Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-22-2003, 06:02 AM   #31
shaneking
Founding Member

Default Re: Newbie seeks advice on protective clothing

As far as riding in the heat I would recommend wearing all of your gear. Speed isn't the issue. The type of bike you ride isn't the issue. Hitting the ground is the issue. Do you wear your seatbelt? Assuming the answer is yes do you stop wearing it when it gets hot? Are the cars any more likely to see us when the thermometer gets over 80? Truly by now we all know that the majority of crashes happen close to home and at low speeds. If you think wearing gear in the heat is uncomfortable how about having the orderlies hold you down while the nurse scrubs out your road rash? I'll take sweating.

I have a one piece 'stich and when it gets really hot I just wear shorts and a t-shirt underneath it. With all of the vents open and the zipper not all the way to my neck it isn't so bad. I live in DC where it gets very hot and humid all summer.
shaneking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2003, 06:41 AM   #32
Captain_1
Founding Member

Whatever you decide on, make sure it is comfortable and convenient to wear. A closet full of protective clothing and boots can't help if your are not wearing them. I found out the hard way. I now keep a pair of boots, gloves and leather jacket in the garage next to the bikes so there is no excuse not to wear them even for a ten-minute ride.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:52 AM   #33
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

I think I would agree with all the above posts about the Aerostitch.....I haven't owned one, but I hear nothing but good things. I've even heard of people wearing suits (as in dress clothes) under their Aerostitch and then riding to work. You can't wear ANYTHING other than underwear and maybe a very light shirt underneath a set of one-piece leathers (well, I know I can't, anyway.) Plus, if you're a little bit broad at the shoulder like me, you can't get out of the leathers by yourself.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:04 AM   #34
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Florida summer protective clothing

I sympathise with your situation -- last time I rode in Florida was only May but still the heat and humidity was a killer -- much worse than 117 in the Southwestern deserts. I found myself frequently riding in t-shirt and jeans -- something I almost never do.

I would look into one of those mesh undershirt things with the body armour attached that you can wear under another jacket -- don't remember who makes them but they are advertised in the back of a lot of magazines. Then you could wear a pretty light jacket over that -- even denim or something like that, because the shoulder, elbow etc armour is fastened to the undergarment.

For pants, I would look into some of the armored jeans. I have not used them myself, but they are reported to have pretty good abrasion resistance.

I am not specifically familiar with the Joe Rocket products you mention, but in general, I think they make pretty high quality stuff (and Nicky Hayden is part owner of the company).
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:15 AM   #35
kdfman
Registered Member

I agree with the 'stitch & leather jacket combo.

I have a one-peice Roadcrafter that I use for commuting to work, weekend rides, etc and basically anything involving highway travel.

But as convienient as the 'stitch is, sometimes it's silly for those corner store, video, and diner runs in the neighborhood. That's when the leather jacket comes out for use. Sittin' around the house and decide to ride over for Chinese carry-out? No problem! Toss on your helmet, gloves and leather and go!

Brian
Old 04-22-2003, 07:45 AM   #36
BRIAN_1
Founding Member

I wear a Joe Rocket textile jacket & pants. I stay pretty warm/cool from 40~85 degrees, but boil at 90+. My jacket has vents, but at speed they push me around alot because they catch too much air. The pants are just plain hot & sweaty, especially in town. I think some draggin jeans and one of the Joe Rocket mesh jackets would be most appropriate for your climate. I live in Michigan so I don't have to deal with too many 90+ days.
BRIAN_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:57 AM   #37
crackerdaddy
Founding Member

I have the Phoenix jacket and pants as well as the Tourmaster GX air jacket and pants. The Phoenix is cooler but not as substantial (GX air has a liner, cordura reinforcements at key spots, and higher quality padding. All reports I have read have said the mesh stuff really does hold up fairly well for ONE CRASH ONLY. Its basically disposable after you wreck.

I usually wear the GX stuff (it fits me better than the JR and just seems higher quality, even though its not quite as cool) plus an evaporative cooling vest when its really hot. I cannot imagine not using mesh gear in the Texas summer, its a godsend. It may be slightly less protective than other options but it is a worthwhile tradeoff to avoid heatstroke, IMO.

I want a Stich but it's hard for me to justify the expense when I could only wear it for about four months of the year here.
crackerdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:14 AM   #38
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Hot weather riding gear

I feel the same way about hot weather gear up here in Michigan. I personally believe it is harder to ride in hot weather than cold since you can only do so much to keep cool (lots of vents and buckets of water poured on the skin?) but keeping warm has all sorts of options. From electrically heated grips, seats, and clothing to tall windscreens to Thinsulate to chemical heat packs, there is a solution to every shiver.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 04:20 PM   #39
12er
Founding Member

The only thing that will replace my stich is another one... I have 20k miles on a red one and it hasnt faded yet. This is in the cali sunshine to boot. Ive rode in 10F to 107F and stayed happy. Granted it was T shirt and shorts in the 107 and sweats under my jeans along with my electric jacket at the 10 mark. The venting works better than my Firstgear Kilimanjaro and is definitely tougher.

Spend the $700 and change, it will save you money in the long run. Well untill they mail you the cataloge... Too many goodies in there.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 06:53 AM   #40
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Another lower-priced option is the one-piece Fieldsheer Highlander suit- most of the same features as the 'Stitch for $300.