Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 03-04-2003, 03:33 PM   #41
scrooble
Founding Member

Default Re: What 250cc bikes fit tall blokes

Well I'm Australian, and I don't hear anyone here complaining about having to ride 250s for 2 years before getting their unrestricted license. While most new riders I talk to yearn for a bigger bike, they are still quite happy learning on a 250. I just don't understand how a bunch of people living in a country half way around the world from us could create such indignation over laws that don't effect them in any way whatsoever. Oh, to those who have the imagination to equate licensing laws with civil liberties and freedom in Australia, thanks for caring but you're looking in the wrong direction. I'm more worried about Australia's internet laws restricting freedom than licensing laws restricting the engine capacity of the bike I ride.

John
scrooble is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2003, 03:48 PM   #42
scrooble
Founding Member

I reckon as a learner you're better off with a bike without a fairing - cheaper to fix if you drop it. Mate of mine rode a Honda Spada - he's about 6 foot 1 and he was ok on one. Or alternatively you can move to NSW where you can ride anything up to 660cc and under 150kw/tonne...
scrooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 03:52 PM   #43
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: Whenever one talks bikes that fit...

I think the current Brit limit is 33bhp for starters.

Good God, can you imagine the rolling hazard a 33hp Road King would be. But it could *still* be loud, Buz. In fact, if you just take the headers off, you might lose so much compression that 33hp could be within reach. Requisition one (1) each: NASCAR resrictor plate, and voila: loud, and slow.

But hey, England is a small country, man, so it would take about the same time to go coast-to-coast on the 33hp Geezer Glide as it does here on a 95-incher, right?
Old 03-04-2003, 04:01 PM   #44
smythie
Founding Member

I currently ride a VTR 250 (I'm from Sydney) and I must say that it is a fantastic start up bike. A bit pricey to buy new, but I have got mine down to around 2:00 laps at Eastern Creek. I am 5'8" and I fit fine, the reach to the bars is probably a bit short if you are going to hold a tight tuck for a while though. I think you might find that if you have a tall torso, you will cop too much wind though.

The only hassle I have had with it was the front tyre, I found it really easy to lock it up. The OEM tyres (Bridgestones) are terrible. I currently ride with Dunlops, a GPR 70 (GP production tyre) and an Arrowmax GT501 on the rear, both standard sizes.

It doesn't turn in quite as nicely as the Arrowmax front does, but I have never locked the front up on the road. And the GPR 70 has lasted me 15000 km + 2 track days and around 300km or so on dirt, which is easily twice what I thought I would get out of it (it is a racing tyre and so reasonably soft). I reckon there is probably another 2000km left on it. When this tyre locks up, it is progressive and won't tuck until you have been sliding for ages.

The bike handles almost as well as any other on the road, which means tons of corner speed, and flicks about with so much ease. Don't worry about rear traction, you don't have enough power to overcome it in the dry, so you can wind it on sooo early in the corner. 32 hp won't get many people's horn going, but the bike can get up to 150km/h alright, and hold 120km/h through most terrain if you are tucked well. I have done a bit over 160km/h down the Eastern Creek straight, which is probably it's top speed, but I have been told they have done 180km/h+.

Have you ever seen a 250cc go around the outside of an SP1 before, it is a fabulous feeling

Tony

Old 03-04-2003, 04:41 PM   #45
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: While we're at it

The law of unintended consequences rearing it's ugly head again?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 01:09 AM   #46
Richard_Ellis
Registered Member

I found the Yamaha FZX250 (Zeal) to be ideal. An unreal learners bike.

Not only does it suit larger riders (height and weight), but its naked (cheaper to fix if you drop it!) and it also goes very well. Revs to 15,500 and has 39.5 PS, the same as the typical CBR250R.

I really wanted a CBR250R but found it unsuitable for a tall rider. In hindsight Im happy I got a naked bike instead.

The engine is bulletproof (its coped with me running it near to and sometimes beyond redline every gear change for a year or two!). It LOVES to rev and does so very smoothly and without hesitation.

Handles well. Very predictable. Great brakes.

The engine is from the Yamaha version of the CBR250RR: the YZF250 (if I remember right). Sometimes known as the "R2"... a baby brother of the R6 (sort of...witha bit of imagination!). It has been slightly modified to produce a fair bit more mid-range torque, and lower the redline a bit. If you see the YZF engine you will quickly see the external similarities: they look the same.

They come in two versions in Australia: one with a mini "bikini fairing" and one with a normal round headlight (like a ducati monster or similar).

It will sit on about 6000 revs at 100kmh in 6th. It will go beyond 150kmh indicated (I ran out of road). Its very zippy around city areas, as its quite quick up to 80 or 100kmh.

