Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-15-2003, 12:39 PM   #1
jck22903
Founding Member

Default Don't try this ...

I've heard that a sharp (new) "cheese grater" (Bondo tool) will do the trick for the kind of operation you're hoping to perform.

I don't think that you'll have any luck with sandpaper. You need to remove a fair amount of material.

What kind of tires are you on? You should try some of the dual-compounds that are out today; they're really pretty good. I've done trackdays on (Bridgestone) BT-020s; mounted on a CBR1000, I can get over 10K miles on a set (the front wears faster than the rear due to cupping).

And I don't know where you live, but I do know that a trip down the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway always help to restore the profile of my tires.
jck22903 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2003, 01:19 PM   #2
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Anybody have any tips for squared off tires?

Try slammin' some corners,,,, really there's not much you can do about it, freeway commuting and any straight line riding is going to wear out the center first, I wouldn't try sanding or grinding tires myself, wear patterns reflect your riding style, if you do alot of commuting your tires will show it. try a set of sport touring tires like D220's or Mac.100's. the compound is a little harder for wear, but still sticks well in corners and rain.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 06:49 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default If you want your bike in your living room..........

I'd stay away from the sandpaper trick. That's a sure recipe for "stupid human tricks." You'd never get it straight even if it would work.

I just returned from a business trip in Florida and noted that virtually every motorcycle, cruiser and sportbike, had severely squared off tires. I'm so thankful I live in motorcycle nirvana with all the mountain and curvy roads.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 07:17 AM   #4
pplassm
Founding Member

I can't believe you guys are seriously suggesting that this guy take cutting instruments to his tires!
Old 02-16-2003, 09:45 AM   #5
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Yeah, buy dual compound tires...

Just assume your tires are now shot, and go out and buy some nice dual compound tires: harder in the center, stickier on the outside.

That way, the center will wear more slowly, but you will still have more traction when leaned over.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:32 PM   #6
SuperBill
Founding Member

I squared off a set of Pilot Sports on my VTR 1000 Super Hawk last summer on a round trip between Connecticut and Laconia (via Montreal). After I got back I attempted to restore the profile by spending lotsa’ time in the tight twisties. Besides being fun, this work took off the sharpest part of the "square" edges, and the handling returned to close to what it was when the tires were new. Close, but not exactly – you could still see and feel the difference in the profile.

When replacement time came gave a lot of consideration to the various "sport touring" tires out there. But the Pilot Sports are SO good on this bike, I went ahead and got another set. Guess IÂ’ll either make a point of using the old Beemer for the long road trips or get used to replacing tires on the Super Hawk every 4K.

I most definitely would not try buffing or sanding or grinding the tires with the bike on the swingarm stand. But I’ve heard auto-cross guys talk about having their tires buffed to reduce the amount of tread, presumably to improve tight course handling. Maybe you could find out from one of them how it’s done and apply the same techniques to restoring the profile on M/C tires. If you do, please post the results – inquiring minds want to know!

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 06:38 AM   #7
Chango
Founding Member

And of course, before you ride on them for the first time, be sure to set up a video camera and say in a loud voice with a nice, fake southern accent, "Hey y'all! Watch this!"

Seriously, just go buy some new tires and save yourself from having to buy new parts for the right-hand side of your bike.

Remeber, it's always easier to do things the hard way. Chango