Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-18-2003, 06:58 PM   #51
02TriBonnie
Founding Member

Default Re: insurance

I dont really think you were being flamed there, but that was good advise. I had a EX500 and a not so great driving record, I only paid $250 a year on it through Progressive.
02TriBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2003, 07:08 AM   #52
Saginaw748
Founding Member

Default Re: 600cc Confusion

I started on a Ninja 250 (don't all laugh, we have to start somewhere). It gave me a good handle on how the bikes react, shifting, clutch, and just being on the road. After discovering I liked riding, I sold it for EXACTLY what I paid for it. Then I bought an F4, great bike, until a 16 yr old girl turned in front of me. Now I have a Ducati 748..

Bottom line?

Work your way up, know that you like the sport before you spend the loot. Your not going to go out and buy a set of expensive golf clubs if you've never played.

Saginaw748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:38 PM   #53
cobra111
Founding Member

good tips for beginners, needed that
cobra111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 04:32 PM   #54
scotsman_nicodemus
Founding Member

My only thought is that twenty years ago anyone that rode a 600 or 650 was not a "man". That has all changed. Because either

the weight to hp ratio has changed or I have gotten wimpy as I've aged. Ride that 600 with the pride you would have exhibited

scotsman_nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 03:57 AM   #55
dnlwthrn
Founding Member

I'll have to agree with you on this one... I just bought my first bike this spring, and after looking at lots of 600 sport bikes, I found a nice 91 EX500. The price was unbeatable, and the bike was in perfect condition. I am already contemplating a bigger bike, but don't plan on selling the EX. Its just a blast to ride, and I'm not worried about having to shell out lots of cash to repair it if (I mean when) I lay it down.

dnlwthrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:37 AM   #56
civicracerx
Founding Member

I'm 22 and I just bought my 4th bike, a new ZX6R. I started with an 82 Nighthawk 6 years ago and I hated it. It was tired, old, and looked it as well. That said, I learned a lot while my friends were busy crashing their CBRs. My second bike was an EX500, and I just got rid of my SV650 of 2 years. There's a fairly obvious progression that you can see, and I can't recommend something similar to you enough.

Go buy a tired old dog of a bike, ride the hell out of it for 6 months, and you will learn so much more. Who cares if you tip it over, or even if you dump it in a turn? It's probably gonna run, and it won't cost you more than a few hundred bucks to fix it. Everyone drops a bike sooner or later. Maybe only in the driveway, but you will drop it. Took me 5 years before I did, but it happened.

When/If you decide that motorcycling is something you're genuinely interested in, take the MSF course and upgrade. Your old rat bike will still be worth almost what you paid assuming it's running and in alright shape, because they basically quit depreciating after about 12 - 15 years. It won't kill you to spend 6 months on something you don't like, but there's good chance that a newer 600 will.
civicracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:55 AM   #57
ccd3
Founding Member

I agree-Look at the performance numbers of modern-600's. In many cases, they surpass the specs of factory racers 25 years ago. I'm not sure any of the 600's could be considered "starter" bikes. Oh sure, we tell ourselves "I'll just not get into the meat of the motor". Right. You're going to get the bike, you're going to ride it "responsibly" for maybe 200 miles, then you're going to wick it up, and more than likely you will not die. Problem is- the more times to do it, the more you convince yourself you have the experience to handle all that power- until one day you get into a corner too hot.. freak out ... jam the brakes... stand it up and go right into whatever obstacle your wide-eyes are staring at. I'm not saying the same thing can't happen on a beginner-bike, but chances are you'll not be going hyper-velocity and have even odds you'll pull through with perhaps only a pee-pee wet spot (and a great lesson-learned). I've riden bikes for over 30 years. The more I ride, the more I realize how bad (and lucky) I was when I started. Thank G that the definition of bad-ass bike in my day was a CB750 (bought it) I love the 600 repli-raceres. If I had a track in my back yard, I'd own one. Just seems a little excessive for what 100% of newbie riders are using them for. If you do choose to get Gxxr/R6/etc, go all the way and buy a matching Cigarette boat and a Hummer. Chicks dig those too.
ccd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:10 AM   #58
ccd3
Founding Member

Default Re: turn signal fluid

Dude- get with the program! I bought a permaplex dispigulator purge canister- I don;t even worry about my turn signal fluid anymore! My next hop up will be the carbon-flux-moon rock disc-brake pads. What a dinosaur you are!
ccd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:20 PM   #59
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Yeah, I got a VFR after riding a series of naked bikes for years. I learned the hard way, that you need to reprogram your internal computer to take note of the fact that you're going a lot faster than your ears and fanny tell you. Every step up involves a readjustment in your thinking, or you will find yourself badly overcooking a corner. My VFR is way better than I, and 99% of the riders out there, will ever be. There are certainly faster bikes out there, but I don't think it would make any difference. I have a friend who has and RC51, and I know for a fact that he is at least as fast as I am, probably faster. It don't make a damn bit of difference on public roads, cause you can only go so fast, and contiunue to exist as a viable carbon based life form
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:07 AM   #60
Richard_Ellis
Registered Member

I must admit, I think a 600cc sport bike (say 97 and newer) is really not a good idea to learn on.

They take a lot of skill. Sure you can ride slow and they are very stable, but the fact is they arent very forgiving. A small mistake with your right hand can get you in a lot of trouble even at low speed. And lets face it, new riders ARE ham-fisted. Hell, a lot of old riders can be too!

Seriously, although it would be cool to do otherwise, Id suggest you buy a cheap, non-cutting-edge bike, ride it for a while, make your mistakes on it where a slightly over-enthusiastic right hand leads to a slight jar in braking or a bump of acceleration...not you sliding along the road.

Same thing when your foot slips for the first time when you put it down whilst stopped filling up or at an intersection. You learn the hard way when you ride. Delaying that shiny bike for a few months may just be a good idea...and you will tell yourself that if you are unlucky enough to drop your bike. And from memory the statistics are that you are more likely than not to drop your bike in the first year.

Then when you feel like you need more, upgrade to a newer, sportier bike, if thats your desire. Even if you only own the slower bike for a few months if thats all it takes you to feel comfortable, its still a VERY wise thing to do. Those first few months will be some of your highest risk...not just of dropping the bike, but of killing yourself as well.

Even if you ride carefully and have strict control on your desire to go fast, the one thing you cant control is that sh1t happens. You will make mistakes. And a more foregiving bike may be the difference between a sudden bump while you ride, and the bike going down hard.

Richard_Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote