Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 03-30-2003, 08:24 AM   #11
grubz916
Registered Member

Default Re: Help Getting Wife To Ride Again

Is one of her girlfriends looking to ride? When my wife was learning to ski, she had the most fun when she was learning with her friends, not trying to follow me and feeling that everyone is waiting for her to catch up.

I do stress here what othres already have. Do NOT push her along if she doesn't want to be. Forcing someone to "enjoy" a sport is a great way to further misery.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2003, 11:17 AM   #12
Thig
Founding Member

Don't push it. I would love for my wife to ride, but is has to be her decision. If I pushed it and something happened I could never forgive myself.
Thig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 04:35 AM   #13
Sam_Freed
Registered Member

Default I vote with Haru

Option 1: Date a girl who (thinks she) rides and go bonkers because she goes too slow, does stupid/dangerous stuff and have to spend the whole ride babysitting her.

Option 2: Date a girl who wants to ride pillion and spend a beautiful day with her arms and legs wrapped around me, able to reach back and grab a squeeze whenever I please, sharing the intimacy of taking the curves together, and having the peace of mind that I will be the master of our mutual destiny.

Hmmmm, let me think . . .
Sam_Freed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 04:01 AM   #14
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

The bike itself matters. Although I dig the old CB360, it ain't confidence inspiring. The GS is not much of a great ride either. I'm not saying that she needs a supersport, but a bike that feels safe is helpful.

But that is for later. For now, she needs to get hapy with the whole idea. Let her be a passenger for a few thousand miles. Time will help. Zero pressure in the interim is important. Let her bring it up.

I also second the motion for a little dirt bike. It is hard to be afraid of an XR100. you can pick one up used for $1500 and then sell it for $1500 if it doesn't help. Of course, to make it fun, you need a dirt toy for yourself too......
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:32 PM   #15
shaneking
Founding Member

Thanks for the replies. The thoughful comments did give me some greater perspective. The worst thing that happens is that I have a second bike of my own to ride!

Shane
shaneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 05:02 AM   #16
jibosch
Registered Member

This is My Second Post... And although I believe that Your Wife, REALLY does not wish to ride, and should perhaps not... now, I 'Strongly Suggest', to perspective Women riders, that they rent a Scooter, for a couple of days, and deal with the Traffic. If they make it through that 'Ordeal', usually they have no problem with a Motorcycle. If the Traffic is going to Spook them, it is a much quicker, and cheaper, way to find-out. Since I live on Miami Beach, usually We do this on South Beach - a very-usy Tourist area. Good Luck!
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote