Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-02-2003, 10:08 AM   #11
VictoriaVFR
Founding Member

Default Re: Tires for VFR 750

I just put a set of BT020s on my 93 VFR 750. I know there are riders that put a 010 on the front but Bridgestone recommends running the same tire front and back.

I previously ran D207s. I would have to say I like the BT 020s much better. If I had to summarize the differences it would be that it takes much less steering input to navigate a turn then with the 207s. The bike just feels more "flickable" and is more enjoyable to ride.

The 020s are made from a harder compound and should last longer to boot. Good luck.
VictoriaVFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2003, 10:32 AM   #12
merv
Founding Member

My experience with my VFR750 on New Zealand roads with coarse chip seal are the original Dunlops (can't remember what code they were) did 12,500kms - front and back wore at the same rate so I replaced both. The Dunlops always felt a bit squirmy. Next set I got were Metzeler MEZ2 and they transformed the bike and it was like running on rails it corned so well and they lasted 13,000kms. Next set the MEZ2 was obsolete, replaced by the MEZ4 so I bought those. Immediate impressions were a harder tire with less grip and made the bike chatter a bit on turns with corrugations on the road. I thought what the hell, they will last. Bad news, they only did 8,000kms so they are crap - no grip, no life. I stirred up the importer and got told they had a harder carcass and softer rubber. So all up a bad tire for the VFR. I then switched to Michelin Macadam 100X but have only done about 5,000 on those so far so don't know how long they will last. The feel more squirmy to ride on (like the Dunlops were) but seem to have good grip and I hope they last. To compensate for the softer feel I have screwed the rear damping up 1/4 turn and that has made the bike feel very good again. Basically the VFR does seem to wear front and back at about the same rate though it tends to be the middle first at the back and the sides at the front as you would expect so I always replace the tires in pairs and I have stuck with matched pairs.

Just don't bother with MEZ4 is all I can say.

Friends swear by BT020 but I have no experience on those.

Cheers

Merv.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:43 AM   #13
Cherii
Founding Member

Default Get on the VFR List!

If you want to know anything and everythng about VFRs, get on the VFR list at www.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr-list/ .
Cherii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:47 AM   #14
TLS_MAN
Founding Member

I have about 2k miles on Michelin Pilot Road tires and love them. I will probably get at least 5k miles on them. They stick as good as the Sportec M1's, which lasted less than 2k miles on my TL1000S. A friend put them on his ZX12 after two sets of Pilot Sports and loves them. I ride in the North Georgia Mountain roads every weekend and have leaned over far enough to wear the Michelin man off the edges of the tires. For mileage comparison, I have 48k miles on the TL and have tried all the different brands, and have only gotten over 6k miles out of the Michelin 90 and 100x tires, all the others last less than 2.5k miles on the TL. Hope that helps.
TLS_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 12:44 PM   #15
webdev511
Registered Member

Default Michelins...

You can't get Macadams anymore. They have been replaced by Piolt Roads. I have one on a rear wheel but haven't mounted it yet.

The wear has been good on the Macadams and I'm even going to do a second track day on them.
webdev511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:24 PM   #16
rpt
Registered Member

Thanks ppl for all the feedback.

You've been very helpful.

As I just need to change the rear tire I'm going to get a D205 again. If not possible (don't know if in Portugal they're still available) I'll get the D220.

Remember:

rubber in the down side (at least one wheel...)
rpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:52 PM   #17
stormcloud
Founding Member

I can happily recommend the 010/020 combination. My '98 800 came with 020 front and back. I wasnt too confident in the handling, so swapped the front 010 from my VTR to see if it helped.

The difference was ENORMOUS - transformed is a good description. Confidence is way up.

Also, a Brit magazine did a test of wet weather tyres and the 010's were an outright winner.

The reason for the 020 rear is to get increased wear, and I've not had a problem with grip in any riding situation, including hard exits on my VTR1000.

Part of my like for the 010 is psychological - knowing it's a grippier tyre in all conditions and use, but there certainly is a dynamic difference INCLUDING when just putting around town - more neutrality, linearity, lightness etc etc.

I'm also very happy with the wear at the moment.

DONT believe you have to have 020 front if that is what you have on the rear!

Contact Bridgestone yourself if you have to, they told me the combo IS approved by them (Australia).

The profile and tread pattern are different but they still compliment each other .

Here's some sites with tyre threads and other VFR stuff:

www.vfrworld.com

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/

http://www.vfrriders.com/

http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/

I havent ever had a brand bias - but my own experience with the Bridgestones means I will not look anywhere else for my next tyres - they'll be 010/020 Fr/Rr (NB this combo suits the VTR beautifully).

"when you find a good thing, stick to it"

Cheers

stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:52 PM   #18
stormcloud
Founding Member

I can happily recommend the 010/020 combination. My '98 800 came with 020 front and back. I wasnt too confident in the handling, so swapped the front 010 from my VTR to see if it helped.

The difference was ENORMOUS - transformed is a good description. Confidence is way up.

Also, a Brit magazine did a test of wet weather tyres and the 010's were an outright winner.

The reason for the 020 rear is to get increased wear, and I've not had a problem with grip in any riding situation, including hard exits on my VTR1000.

Part of my like for the 010 is psychological - knowing it's a grippier tyre in all conditions and use, but there certainly is a dynamic difference INCLUDING when just putting around town - more neutrality, linearity, lightness etc etc.

I'm also very happy with the wear at the moment.

DONT believe you have to have 020 front if that is what you have on the rear!

Contact Bridgestone yourself if you have to, they told me the combo IS approved by them (Australia).

The profile and tread pattern are different but they still compliment each other .

Here's some sites with tyre threads and other VFR stuff:

www.vfrworld.com

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/

http://www.vfrriders.com/

http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/

I havent ever had a brand bias - but my own experience with the Bridgestones means I will not look anywhere else for my next tyres - they'll be 010/020 Fr/Rr (NB this combo suits the VTR beautifully, too).

"when you find a good thing, stick to it"

Cheers

stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 03:58 PM   #19
nbyers
Registered Member

Default How about for a CBR1000F?

Has anyone put the 010/020 front/rear combination on a CBR1000F or a Blackbird?

I was thinking Pilot Roads next but you MOfos are making a good case for the Bstones.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:29 PM   #20
john
Founding Member

yes, i would like to try either the new avon 45/46 or else try the SuperMaxx.......i have heard good things about them from different people, ranging from trackday guys to motorcycle couriers.

What i do not like about the 207's or the bridgestones is that since the tread doesnt go across the middle, the local m/c shops wouldnt renew the registration even thought tires had 1000 miles and tons of tread.

They wanted to measure tread at the center, i said you idiots, that tire never has tread in teh middle. sheesh. Both the local suzuki and honda houses said this. bastards.