Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 03-04-2003, 12:05 PM   #31
pbx
Founding Member

Default Re: While we're at it

Basically what I was insinuating with my sarcastic (and funny, you forgot to mention funny) comments is pretty well covered in my second post.

If you can explain how displacement-tiered licensing is qualitatively different from the other restrictions I mention in that second post -- restrictions which red blooded Americans like ourselves are currently living under without visible signs of revolt -- please do.

I like the idea of "be reasonable and use common sense," but logic is acceptable too.

pbx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2003, 12:15 PM   #32
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: While we're at it

Irrespective of my post above, I would prefer to have the industry act more responsibly, rather than have government intervention.

But the fact is that the highest performance sport bikes are being marketed specifically to inexperienced young males, and if a 17-year-old boy walks into the local Yamahondazuki dealer and seems to have the cash (or parents who will co-sign the note), he will be pushed toward something like an R6, CBR600RR or the like, and will shown videos of race footage and stunts etc while they wait for the check to be verified, then they point him out onto the street with no questions asked.

In the US, they do market entry level bikes for small kids, which is great, if you happen to have motorcycling parents. If you didn't learn on dirt bikes as a kid, there are not really many choices offered. I don't know when I last saw a 250 Ninja on the showroom floor of a Kawasaki dealer -- whenever I asked (looking for one for my daughter) I was told I could order one. When they noticed that she was only 5' tall, then they tried to steer her to a mid-sized cruiser instead -- which she didn't want. Only place that even tried to steer her to something appropriate was Ducati, where they showed her a 600 (now 620) Monster.

When I lived in Europe and went into a dealer to window shop, the salesperson would quickly try to ascertain my experience and skill level, and would subtly steer me to bikes appropriate to that level.

When I bought my first streetbike (25+ years ago), the local Yamaha dealer steered me to an RD400, threw in a riding class (similar to MSF) and refused to let me ride the bike home because I didn't have a motorcycle endorsement, even though I had been trail riding for years. They loaned my a ramp and tie downs and helped my load it in the back of my truck. I came back to buy several more bikes there, as well as spending a lot on parts, gear and accessories. Good, long term business philosophy, in my opinion.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 12:20 PM   #33
Andrew_Mai
Registered Member

Default Re: What 250cc bikes fit tall blokes

If I lived in Australia, I'd certainly take a close look at the Honda VTR250. We don't get them here in the USA, but if we did, I'd almost certainly own one.

Andy
Andrew_Mai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 12:25 PM   #34
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Whenever one talks bikes that fit...

In Germany, the tiered licensing is based on hp not cc, (at least a few years ago when I lived in Europe) so many big bikes, including Harley, had optional, low powered versions (I think it was 27hp) for those with L plackets. I always found it amusing to see people pay extra for lower power!

The advantage over buying a lower powered bike to start with is that one you get your full license, the bike can be converted to its normal power.

If we WERE to do tiered licensing here, I think something like that makes more sense than a cc limit (for one thing, big guys can find something that they fit).

I look forward to hearing more about how your upgrades work.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 12:40 PM   #35
pbx
Founding Member

The VTR250 is cool -- especially the trellis-framed Monster-knockoff version (don't know if they sell that one in Oz or not).

Also, MZ makes a quartet of 125cc singles with grown-up styling. Granted, they only make about 15hp, but they seem very nice. Where else will you find a 125cc super motard? (Again, I don't know if they sell these down your way.)

I'd probably go with a KLR250 though, as somebody suggested above. Tall, versatile, probably good resale, yada yada.

Tell us what you end up getting!
pbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 01:51 PM   #36
maccasmark
Founding Member

I'm 6 foot 4 inches tall. And I had a Suzuki Across - which is generally regarded as the 250cc sports bike most suited to taller riders. And it's one of the faster 250 4 strokes (revs to 18,000).

Suzuki don't sell the Across anymore, but there are plenty of second hand ones available. Try to get one with 20,000km or less - as most 250's will have been thrashed (mine certainly was).

If you're more interested in fun, than comfort. The Aprilia RS250 and Suzuki RGV 250 2 strokes are absolutely awesome. I rode an RGV for a few months - about 350kms per day was my limit.

Regardless of whatever civil rights the other guys are crapping on about. I found the 250cc limit of enormous benefit. It really helps to start on a bike that you can thrash the crap out of. It eliminates a lot of fear, and allows you to concentrate more on improving your riding skills.

And after 12 months, you really appreciate the bigger bike.

Some of my friends did not learn via the 250cc limit - and it shows in their riding style. You kinda need to learn how to crawl before you can walk.

maccasmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 02:42 PM   #37
crazybike_37
Founding Member

I am, in fact, and believe you me, our "fine" collegiate system has certainly tried. I even go to a community college, for Petes sake, and the professors are STILL mostly liberal democrats with a personal agenda.

I am a Christian however, and my belief that Jesus Chritst died around 2,000 years ago as payment for all the world's sin, and that the Holy Bible is the infallible, inspired word of God, is not to be taken lightly.

I'm not about to abandon my convictions and faith just because some ignorant scholar thinks them stupid or irrational.

I have reasons, I have faith, and I have proof, and therefore steadfastness against the lies that all of modern science does not support the Bible, Old and New Testaments.

Weren't expecting that, were ya?
Old 03-04-2003, 02:54 PM   #38
red916
Founding Member

I agree, Lets get all the newbies on GSX-R1000s and R1s. Tiered licensing makes no sense.
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 03:34 PM   #39
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I have a young female friend who goes to Cal State San Marcos which bills itself as "progressive." We all know what that means. A bunch of reactionary lefties who haven't gotten over the 60s.

It's amazing the stories she tells about bringing up any opinion counter to the profs and how they shout her down (openmindedness at work I guess).

She told me just the other day in one of her communications classes the teacher spent an hour and a half railing against President Bush.

I'm 38 and survived the Political Science wing at SDSU. You can imagine there weren't a whole lot of right wingers there either.

Good for you. Carry on.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 03:37 PM   #40
sanchin
Registered Member

I've had my 92 KLR 250 for many years and it makes a great first bike. It is light, reliable, and handles well. Power isn't good but no 250 is going to be too fast. Being able to go off-road is a great side benefit. I've had 3 sport bikes in the last 5 years, but my never considered trading the KLR.
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote