Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-30-2000, 04:22 AM   #21
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default Re: 600cc Confusion

In my humble opinion, the ideal first bike should:

1) Be comfortable.

2) Have really good brakes -- the kind that let you feel exactly what the front wheel is doing.

3) Have light, neutral steering.

4) Have a decent amount of low-end torque so you can get moving without having to resort to drag-strip tactics.

5) Carburet well enough to start on cold mornings.

6) Have a decent headlight so you can see well at night

7) Be light enough for you to pick up by yourself

when you drop it.

The more of these your first bike does, the better your first forays into motorcycling will be.

NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2000, 06:10 AM   #22
ClubRacer
Founding Member

Default Don't Forget

Duel sports are a good place to start and they are very cheap second hand.
ClubRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2000, 06:55 AM   #23
torresmr
Founding Member

Thank you very much...
torresmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2000, 09:05 AM   #24
roadload
Founding Member

Default Re: tire size

Yeah i would agree with you I switched to a 180 on my rear (97 gsxr-750)and it works better in the corners, a bit more feel. Though I sure the tire profile of the Dunlop Gp Stars have something to do with that.
roadload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2000, 09:09 AM   #25
roadload
Founding Member

A buell blast.....jesus why don't you just shoot the guy and save him the misery!
roadload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2000, 02:29 AM   #26
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Re: You ARE an idiot!

Wow! You sure don't read very carefully, do you? That's OK, there's a lot to read here, but you should at least read the posts you respond to!

"Maybe if you considered riding something a little more modern and technologically sophisticated than a vintage bike, you would realize that the better brakes, handling, and yes

even power can be an asset rather than a liability."

Well, that's true enough, but I don't know why you pointed that at me! Where do I say to either get a vintage bike or that I have a vintage bike? Is it the "old BMW" comment? Any BMW built after 1982 or so has perfectly adequate power, braking and handling, and can hardly be called "vintage". My bikes are a'87 EX250 and an SV650, neither of which I would consider a vintage bike, although I used to own a '77 R100. But that was a long time ago. Of my 5 crashes this year, two were due to bad tires, two were on the track, and one was because of a driver turning left right in front of me. I was riding an MZ Skorpion at the time, and that bike's light weight and great brakes let me scrub off almost all of my speed so I was unhurt. A heavier, faster bike would have put me into much, much worse shape.

There is nothing wrong with the brakes, handling or performance of any of the bikes I listed, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

"When I consider your view as a motorcycle enthusiast, it makes it easier to understand why

liberal non-enthusiasts would prefer to save us from any possibility of motorcycling at all. Or

anything possibly remotely dangerous."

Huh? Who are you talking about? Certainly not me! I love motorcycling so much that nothing will make me quit. I just think that ill-informed newbies, armed with poor advice like that given on this board, are destroying my sport and hobby. Everytime a squid kills or injures him or herself on my local Sunday ride, the CHP cracks down, ruining my Sunday. Manufacturers build and market bikes to rich pinheads with no taste or skill, instead of building the light, cheap and fun bikes they used to make. An R6 as a first bike? Great idea.

Please name a "liberal non-enthusiast" who has taken political action to eliminate motorcycling. I can name one guy,- Republican senator Danforth, who wanted to eliminate sportbikes.

Unfortunately, your post is not sociologically interesting, since I already know how conservatives use lies, misinformation and hyperbole to "prove" their points.

And one last thing- "Gaybe" Very clever! You're just as clever with that one as a sixth-grader! But then again, if you run Dubya's responses in the debates through MS Word, he gets a Fleisch-Kinkaid score at a 5th or 6th grade level, so that's just what I expect from you guys.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2000, 02:44 AM   #27
Gabe
Registered Member

Default You and your specters!

"Horrible" specter? What's horrible is an innocent person entering a hobby with a belief that it's some kind of fun, wacky, harmless way to show off his purchasing power and winding up strapped to a backboard in an ambulance, permanantly maimed, or killed.

What's so horrible about mandatory training? And something much more rigorous than the current MSF course, which doesn't, admittedly, prepare you for much more than basic riding. So it costs $300- so what? Half the cost of the "mandatory" exhaust system so many squids buy before they even leave the dealer.

Who decides if you're qualified to ride your GSXR? Yourself, ultimately. But what's wrong with waiting a while? Why is starting at the top so great?

Old 12-01-2000, 06:18 AM   #28
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Right on! n/t

Old 12-01-2000, 07:32 AM   #29
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Thanks, pal

One post like this outweighs 20 childish flames.

Old 12-02-2000, 03:23 AM   #30
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Re: Thanks, pal

I agree with you almost completely. And I don't know if REQUIRED training would be the ticket, although I think CAR drivers should have much, much tougher driving tests. Why shouldn't car drivers be required that they can swerve, brake hard in an emergency and control a skid? Think how many lives that would save every year.

Here in California they made the drivng test easier because, (are you ready for this one?) too many people were failing. That's bad, and costs lives. The motorcycle test is a pathetic joke as well.

I am reluctant to advocate over regulation and feel people should make their own choices. But if you can save lives without sacrificing any tangible or signifigant right, what's wrong with that?