Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-09-2001, 08:31 AM   #41
worn_patella
Founding Member

Default Re: 600cc Confusion

AMEN !!! Newer Bikes are a pleasure to ride up to 90% with little or no real feed back. (read smooth)

At 91% this ='s GOing WAY fast enough to enjoy, then panic, fall and pain.

If it's more about knee draggin' ... get and older honda F(2or3) or EX500. You have more feedback up to their limits and you won't get the crap scared out of when the newer bikes START to give you the feed back.

When you can drag the pegs more than half way through the turns, only then would I consider trading up.

In italics, the post DID say NOVICE not NEWBIE.

I think a newbie should start out with a dual purpose or trail variety ... starting out on grass and move up to the harder sufaces.
worn_patella is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2001, 03:14 PM   #42
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default anyone who can't enjoy a GS500E

has no business being on a sportbike. I love fast bikes, and can still (or especially) appreciate a GS500E because it feels like I'm wringing something out of it, instead of it wringing something out of me. It corners well enough, despite the way soft suspension, and the weight and size makes it fun. If he "hated" it, then he probably never learned to corner. And by the way, I'm huge and still don't sweat the power when I ride a GS500, so don't give me that "6ft and 200lbs" crap because I got you beat.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 03:31 PM   #43
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default you suck

a bike is a bike. Maybe you think bikes are just toys. You'll probably sell yours tomorrow for a jetski anway. The steering geometry isn't that different. It takes more "effort" to steer it quick. Fer gawds sake what do you want, power steering? So it's not a sport bike. The only thing wrong with it is the styling, and that's subjective. If you want to find real fault with it, the cornering clearance sucks, but so what. It's just a plain basic motorcycle, good transportation, a bit slow. For a beginner it's a good bike. Bring me one of em and I'll show you how to turn.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 03:11 AM   #44
jibosch
Registered Member

The Buell Blast is NOT a bad beginners bike - great from 20-45 MPH. Especially Fun around Town. It is NOT a Sportsbike though. And if the Rider has Funds - the Ducati M620/750 is a good trade-up bike. But this is assuming that the person is NOT price-concious! I like 'Standard' position bikes though...
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 06:39 PM   #45
zxr250cc
Founding Member

I have been riding for over 30 years and learned to ride on a 50 cc Honda step through with auto clutch. (I presently own a BSA 441 Victor, Norton 850, ZX-6E Kawasaki, ZXR250 Kawasaki, ZX-12R Kawasaki, Triumph 750 TSS, ZZR400 Kawasaki and a Yamaha Riva 180 scooter.) Choose a motorcycle that is a little softer than a full bore 600 sport bike for the start. A ZX-6E Kawasaki is powerful, fast, comfortable and an excellent daily driver. Used ones are 3-4,000 in good shape and it is a great bike for two as well as by yourself.

A good dual sport bike like a Kawasaki KLR-650 would be a good start or a Honda F-3/Katana 600/SV-650 Suzuki. Any bike will do well if you have good tires, good maintenance and practice riding it a lot. MSF classes are a great idea, as is riding in the dirt on a dirt bike. I believe the current level of sport bikes are so highly tuned that a second level bike like an older generation 600 or so is a better choice.

Forget image, look for comfort and a good fit for your body on the bike. If it is like a torture rack you won't enjoy riding it.
zxr250cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:54 PM   #46
99R6
Founding Member

I am 20 yrs old now.... I started out on a 1980 kawi 440... and loved it, but i began to feel like i was getting good... I was 16 at the time... then BOOM i smashed it up... not o0nce, not twice but three times.... then i got a little timid and rode like a normal person=(old people who post here) gradually i got my confidence back... from here i moved up to an 82 cb900FF... SMASHED this one right into a tree and scred the ***** out of my parents... same deal, i rode and rode and acquired some more confidence... after a year i bought a new R6( at this point i had thousands of miles of riding experience) I had owned that bike for a long time, and i had never been down and learned to use the performance and powerwhen safe to do so( if that is possible on an r6 doing a wheelie) the bottom line is that i learned to be careful with a motorcycle and to respect its power because i had remembered all the horrific close calls. I presently just bought a 2002 Busa and the thing is a monster... it'll come up into a roll-on wheelie at 2 grand in first... UNREAL... but my 99 R6 was really fast above 7 grand also. Bottom line is that any 600 sport bike has the ability to kill you, as does any motorcycle, but a modern 600 is unbelievable, so be VERY careful... IF I HAD LISTENED TO THE OLD SLOUCHES i could have saved thousands of dollars in repairs on bikes and had a lot less road rash.... As a novice... RESPECT THE POWER and ride as reposible as your age will aloow and always remember that the bike will hurt you if u dont respect it. GET THE 600 U love if u like these type of bikes.... TRUST ME... RESPECT THE POWER
99R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 02:59 AM   #47
MN_Yamaha_Man_1
Founding Member

I own a 2001 600R. It has comfortable ergos, and very good performance. The only thing that I don't like about it is that the aftermarket companies don't make to many accesories that fit this bike.
MN_Yamaha_Man_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:06 AM   #48
99R6
Founding Member

HAHAHA
99R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 11:05 AM   #49
ashmason
Founding Member

Wow.... 600 too much, not too much.... So many people missing the point. It's all down to you. I know people that are not comfortable driving my Isuzu Trooper but will happily drive a Nissan Sentra for hours.

I guess I mean if you have the personality for a sports bike, then go get a sports bike.

As far as a 600 being a good beginner sports bike, tosh! It's a great bike for any level if you have the right attitude. I opened my throttle on the freeway to the stops the first time the other day, I was in fourth gear and almost scared myself silly and was well into ###mph before hitting the red line. And I had two more gears to go and was grinning like an idiot. (02 Triumph 600TT for anyone who wants to know) but I am pretty sure a really good rider on a 500 could leave me in the dust in the twisties and I have been riding off and on since 96'

Also a word on the CMSP beginner course. I recently took this with my wife just because. And I learned stuff! Well worth the time.

A great 600 bike for a beginning sport rider that you won't get bored of quickly is one that folks always overlook, a Yamaha 600R. It's downright friendly and reliable, my first bike!

Still, like so many people say, if an R6 or something equally radical is what you want AND you give it a decent test ride and still want it, then get it. Just do us all a favor and have the common sense and bravery to admit it's too fast and try something a little less frantic if thats your feeling after the test ride. Unless your comfortable on one of these machines, chances of an accident are that much higher.

Best of Luck!
ashmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 05:13 PM   #50
kawazuki
Founding Member

Well, and let's not forget to upgrade the muffler bearings when changing out the blinker fluid. Everyone always thinks they can let it slide, but a good set of CrMo muffler bearings makes all the difference in those long low corners.
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote