Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 12-03-2000, 12:47 AM   #31
Guru
Founding Member

Default Re: 600cc Confusion

Why buy a Jap 600, they weigh the same as a 750,

cost the same, look the same, are harder to

ride for a beginner.Just buy a 750 and be done

with it. It doesn't matter what you ride.

Riding motorcycles is all about, falling off,

crashing, getting booked and breaking bones.

Believe me you will. I've been riding for 27 years

and all of the above have happened. But I will

let you on a little secret. These situations

sound a lot worse than there really are.

It's part of life. Just go out and enjoy.

A good bike to learn on is a Ducati 600 or 750 SS

very easy and forgiving bike.

Make sure you learn throttle control...the sooner

you learn that the more of the above you will avoid.

Guru is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2000, 04:42 PM   #32
bugsplatter
Founding Member

Good bike to learn on a Duc 600 or 750 ss? If finances are of no concern you may be correct, these bike are capable neutral handling sportbikes, however, they will be much more expensive to learn on than similarly powered japanese bikes. Ducatis require much more service, more frequent valve adjustments, etc. These bikes are 2 to 5 times more expensive than similarly powered used gs500s or EX500s. These bikes are not very sexy but really neither is a used Duc 750ss, if it weren't for its classic paint job this would be one of the ugliest of recent sports bikes, if the japanese ever catch on to the fact most of us would like single color paint jobs ducatis would lose a least some of their appeal.
bugsplatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 09:46 AM   #33
Oilgod
Founding Member

I started riding motorcyles this summer. With no previous riding experience, I managed to learn to ride proficiently in three days (actually three straight Sundays of roughly 2 hours each day). I had purchased a 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (a great beginner bike). Had no problems with it. Didn't even drop it. The idea was for me to learn enough about motorcycles for Japan. I was planning on taking the Ninja with me.

Well, after taking the MSF course on the base, after three months of riding, I got board of the bike. I traded it in (didn't get much of a trade in. Bikes, like anything now-a-days, depreciate fast). I now ride a 2001 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R. Having read many articles from different sites, one rule of thumb that I remembered was, sit on the bike for ten minutes in a riding position. If you are still comfortable after ten minutes, you have found a comfortable bike for your dimensions. I am 6'2 and weigh in at 174 lbs. This bike is comfortable for me. Stats don't mean diddly. Even a "small" 600cc bike can outrun any car on the rode. Comfort should be a priority. But I sat on the Honda CBR F4 and it was as comfortable. The R6, as powerful as it is, makes you feel like you are in a race (that should give you an idea of comfort). If you like the R6, try riding a YZF-600. It was made for city riding and touring.

All in all, take the MSF course before you buy a new bike. Otherwise, you might just end up dropping your bike and getting angry at the world because you chose the "fastest" bike in a magazine to look cool and you ruined it. Bikes were made for the pure thrill and enjoyment of riding. As inexperienced as I am, I know this. I hope this info will help you out.
Oilgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 03:11 AM   #34
jerryford
Founding Member

Yeah man,, YZF600R Thundercat........I got one, and I will never sell it. All anyone of us normal guys would ever look for in a bike. Two in one. Hands down. Comfort, speed, brakes, suspension, light, easy, and FUUUUNNNNNNNN!!. GO FOR IT.

JERRYFORD.......... ITALY
jerryford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 03:15 PM   #35
xmike5
Founding Member

Get a Suzuki Bandit 600.
xmike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 09:34 PM   #36
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: Does Mom know you

As I recall, being fluent in a language includes an intimate knowledge of spelling, grammer and sentence structure. Try again worthless rookie loser butt-sucking squid. That sentence might test your English skills, but if you get your dictionary out, you may figure it out sometime this year.
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 09:47 PM   #37
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default You ARE an idiot!

Gaybe,

Stupid is as stupid does. Dubya's President of the USA, what do you do? Oh, and speaking of stupid is as stupid does, I've never wrecked my bike in 15 years, and I've been to the track too. I thought "Gaybe" was pretty funny, but being the "possible homosexual" you proclaim yourself to be, you probably see it all the time in reference to yourself, and the humor was lost on you.
Old 02-08-2001, 10:03 PM   #38
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Out running cars

I know it's wrong, and I'm breaking laws when I do it, but there is supreme satisfaction felt when I spank some turkey in his car that he either payed way too much for, or added all kinds of worthless aftermarket parts to. Some punk in a Jetta with aftermarket wheels, the gratuitous loud exhaust, pins holding down his hood, and a huge, stupid looking spoiler pulled up along side me on the freeway with his friend hanging out the window talking smack today. A couple of downshifts later and I couldn't believe how quickly he became a small vibrating dot in my right rear mirror. Doesn't that feel good? Love that V4 exhaust note...
Old 02-09-2001, 03:40 AM   #39
Trax
Founding Member

Studies has shown that if you take a "superbike" from the late 80's and a Suberbike from year 2000, a higly skilled racer will in average, lap 10 sec. faster on the new bike. The average biker however, will only lap about 2 secs faster.

Why? Because his skills are never up to the task of taking the bike faster throug the curves. Only on the straights will he be able to take advantage of the extra power.

An unskilled will usually find that an old or comfort oriented bike is easier to learn to ride, simply because it will give more feedback on what's going on at a lower speed. A more racy bike will only give you this feedback when ridden hard at high speeds.

Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 09:19 AM   #40
ryan22
Founding Member

I learned on a Kawa ZX6-R. The 600cc class is perfect to learn on I think. They provide enough

power to give you an immediate fear and a healty

respect for the bike while not having enough to

get yourself into too much trouble.

As others have said, a 600cc bike is, generally, more bike then you will ever use as a beginner, but it also allows room for growth. My friend learned on an EX-500 and by the end of the summer he hated his bike and wanted a GSXR-750. After feeling the power, or lack there of, of the 500, he considered the 600 a waste of time and wanted to jump to the 750s which are, in my my opinion, waaaaay more then enough bike for any street purposes. Yes, the cops prolly cant even catch you on one of those if you ride well. He bought it, and crashed it all before he made his first loan payment.

I guess my point is don't buy a bike that is so small that you are going to out-grow it before the summer is even out. A 600 will give you enough power to go way faster then you ever really need to on the highway or to clutch a wheelie through town, if thats what you are into, and they are tame enough to just cruise while you learn and develop a "feel" for motorcycles.
ryan22 is offline   Reply With Quote