Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-24-2003, 05:31 PM   #71
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Reader Needs Advice

The Ural, and those horrid "Royal Enfield" phony classics.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2003, 02:30 AM   #72
02TriBonnie
Founding Member

Default Re: Does your Bandit burn oil?

I have a friend whose Bandit did burn oil, quite a bit. Around 1 qt ever 500 miles if I remember correctly. After a lot of fighting with his dealer, he eventually got them to replace his cylinders. When they took the old cylinders out, 3 out of the 4 were way out of round, oval shaped. If you have one that is burning oil, fight with your dealer or Suzuki and get it taken care of, this condition would considerably decrease the life of the engine.
02TriBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 03:11 AM   #73
pplassm
Founding Member

Default You know what to buy!

SV650!
Old 01-25-2003, 05:54 AM   #74
davyt
Founding Member

Mostly commuting, lots of city riding, a few short trips, hmmm. We don't know your physique or budget but you're experienced enough to handle a wide range of bikes.

I'm not going to recommend a cruiser type of bike but that's only due to my lack of experience with them. In other words, don't let my ignorance narrow your choices. I also wouldn't generally recommend a sportsbike (even though I commute on a Yamaha YZF600R) for that type of role.

I'm going to take a slightly different tack here: I would seriously consider a middleweight bike. They're generally lighter and more nimble (virtues in the city) and get better gas mileage which is important when you ride on a daily basis. I would consider, in no particular order, a Suzuki SV650, a Ducati Monster 620, a BMW F 650 (or a holdover Aprilia Pegaso perhaps), a Kawasaki KLR650, a Honda Nighthawk 750 or a Kawasaki ZR7S (although the last two are not particularly lightweight). I think any of these would suit your purpose and none would become boring after a couple of months of ownership.

Whatever you end up getting, have fun! Ride lots and then tell everyone what a great choice you made!
davyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 06:57 AM   #75
Weezel
Registered Member

As you can tell, everybody has bikes they like, since there are a tremendous number of great bikes. My own feelings are that you do two things: 1) go to every dealership and sit on every conceivable bike under consideration. You will know immediately which ones are ergonomically unacceptable to YOU in about 10 seconds. This will take about one or two afternoons. 2) Demo the ones that pass test #1 that appeal to YOU most (whatever that is, comfort, practicality, speed, power, style). You will also very quickly narrow down the ones that best suit you and your needs, Then buy it and ride.

I firmly believe that while recommendations are well intended and should be used to assist you in the process, I can find a rag review that praises every bike ever made. It's a very personal decision. The two bikes I own haven't even been mentioned here, I like 'em alot for now, and that's all that really matters. Good luck - I'm sure you'll find a good one.
Weezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 07:55 AM   #76
wade_rivenbark
Founding Member

Default Re: Get a Valkyrie

I agree. The valkyrie is one nice ride. After years of sport bikes i decided to try a cruiser. My wife likes to ride and was never comfortable on any of our sport bikes. So after a couple of months of research I bought an 03 valkyrie. I can tell you one thing, there is not a v twin out there as smooth or powerful out of the box as the valk is. Great handling 2 up or solo and very comfortable. If you like cruisers this is the one.
wade_rivenbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 08:32 AM   #77
HoundDawg
Founding Member

Forget the big four from Japan. If you want to have a great bike and not be a MOron and ride a Jap bike like all the other uneducated masses look to Europe. Both BMW and Triumph (Triumph being a little cheaper) have great bikes to consider. There is even a BMW/Triumph/others dealer in Milwaukee. Plus you don't have to go to a bike week to test ride them, just go to the dealer. Sounds like a sport-touring bike is what you'd like. Take a look at the Triumph Sprint ST or the BMW R1200RS or new R1200GT.

Doug

'97 HD Low Rider

'00 Triumph Sprint ST (60K miles)

'02 BMW R1150GS

'02 Triumph Speed Triple

'03 Triumph Bonneville T100
HoundDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 08:53 AM   #78
anosquid
Founding Member

I also own and ride an older Honda CB750K as well as a '98 Virago XV535 cruiser, so I'm fairly aware of where you're coming from. I just purchased a low mileage 2001 Bandit 1200S and couldn't be happier.

There are certainly faster bikes out there, but at 145 MPH who cares. The bike is heavy enough to be very stable without being a pig. It's ease of turn-in is so much better that a U-turn in one lane is almost fun. It's handling borders on telepathic, and I'm looking forward to my first extended period on the bike during this upcoming Daytona "Bike Week".

Bob Minor
anosquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:48 AM   #79
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default test ride

"...or the BMW R1200RS or new R1200GT."

Not to say you're mistaken, but aren't those "K" bikes, not "R" bikes? You know, inline 4 with the crank inline with the drive shaft?

By all means he should test ride as many bikes as he can, but I hope he wouldn't be lulled into thinking that these are the only bikes he should consider. After a Vulcan 750 the Sprint and the K bikes will feel like rockets on rails-but there are numerous other bikes out there with similar or greater performance and different ergos, as well.

Test rides, bike shows/rallies; heck, rent the bike you want (if you can), and see how it works in real life.
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:42 AM   #80
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

That "someone on a board" is wrong- it's every 16000 miles.