Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-24-2003, 08:33 AM   #31
adaleb
Registered Member

Default Re: MO Reader Needs Advice

If you live in Milwaukee, you need to travel down I-43 to East Troy and take a tour of the Buell factory. The new Buell Lightning will easily fit your bill, and it will handle beyond anything else you could ride. Threading through commuter traffic will be a breeze, plus they have excellent accessories like saddlebags, tank bags, etc.

No excuses, just a superior American Motorcycle made in WI.
adaleb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2003, 08:33 AM   #32
wfowade
Founding Member

You gotta find one first. Then it blows a 11-12,000 hole in your wallet. Ouch! The standards in question are about 60% of the cost with 90% of the abilities.
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:36 AM   #33
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I would say the V Star 1100 is a good choice. It's simple mechanically and it looks nice. I think Yamaha designs the best metric cruisers.

I've ridden my neighbors Road Glide and the windshield is just wrong for me. I'm 5-10 and get a lot of buffeting. If I duck down a little it's much better. I think part of the problem is the windshield is so far away on that bike.

I think the Electra Glide works better for me.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:41 AM   #34
richardnixon
Registered Member

Default BMW

You might want to take a look at BMWs. i have had 2 and been very happy with both. The entire BMW line is sportier than what you have been riding. I find them to be a joy to ride. Both of mine were extremely reliable and comfortable. The bikes tend to be a little expensive, but they seem to hold their value quite well. Also if you plan to finance the purchase BMW has extremely low interest rates (0.9%-4.9%).

Here are a few bikes to consider:

- R1150R

- R1150RS

- R1150GS

- R1200C (cruiser)

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/index.jsp
richardnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:47 AM   #35
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Try the modern standards or used BMW

EG, an SV650/1000 (or SV-S), FZ1 (aka Fazer 1000), etc.

They have a very neutral seating position (although varies by bike, the SV-Ss are considerably more agressive), reasonably low cost (The SVs are almost a song), very neutral handling (you look, they turn), great brakes, and lots of ground clearance.

The other thing if you ride in winter, why not look for a USED BMW (R-RT/R-RS/R-GS/R-R) with ABS brakes. The full fairing on the tourers is very nice in the cold, or the GS and R can have you out in the breeze, and the ABS might save your arse if you hit a patch of ice.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:48 AM   #36
TuneREX
Founding Member

The Lightning? Maybe they've improved it, but the one I tested was virtually impossible to ride slowly thru stop-and-go traffic. I was exhausted after two blocks. And I'm quite sure I could beat The Highwayman in an arm wrestle. It was a pig of a bike. If you want a Buell, find a nice, used Cyclone.
TuneREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:49 AM   #37
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

in my 30+ yrs of riding opinion, I pick the suzuki SV-1000 V-twin.

To pick the correct bike we'd need your stats. you have to update your parameters: Height? Weight? Wallet?

allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 09:17 AM   #38
crazybike_37
Founding Member

Default Re: Does your Bandit burn oil?

Why in gods name would you want to put sidecar on a motorcycle? Especially a bandit! Or did you mean like, if it happened involuntarily, like say, punishment from God for being bad or something?
Old 01-24-2003, 09:25 AM   #39
Randall_1
Founding Member

Dear Longrider, I somehow hit the tab key and the first part of my note to you was sent before it was ready...so to continue:

If you find that the vulcan 750 fits your needs in your unique and tough riding situation, think long and hard before you switch to a new kind. And if you do consider something different, first rent it from a shop or friend and ride it for several commutes and one long trip before you buy. The bucks you spend on renting will save alot of grief. I have learned the hard way that mag reviews and even fellow cyclist opinion seldom correlates with what I assess and like when I ride it.
Randall_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 09:35 AM   #40
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

don't listen to all these grey-bearded fuddy-duddies get a GSXR1000 live the dream
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote