Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-29-2000, 08:27 AM   #1
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Not all 600''''s are equal

If you dig a bit through your back issues of Motorcyclist, you'll see they did a semi-scientific study of how the whole equation of rider skill + bike prowess.

Here's the nickle summary: increasing rider skill makes the bike go way faster around the track than changes to horse power, torque, or anthing else. However, the difference between lap times from bike to bike varied more for unskilled riders than skilled. Got that? So if your goal is to go fast, it is critical that you choose the right bike if you're unskilled. If you've got the skills, you can ride around the bikes faults.

That said, unless you're at the track, speed isn't that important so look for something that is comfy, affordable (insurance too), and can do all the jobs you want to do (backroads, commuting, sport touring, etc).
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2000, 08:29 AM   #2
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: 600cc Confusion

I personally feel that a 600cc sportbike is WAY too much bike to start on... I'd suggest a Suzuki GS500, a Kawasaki EX500, or maybe a Suzuki SV-650S, if you must have one that's new-ish... Thought I think that an even better choice is to find yourself a 10 year old bike in the paper, flog it until you're tired of it, sell it for EXACTLY as much as you paid for it, and use the money as a down-payment on a bike you really want. By then you'll have a better idea of what you want, anyhow. Also, the previous poster is entirely correct, you WILL drop it at least once, and you'll kick yourself much harder over a new bike than you will over a used one.
Old 11-29-2000, 09:20 AM   #3
caderider
Registered Member

How about the Suzuki Savage 650 Single?
Old 11-29-2000, 09:36 AM   #4
Sparky
Founding Member

From the responses I've read so far, you are getting good advice. Although in terms of really being ready for street riding, get an old dirt bike and go nuts in the weeds for several hundred riding hours. The street is loaded with idiots in cages that generally have no right to carry a license. The least you need is to have to concentrate on the motions and reactions required to control the bike, re: braking, shifting and steering. They're also alot lighter and dirt is softer that asphalt/concrete.

ONce you feel comfortable on a dirt bike, you should be ready for any other bike. Although I do agree with alot of the other readers that most late model 600cc sport bikes have far more capability than can be used by most non licensed road racers.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2000, 10:44 AM   #5
VFRider
Registered Member

Can't agree with you on your the rear tire theory. Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, etc spend a lot of time setting up the tire/suspension combination for your. Changing one or the other will change the handling characteristics of the bike. Maybe for the better but more likely not. Understand ride height and suspension sag settings and learn how to tune the suspension for your size, weight and riding style. Lastly, if you are depending on your rear tire to save your bacon you are doing something wrong.

Good tires...YES, fat tires...not always.
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2000, 12:44 PM   #6
SugarMrPoon
Founding Member

Dual-Sports offer you the opportunity to hone your defensive driving on the road, and then practice really challenging stuff in the dirt within a more tame performance envelope.

They're cheap, tough, forgiving, and easy to fix.

Their only real drawback is range.

SugarMrPoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2000, 12:48 PM   #7
wingdave
Founding Member

I thought it was well said.

You've got issues squid.
wingdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2000, 02:11 PM   #8
Alan
Founding Member

you mean BRAKE fluid???
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2000, 02:23 PM   #9
roadload
Founding Member

Also remember to look at something that raises you temp. just a wee bit. The current crop of 600's should do that with room to spare.

Also to reiterate what has been said here, know you limitations and embrace the fact that you will fall at some point......and have fun!
roadload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2000, 02:34 PM   #10
Bo
Founding Member

Listen to the guy that recomended the lessons. I tried to teach my friend to ride and he couldn't pass the test. After 3 weekends with a pro instructor he passed with ease and is a very good street rider now. Lessons are a must!!!!
Bo is offline   Reply With Quote