Power is OK at 4000 revs. Gets better at 6000. At 7000 it really comes online, and runs through to around 11,500-12,000 revs where it is usually best to change gears. (You can run it to redline without a problem, and by mistake once I went 1,500 revs beyond redline and didnt have an issue)

Prices are around AUD$5,000-$6300 depending on k's, how old (say 1999-2001), and whether its private or through a dealer etc etc.

Mine has done 10,000km and the engine has zero signs of problems or signs of age despite being ridden quite hard. And still starts immediately first time even after a few weeks in the garage. I guess a history of regular oil changes and scheduled maintenance are a good thing to look for.

(Just a matter of time before that R6 or FZ-1 is purchasedm to replace my Zeal!)

Richard_Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 05:27 AM   #47
SRMark
Founding Member

I've been kicking around the idea of a CR500 or KX500 super motard. Seen a few nice examples. Very nice for painting black stripes out of corners. And those bikes were built to be thrown down. Very cheap to put back together too. But my body isn't, so I've not moved ahead on the project. I need to cultivate my insanity a bit more. Maybe Aussie boy can graduate to one of those after he goes through the learning period.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 05:33 AM   #48
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Whenever one talks bikes that fit...

Since when did RKs start making 33 HP? Did H-D redesign the twincam. I'm thinking with the pipe removal and covering up that unsightly hole in the air intake I can cut her down to about 15 hp.

I could just have unburned fuel pouring out the exhaust port and igniting on the cases. Now that will save more lives than loud pipes any day!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 08:32 AM   #49
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Definitely insane! My brother has a KX500 and I've ridden it a few times (in the dirt + out in the woods)... insane power... makes my KX250 feel like it's tied to a stump. That bike actually scares me (which may or may not be saying much, but for what it's worth, I have a healthy fear of that sucker!). It's not even that it has some insane power-band, just that it has such mongo power in general that you can get in a whole peck of trouble way too fast. With just moderate gearing, that bike will probably do 100mph (or close enough)... a friggin' dirt-bike! It's just loopy I tells ya, loopy!

Then there's the problem of kicking that bastard over... gotta have a whole lotta a-s-s

Not that I'm saying it's a bad idea... it might be insane, but the idea.. the -concept- of a motard CR/KX500 rocks! "Go directly to jail, do not pass go, and you'd better bring more than $200 for bail!" LOL!

Dang.. now ya got me thinkin' about buying my bro's bike! .. just gotta find someone to leave my belongings to in my will first

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 02:03 PM   #50
Fangit
Founding Member

Default Re: Gun Laws in Australia are a success you morons...

Hey Buzglyd, have you ever been in Europe or Australia? Have you ever checked out the standard of living ratings? YouÂ’ll find quite a few countries like Sweden and Canada ahead of the US. And AustraliaÂ’s rank is very similar to the USÂ’s. The price of gas in Australia is only fractionally higher than in the US unlike in Europe. So no, your theory is wrong in Australia at least.

I love the way you and right-wing Americans seem to think the US invented freedom. Land of the free? Why? Because you can pack a handgun? Because you imprison more of the population than any country except maybe Iraq or China? You guys scream "infringement on civil rights" against any restrictions regarding safety or environment issues involving guns, cars, etc but you are too blind to even notice the very important civil rights the Republicans are removing with all these oppressive powers given to intelligence agencies and the police in the name of the war on terrorism.

I also love the way you think youÂ’re going to stop someone stealing your stuff because you own a gun. Do you answer the door with a gun drawn? Yeh, that would be living in freedom. Yes, petty crime is higher in other countries, but thatÂ’s what insurance is for. IÂ’d much rather have one or two petty robberies in my lifetime than live in fear of my neighbors or a run a 50 times higher risk of being shot.

In some areas the US does allow more freedom but believe me in others it does not. Two examples, all USÂ’s laws involving liquor are draconian by other western country standards and; a picture is required on a drivers license which is effectively an ID card.

Crazybike says "lets suggest the use of common sense and discretion in place of all-encompassing laws and regulations". It is insane to think that everybody can just do whatever they want and rely on peoples good common sense and discretion. It seems you guys believe the only way to be truly free is to have no laws at all and technically that might be right, but it would only ever work if you were the only person on the planet.

There's no doubt, however, that laws need to be made using "common sense and discretion". And thatÂ’s the issue, where do you draw the line? People have different opinions. I might think we draw the line at handguns, you might think assault weapons or rocket launchers are OK. You might think driving indy cars on the street is OK, I might think common sense tells me a few safety and environmental regulations might be in order. And yes sometimes laws do go too far.

I came here because I was thrown the opportunity to live in and experience another country. I like America and I like Americans. It's definitely one of the best places in the world to live and I'm even considering citizenship. Just as you do, as long as I live in a free country, IÂ’ll criticize whatever I believe is wrong and praise what I think is right, whether it be in Australia or the US. We have similar cultures and we also have the same internal political struggles between the left and right. And I have good friends from both ends of the spectrum.

Sorry for the rantÂ…

Fangit is offline   Reply With Quote