Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-24-2003, 01:21 PM   #61
cyclesteve
Registered Member

Default Re: MO Reader Needs Advice

I am not biased on this bike, in fact I only rode one once. I think if you want luggage, comfort and are trying to keep the price down a used Kawi Concours might do the trick.
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2003, 01:23 PM   #62
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Re: Not the Magna...

MY wife has been rding a VF750CD for the last two years, so I've had the chance to wring it out (when she's not looking ;-p). I found the pegs to be somewhat confusing, neither directly under me or way out in front of me. Also, the gas tank isn't very large; getting on the throttle returns only about 125 miles (when Tracy is on it she regularly gets 150 to the tank, and never fills up before 125 miles). On the plus side, it's got a snappy 'lil motor in it, and you can hustle it down a set of twisties at a MUCH higher speed than you might think.

Bryan...just my two cents...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 01:30 PM   #63
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Get what you want. I love my REX!
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 01:33 PM   #64
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default You better like the way it comes from Bavaria

BMW makes some supremely reliable bikes, but it's damn near impossible to add noticable horsepower w/out taking out a second on your house...ditto when the time comes to replace the front and rear shocks. If you think you might want to "customize your powerband", I can't think of a cheaper way to add bhp than with the Bandito Grande.

Bryan...cubes =grunt...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 01:54 PM   #65
dardas
Founding Member

You might want to buy a pair of pants and start wearing them in your house.
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:01 PM   #66
TuneREX
Founding Member

That's okay, I just realized I was thinking of the Thunderbolt. I agree the new Lightning is an interesting possibility.
TuneREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:36 PM   #67
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

PS Your wife get a sister?
Old 01-24-2003, 02:37 PM   #68
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

got
Old 01-24-2003, 03:12 PM   #69
neko
Founding Member

Default Get a Valkyrie

OK, I know this isn't an especially popular bike, and I'd agree that about everything recommended here would be great. However, if you liked your Vulcan for all those miles, you'll love a Honda Valkyrie. It's the best-handling cruiser out there, and it'll spank any other cruiser except a V-Rod or a V-Max. The 6-cylinder motor is so cool, and it'll run forever with no problem--ask thousands of Gold Wing onwers. You can pick up a clean low-mileage used one for $7k-$10k, and there is a lot of aftermarket stuff available for it. I love intimidating Harley riders with mine...
neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 04:35 PM   #70
LCC
Founding Member

Why not look at a Suzuki LC 1500? It sounds like you will be riding with cruisers primarily, and while ZRX's, FZ1's, Bandits, BMW's, etc. are all nice, you will quickly find yourself over-biked when riding with other cruisers. I'm not saying different type bikes can't mingle, but my experience is that if my buddies are going cruising, I am happier on my Venture, and if we are going to hit the curves, I prefer my ZX-9. The best advice is to ride some other stuff and rely on about 25% of what the magazines say...none of those guys has to ride your stuff...only you do. As for the LC 1500...great looks, heel/toe shifter, floorboards, 1500cc, trick mags, and an accessory list 2 miles long! And only $9999 retail. You don't still pay retail, do you? Me neither, and these are left over all over the place. A local dealer has one with $1,500 in accessories hanging on it and wants $10,300 OUT THE DOOR, after our NC taxes! Who knows what you could get it for? Yes, single disc front brake...but what do those Japanese engineers know anyway? Dual-piston disc by the way, single-piston calipers on the Vulcan 750. No, I don't own one, but have ridden everything mentioned above and most of the stuff on the market today and you will not be disappointed. You need to attend the Honda Hoot and ride everything. Thanks for letting me in on the discussion...it is 20 degrees outside and I am sooo ready to ride!
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote