Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-30-2003, 10:00 PM   #1
crazybike_37
Founding Member

Default Re: Carbon racing brakes & burnouts

So what about stoppies? That's great that you gave him advice on the whole burnout thing, but you didn't address his stoppie problem, which[stoppies] are really much more impressive and satisfying than a pansy standing burnout. C'mon, give the man the advice he needs....

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2003, 03:30 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

This may be a real dumb solution, but how about changing the pads back to stock?
Old 01-31-2003, 04:47 AM   #3
dwr461
Founding Member

I thought the same thing. Unless you're actually racing the bike at the track. Maybe you should buy (not by) a seat in a class in a racing school. That would help you for years. Plus improved braking techinque will benefit you more than carbon fiber brakes.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:18 AM   #4
BostonDuck
Registered Member

Just a guess here: I've read that carbon brakes take a lot longer to get heated-up than what you're probably used to so....try warming-up the front brakes with a few hard stops right before you go for the Stoppie (as you probably already know, this will also warm up the front tire so it will be less likely to skid when your tail is in the air)
BostonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 06:21 AM   #5
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Carbon racing brakes and Heat

BostonDuck touched on this point a little. Carbon brakes actually work better as they heat up. Unless you use them how the manufacturer intended (racing, in this case) you're probably better off with sintered or standard brake pads. I've tried sintered ones myself, and they've worked very well for me. Just my $.02
Old 01-31-2003, 06:26 AM   #6
rsheidler
Founding Member

My comments exactly. The idea that racing pads are somehow better for the street is completely bull$hit! Much the same way that race tires are crap until up to operating temperature, they are potentially dangerous for street applications. Even on very hard street riding in the twisties, the cornering forces and braking are usually not sufficient to keep race tires and race pads in their operating range, and even if they do get there for a short section, the next straight stretch will let them cool down, and the next turn you will be surprised to find that you do not have nearly the grip or braking power of the last turn! I speak from personal experience!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 07:51 AM   #7
jmeyn
Founding Member

If you could do stoppies with the stock brakes, and you had no fade problems, what possible good would racing pads do?

Why fix what ain't broke?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:10 PM   #8
john
Founding Member

If you bought these brakes for the street you are an idiot. how about some purple neon lights to go with them....they are just as functional
Old 02-02-2003, 03:18 PM   #9
wOzerd
Founding Member

Here's an even better idea! Take those ultra expensive carbon fiber--racing only-- brake pads off, mount them in a picture frame in your bedroom (get mom's ok first) and put on a set of regular pads from just about anybody (Galfer, EBC etc). If you don't belive me, grab a handful of front brake after exiting the e-way and see how much stopping power you get! Just trying to save you from introducing your self to the driver of the car stopped at the end of the exit ramp via his/her rear window dood!
wOzerd is offline   Reply With Quote