Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-21-2003, 06:52 PM   #21
Grappelli
Registered Member

Default Re: Newbie seeks advice on protective clothing

Simple. Get an Aerostich.. whichever you prefer.. then wait for someone like cycle gear to have a sale in the autumn/christmas, and get a set of leathers then. Unless you are tall or a bit fat (um.. me 6'4") you'll be able to get a decent set of leathers from about $300 in a sale.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2003, 07:01 PM   #22
GreyOne
Registered Member

Aerostitch is my first choice 90% of the time. I also have full leathers and the Teknik armoured flow through jacket for really hot days, but nothing else. The Aerostich has lots of pockets, zips from top or bottom which makes it easier to relieve yourself at a stop and looks better than bagged up full one piece leathers when you are off the bike. Lots of reflective material for night riding. You can step out of the suit and be properly dressed for other occasions.
GreyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:02 PM   #23
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Get the best

There's a lot of great protective gear out there. But I agree with the majority. An aerostitch one piece is the best single investment you'll make. When the weather gets hot, go with one of the mesh jacket/pants, either the Joe Rocket Phoenix or the First Gear stuff. If you go for the aerostitch, get the disgusting high viz yellow.

For more traditional leathers, First Gear makes excellent stuff. Even their boots and gloves are good. Dainese is, of course, excellent, but pricey. Sidi boots are top notch. Vanson is among the best line of jackets made.

In the helmet range, you already have an Arai, which is excellent, perhaps the best. I am a bit of a rebel in the helmet advice category. At minimum, it should be DOT and full face, or flip up, like the Nolan 100. Anything above DOT is, IMHO, not really needed.

But don't skimp and wear less than a full face. If you want to be comfortable and protected, you need to go for a hat with great ventilation and a comfortable lining. I tend to wear my helmet for hours, so I put some serious coin into what goes on my head. In general, I advise Arai, Shoei, Shark, and Nolan. Personally I prefer the Shark, but they are not really "legal" in the US. They are also mucho dinero. Fortunately mine was a gift.

One last thought. My bike has a headlight modulator and I find that it makes my rides safer. In fact, I won't ride without one.

By the way, excellent choice for a bike. The SV650 is hard to find any time. I work in a Suzuki dealership and we got our first shipment of SV650s in last week. We sold them in less than a week.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:46 PM   #24
obandoj
Founding Member

Go with an Easy Leaker
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:10 PM   #25
frankfilm
Registered Member

Has anyone had experience with Fieldsheer?

They have a Highland one-piece suit that is very similar to an Aerostitich.

I have a Hein Gericke two-piece leather suit.

I'd recommend a one-piece leather or Textile.

You need hip and knee protection.

Get Sidi, Alpinestars, Tecknic or similar style boots. They are worth it.

I've fallen a few times. Fortunately, I was going slow. I didn't have any injuries besides a brusied ego.
frankfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:27 PM   #26
shinnix
Founding Member

You are forgetting the dark or mirrored aviator sunglasses with sunglasses-chaps. And horn chaps for the aforementioned helmet.
shinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 03:12 AM   #27
southwindphoto
Registered Member

Default Florida summer protective clothing

I have a similar question.

I ride a Harley Soft tail heritage classic so speed is not the issue, but protection in summertime Florida is a real issue.

In the past if I was going further than the corner store, IÂ’ve just put on a leather vest and jeans. But, thatÂ’s not much protection in a mix-up. So what would you recommend for summer riding with 90 percent humidity and daytime temps reaching 90 degrees?

IÂ’ve looked at the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and pants, but question how well they will hold together and protect in a crash.

Member of
Florida Outdoors Writers Association
Harley Owners Group
southwindphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 03:39 AM   #28
cas4425
Founding Member

I just purchased a set of Joe Rocket Textiles, Ballistic 4.0 jacket and Revolution pants. Both have removeable liners(must have in Maine),light armor in all the right places (hips, back etc...) and are waterproof. I paid 350.00 total. I seriously considerd the Astrostitch but price was an issue for me. (wife was pissed I even bought a new bike let alone all the acc. to go with it). I would also recommend a good set of riding boots (AGV, Alpinestar etc). Regular street shoes and even crusier style boots have a funny way of flying off during semi high speed crashes. Have fun and keep it rubber side down!

Cory

01 RC51

cas4425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:41 AM   #29
steve_griffiths
Founding Member

Default Re: Florida summer protective clothing

Have a look at brosh.com, but be warned - the gear will keep you cool, but won't look cool.......
steve_griffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:56 AM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I just assumed that everyone used horn chaps. I mean that one is pretty obvious, right?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote