Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 03-17-2003, 11:47 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Windshield or Faring for a 1989 Susuki GS500E

Is there a motorcycle junkyard near you? Often you can find old windshields or fairings that could be adapted. You'll have to use your ingenuity.

You may also be able to find a top triple clamp for the later models that will fit. Then you can go with tubular handlebars.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2003, 12:10 PM   #2
ValkBandit
Registered Member

National Cycles just released a fairing just for naked bikes. It's called the "F15." Check it out at:

http://www.nationalcycle.com/newrelease/nc/f15/
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 02:09 PM   #3
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Good Call on the Tubular Bars

I have not sat on an older GS500 for many years so can't comment on the riding position, but many beginning riders find slightly higher, wider bars make the bike easier to ride. Plus, you have so many more choices to get just the right fit.

Can probably find a replacement top triple clamp for just a few bucks from a bike salvage company.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 02:56 PM   #4
chucker6
Registered Member

Givi has some great looking generic fairings, similar in style/size to the Ducati Monster type fairings. Check them out at http://store.yahoo.com/azmotorsports/svwinandfair.html It is on AZ Motorsports SV650 page, but they are universal fit.
chucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 04:52 PM   #5
ciao
Founding Member

The Vetter Windjammer was a wonderful product that had nothing at all to do with squids, who came about much later.

The Windjammer came about at a time when Z1s and Commandos ruled the roads, but with their sit-up ergonomics were woefully ill suited for long distance riding. A Windjammer made the likes of a CBR750 or a Z1 a top-notch cross-country mount - with effective wind and weather protection, leading edge style, frame-mount handling benefits and a couple deep rider-accessible storage bins that could carry a bucket of ice and a six-pack for that rip across the desert (ya ya, I know...).

All of this was years before the Gold Wing debut in 1975, and for years after that the serious bikers opted for a 'jammer'd Z1, CB or XS - taking the fairing off when not touring - and mocked the Gold Wing as grandpa's ride.

Only now, some thirty years later, are we given bikes like the FJR1300 that might come close to the same ethic of cross-country touring that the Windjammer introduced.

With the likes of the Z1 the Japanese answered our demand for performance, but only the Windjammer answered our desire to take performance cross-country,

ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 05:13 PM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Windshield/Fairing for 89 Suzuki GS500E

I had a Vetter Windjammer on a 78 Suzuki GS750. Those things were the shyt back then. Even had a built in cig lighter and the little round pop out vents on the windshield. Brings back the memories.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:52 PM   #7
GogglesPaisano
Founding Member

Might want to check out www.ricepaddymotorcycles.com

Of course a generic "cafe fairing" from www.denniskirk.com might work with a little trimming.

-=Goggles=-
GogglesPaisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 08:20 PM   #8
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Vetter? Yuck! Windjammer? Ick!

Is your girlfriend 87? Did you meet at a Shriner's dance? Jeez!!!

The GS500 is a sport(y)bike! Here's what you do:

Go to the Buell dealer.

Order up a flyscreen for a Buell S1 and the brackets for an M2

Pick a cool color(it should be about $99 for everything, painted! Plus Targa or one of the other aftermarket windscreen companies sells them in smoked and carbon fiber for $120ish)

Bolt that shiznitz on.

Enjoy good wind protection up to 90 mph, especially if your lady is fairly small.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #9
brained
Registered Member

Default GS500E generic fairing from ebay

I have a 1993 Suzuki GS500E and I'm looking for a fairing as well. I haven't ordered one yet but this generic windshield from this ebay store Motorcycle Shields looks promising.

http://stores.ebay.com/Motorcycle-Shields

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUZUKI-GS550-All...QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps
Brained
brained is offline   Reply With Quote