Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-02-2003, 02:28 AM   #1
aknopak
Founding Member

Default Re: Tires for VFR 750

Hi rpt,

I suggest you have a long look at the BT-020. It works very well in the rain, wears slowly. In fact, my rear tire lasted 23,000 km. At one point they were a bit squared off because of highway usage, but 3 weeks of twist and turns during a holiday later they were nicely rounded again. I believe it is a dual compound tire, with softer rubber on the sides. I have used the tire to the edge, and never felt I needed more grip.

I have seen a tire-test featuring a VFR800i and all the major tire brands (I think it was in MCN), and the BT-020 was the big winner of the test.

aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2003, 03:02 AM   #2
MoeMoe
Founding Member

I for one really liked the 205's and then Dunlop put out the D220's. I have run them on my 600r Yamaha and on my FZ1 and I love them. They wear just as well for me and my riding style. The 205's that I had squared badly after some serious highway miles, which is what I do the most of, and then I got a chance to do the mountain thing with some friends and they rounded back out again. When those tires were done I had 14,000 on them. The 220's are pretty much the same tire but they have more grooves and they are deeper for better wet weather riding. After this lond winded responce I guess I have to say that I would suggest the 220's

Adam
MoeMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 03:25 AM   #3
VFRJunkie
Founding Member

For Sport touring I like the Metzler MEZ4's. Good wear, no cupping problems like the Dunlops have. I used these for years and loved them. However, they have a fairly round profile.

Now that I'm running the VFR on the track, I've switched to the BT020/010. Higher wear, but the tire's profile transforms the bikes handling.

VFRJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:04 AM   #4
jibosch
Registered Member

Used to have the D205's on My Buell M2L Cyclone. They lasted 6000 miles. Considered the D220's, but chose the new Pirelli Diablo instead. I figured that in an Emergency, I wanted all the Grip I could get! In Your case, check-out the Metzeler Sportecs, pretty much like the Diablo, but may wear slightly better, and can be purchased for less money. Metzeler and Pirelli have some sort of 'arrangement', so both tires are somewhat similar. The Diablos have much better grip than the D205's, plus the bike tracks straighter and turns-in easier. Go Figure! MO has tests on both. I would have considered the Michelin Pilots, but have not had good luck with Michelin, in the past, in the rain... And the D208 is a very-soft compound, and I doubt I would reach 3000 miles with them!
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:08 AM   #5
Slimer
Founding Member

Run, don't walk, and go buy yerself some Sportecs. I have a '96 GPz 1100, and the difference that those tires made compares favorably with a new motorcycle. I kid you not. Absolutely amazing. I haven't had them long enough, but they come highly recommended via the GPz mailing list. In fact, I've kept (informally) track of the tire recommendations and tire reports, and (names withheld), here are the top entries and comments, where there appears to be consensus on comments:

D220's wear /very/ rapidly, for no appreciable gain over the 205 or 207 (can't recall which it replaces).

D205's are well-received, if they can be found.

D207's slightly less so, but still well received.

Many are not happy with the BT010's or '20's. The 010's wear very rapidly (median is about 4k miles), the 020's ony slightly longer (5k miles).

The Macadam 100X's wear much better than the 010's *8-10K miles), with approximately the same grip.

The Continental ContiForce gets good reviews, esp. for stickiness, but doesn't last as long. As sticky as the '010s, but less expensive and about the same wear.

Despite Metzeler and Pirelli being of the "same" company, the Diablo and the Sportec *are* different tires. Nobody has run them yet, but they are supposed to be the Sportec + better wet and dry grip, *and* better wear. I'm optimistically sceptical.

The Pilot Sport hasn't been tried by many, but the reports have all been positive. Comparable to the Macadams, D207 and D205, Sportec, etc.. Yes, that covers quite a range, but they are sticky and wear well.

Summary:

100% (seriously, 100%) of the respondants felt the D220's wore too quickly.

Macadams and MEZ4's, D207, D205, Pilot Sport, and Sportec M1 all rate about the same (well).

I put on the Sportec M1's and am very happy (first Metzeler tire I'm happy with, that's saying alot). "Next" tire for me will probably be the Diablo or the a Michelin. Maybe a Continental, cuz they're cheap and if their price/performance ratio works out, well, what the hell. I'd rather have more sticky than not enough, right?

Oh. And for touring bikes, the Avon Venom X is fantastic.

Slimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:13 AM   #6
sarnali
Founding Member

I ran the D205's on my '97 VFR, I'm running D220's on my '01 1200 Bandit, the 220's have about 5k miles so far w/ no cupping on the front and a little squareing on the back, however I ride in the wet quite a bit and the 220's stick better than the 205's, also the Michillin Mac 100's are supposed to work well, The mac 90's I originally had on the Bandit stuck good but cupped as bad as the 205's
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:39 AM   #7
vfr44
Founding Member

The VFR list seems to like BT-20 rear, BT-10 front for both good traction and reasonable wear plus they are priced among all the others or cheaper. That said I just got a set of Michelin Pilot Roads for my 96 VFR at a $20/30 premium to dunlops or bridgestones just to try something different plus lots of good reports from europe where they have been available for a while. FJ1300 list seems to like them also.
vfr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:58 AM   #8
nbyers
Registered Member

I have a CBR1000F which currently has the Metzler Z4's. My previous set was Pirelli MTR23's and I agree that the Metzlers have a more rounded profile which affects handling. They feel very secure and seem to wear well but handling is appreciably slowed, which is not a good thing on a big heavy bike like the 1000F.

Not to knock my CBR; it's been a long term love affair.

If I was buying tires today I'd try Michelin's Pilot Road. Pretty soft compound, good for generally cool weather as we have here in Seattle most of the time. Check out Bike magazine's review of the Michelin Pilot series (Road, Supersport, Race compounds) in this month's issue.

nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:58 AM   #9
john
Founding Member

Man, i cant get sportecs to wear worth a crap. even with the pressures WAY up there for slabbin, that tire is getting eat up fast. my 207's will have outlasted them by 1000 miles i think.

i got about 2x the wear out of the macadam 90x that came stock on the bandit as either of the 2 above.

Old 04-02-2003, 06:08 AM   #10
Slimer
Founding Member

However, the Macadam 90x isn't nearly as sticky as either of those tires is. The 207's and the Sportecs are *sport* tires (not sport/track, but sport, sort of between track and touring. With another bike, I thought I'd buy less sporty and go stickier if need be. Well, stickier needed be and it wasn't there, and I very nearly lowsided several times (felt it slide....), and I was /not/ happy. That was with BT45's. The stock on the GPz is a BT54, which is rather hockey-puck like. hard round and blank. emphasis on hard.

Consider the Macadam 100X or the Pilot Sport, but with the type of ridng you do, you might not care.

Slimer is offline   Reply With Quote