likely the most expensive of the bunch. My closest parameter of comparison was a Mean Streak. That had decent power (for a cruiser), suspension was nice and good brakes. The details of the bike didn't win me over though.

The Vstar 1100 is a very good cruiser for the money and, in my opinion, it looks and feels less cheap and more refined than the Kawasakis. Easy to modify the engine and get good power/sound.

The Speedmaster would most likely be my choice after all because I like Triumphs. Good suspension, the brakes are better than on the America (don't go for the America, by the way), great looks, very unique and not a total Harley clone. Feels very good. The sound and power output leave a lot to be desired but the engine revs rather nicely and it's very easy to do simple mods that will have it sounding a bit meaner and putting more power to the pavement.

If you love Trumpets and are emotional about your bikes get the Speedmaster. If you like the best value for your money get the Vstar. The Kawasaki is more expensive and should feel a lot bigger, so only get it if you loved it after test riding all three.

Do test ride all of them and make your own decision.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote