Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-16-2003, 05:11 PM   #11
TrackDaddy
Registered Member

Default Re: Ducati Monster 620 or Suzuki SV 650 S?

How can I say this politely... BUY THE SV!

Yes, the Ducati looks cool, but there is no comparison to its larger siblings. I've owned a couple of air-cooled Ducati 900s and they were great. But the 620 does not have THAT motor. Riding the 620 isn't that far removed from riding around on a lanmower-engined mini-bike. You just look cooler.

The SV, on the other hand, is a great all-around bike that will get you where you need to go. The 620 monster is an expensive toy by comparison. There are few times in life where less money gets you better stuff. This is one of of those times. Buy the SV and don't look back.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2003, 06:33 PM   #12
diing
Founding Member

I don't know the first thing about a Duc, but maybe I can put your mind to rest on the SV650 :

About two weeks ago I gained my leaners permit and have just purchased an SV650 here in Adelaide Australia.

Here there are limits on the engine size and power output of motorcycles that learners are allowed to ride for the first 18 months or so.

Being about 6'4, I was given an exemption from this limitation, and allowed to ride the SV, despite it being roughly 3 times more powerful than the average learner bike allowed by law.

I thought long and hard about the risks associated with learning on a powerful machine, vs. the risks with learning on a bike that was physically way too small for me. The I rode the SV650S and found it such a delight to ride, despite me having no idea about motorcycles.

I cannot tell you which of the two bikes re better, but I can tell you the SV is a top bike to learn on. The motor produces gradually increasing amounts of power as you increase the revs, so until you have developed some skills, just change up early. As I am learning to control the bike, I am finding more and more that the bike and I can do - they key thing is, the bike is not forcing me into situations I cannot predict or handle, but if I go looking to expand my skills the bike is ready to come with me.

Very occassionaly I will try somethign new on the bike to see what it can do, and come away both amazed and a little nervous about what a modern bike is capable of. But I guess this means there is some room for growth in what the machine and I can do as my skills grow.

My advice is not about which bike, but simply don't be put off by the size and power of the SV as a learners - as long as you can trust yourself to meticulaously learn each new riding skill in a controlled and gradual way, before applying it in earnest, the SV is a great bike to learn on, and I suspect also there is a lot more fun in it long after you have been riding for a while.

(I have been riding for a big 3 weeks now, and racked up only 60 hours in saddle, so I am no expert, but at least I can guys you a freshly experienced birds-eye on exactly what it is like to learn on an SV - possibly the best thing I have done in a decade!!!!)
diing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 07:37 PM   #13
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default MO: Ttest 'S' version!

"...We were just talking about an SV-650 Vs. 620 Vs. Buell comparison, and we're picking up the SV shortly..."

Make that the SV650S please. Both MO (and everybody else) has tested the regular SV in the past. I realize it's only a fairing, gearing, peg location and clip-ons that sepaate the two but.....those things do make a difference.

How's the Wind/Weather Protection? Headlight Performance/Viz? Comfort/handling Acceleration/Top Speed? All of these things would be different with the the 'S' version; and since you've already tested (and one of you owns) a regular SV, you could compare the two fairly. You can compare the engine changes (FI, ect) either way, so why not get the S and compare as mentioned above.

For either SV: How's the new ('02) front preload work/help? Comprehensive list of changes made in '03? As someone who is definetly getting an '03 SV, and leaning heavily towards the S version, I'd love to know how they compare. (If I could, I'd take a standard SV but with the S faring)

Reagular or S, I'm sure the test will be great!
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 12:00 AM   #14
layback
Founding Member

You make a very good point, When I first started riding, a bike with the performance of the sv650 would have been like one of the fastest bikes out there. better off starting out on something cheap.
layback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 12:52 AM   #15
richardnixon
Registered Member

Default NYC Motorcycling

I lived in NYC for 6 years. Based on my experience I would recommend that you buy a beater. You are a new rider. You live in NYC. If your beater disappears you won't be too upset.

If you have access to secure storage then considering a new motorcycle is a little less foolhardy. I am not sure how tall you are, but with the large number of metal grates, cobblestones and pot holes in NYC you may want to consider a dual sport or some other type of bike with a cushier ride.

Between the two bikes that you are considering I would have to recommend the Suzuki. I have owned several Ducatis. I have been very happy with the bikes (Monster 750, MH 900e and ST4s), but I think that you will find the 620 Monster to be somewhat underpowered 6-12 months from now. The Suzuki will provide you with more room to grow your abilities. It's not as cool, but it's a better bike.

New York city is a challenging riding environment. Always wear your protective gear (Full face helmet, Jacket, Gloves and Boots at the very least.) Pay very close attention to the street conditions. Leaves, Newspapers, Cobblestones, Metal plates are all very slippery, especially when wet. Have Fun!
richardnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 02:48 AM   #16
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default Don't get either....

for around 5 grand buy a used 2001 Buell M2, Vtwin power plant, which is still the most usable street bike engine configuration (sorry KPaul!), more torque than you can shake a stick at, handles like it's on rails (the bike will make a good rider out of anyone), cheap and easy maintenance and totally linear power, (the SV650 is, IMHO, still a little peaky).

It'll ride all day long at 85 mph, and it's comfortable.

Finally, when you feel the need for more power (and you will), it's easy and cheap to make the thing scream.

But oweing to the rabid anti- Harley crowd that frequents this site, I'm sure this suggestion will be thoroughly ridiculed. I stand ready with fire extinguisher in hand!
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 06:42 AM   #17
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't get either....

Huh? I mean, I think Buells are okay and all, but what are you smoking? On top of that, why anyone would even consider an M2 over any other Buell is beyond me.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 07:48 AM   #18
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't get either....

SV peaky? Have you looked at the dyno charts?

SV Dyno

M2 Dyno

The M2 has a flat torque curve from 3k to 5.5k RPM and then drops like a rock. The SV is flat from 3k to 6k and then bumps up by 10% over the next 1k RPM only to slowly decline after that.

The important part is the riding, of course. The M2 is an okay motor, but the tranny and clutch aren't as newbie friendly as the SV. Not a good starting point for riding.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 08:44 AM   #19
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Shake, Rattle and Roll

The old Buells are known to shake themselves apart. Motorcyclist had a Thunderbolt that did that. I rode a Cyclone and I was not impressed. Fit and finish are not on par to the Ducati or Japanese. Yes it has a flat torque curve but the tranny and clutch SUCKS. Fo a newbie I think a Buell M2 is not the correct choice
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 09:27 AM   #20
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default Re: Shake, Rattle and Roll

>

Not wishing to be a wise a$$ or anything, but did you ever ride anything built in Milwaukee that did impress you?
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote