Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-24-2003, 10:01 AM   #51
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: One more thing....

Yes, I agree, even a short demo ride may not be enough to determine that a bike is not for you. I thought I really liked the intruder 800 after a demo ride, but after I rode it for a few hundred miles I changed my mind. Before I test rode one, I thought i would really like the Suzuki Marauder, but the demo ride soured me on it.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2003, 10:03 AM   #52
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: Not the Magna...

Ergonomic fit/comfort can vary from individual to individual. Mine happens to fit me very well. But you make a good point.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:07 AM   #53
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Reader Needs Advice

My wife grew unhappy with her Shadow 600, took a ride on my Vulcan 750, and told me, "Find yourself a new bike. I'm taking this one."

I wish my wife would say that to me. I'd say, "Fine honey, I'm going shopping."
Old 01-24-2003, 10:42 AM   #54
jaycar
Founding Member

I'll give another vote for a Beemer, especially if you're a year-round commuter.

Doing the year-round thing in Seattle, I've ridden a Gold Wing, a Harley Dyna, and now a BMW K75 (soon to be traded on a new GS (if I can get it past the SO)).

The availability of ABS on anything, accessories, and competent dealer network get my vote.

Old 01-24-2003, 10:48 AM   #55
daparks
Founding Member

I can't believe no-one's suggested THE reigning do-it-all sport/tour/whatever bike thats been tops on most lists for a decade or better.

I switched from a V-STAR 1100C to a 2002 VFR800 last year and I haven't regretted it for a second.

The VFR won't get you in trouble like a liter class mega-bike, is all-day comfortable, and is pretty much the best sounding bike I've ever heard run. (Particularly through an aftermarket exhaust)

While I love my 02, good deals can be had on the 98-01 5th generation bikes, gear driven cams and all!
daparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:59 AM   #56
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

So what you said in a nutshell is that a question from this guy isn't news, but a question from you is? Makes sense to me. A news item was posted on the 19th and you must have missed it, because it was about a GPS recovery/tracking system installed on motorcycles. That would be the EXACT THING you were looking for. Maybe go back to the 19th in the news section, which was only 5 days ago and check out that thread.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:28 AM   #57
RonXX
Founding Member

Thanks for the help. What I mean is that if this is news, then so is that.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 12:26 PM   #58
sarnali
Founding Member

The choices you mentioned are pretty much what I'd recommend , I have an '01 1200s Bandit that I ride pretty much as you described, specifically 80 mile commute and pass-thrashes, Mine so far @ 23kmi's hasn't had any problems, The Z-Rex is pretty cool too, for the money you can't go wrong with either one. After getting off a Vulcan and riding the 1200 Bandit or ZRX, you'll be happy your wife swiped the Vulcan, Nekkid sport standards are what bikes are supposed to look like, good performance, good handling and comfy ergo's make a bike you can do it all on, You might try a 1200 S Sportster, or Dyna Superglide, too, you'll pay more, and loose some performance, but if thats not the issue for you they are both great bikes, that in the long run are going to hold up well and not lose value as a Japanese bike will. Just get what works best for you, and ride the crap out of it.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 01:01 PM   #59
camfarm
Founding Member

My wife grew unhappy... and told me, "Find yourself a new wife."

Man I'll trade you problems. But to add a devalued 2 cents: spend a long time visting bike shops and looking, sitting, asking questions, reading literature, thinking, dreaming, and wondering about a new bike. Then, when you buy one, ride the hell out of whatever it is you choose. You will enjoy it.

I think the Ural is the only bike manufactured today across the global economy that is probably not worth your consideration.
camfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 01:10 PM   #60
john
Founding Member

maybe your bandit had some issues, the 02 bandit and ZRX have identical brakes.

Perhaps suspension or even a fluid change woud have created that difference? or pad wear?