Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-24-2003, 06:16 AM   #21
tsloan
Registered Member

Default Re: MO Reader Needs Advice

I bought a 2001 1200S Bandit for $7k out the door. Added a Holeshot exhaust can and it produces about 118hp and 80 ft/lbs on the dyno. Makes 70 ft/lbs at 3500 rpm. Used it for the California Superbike School at Putnam Park. Commute almost daily March- Dec on Southern Indiana backroads. I have added a set of Corbin Beetle Bags for backroad touring next summer. I raced RD/RZ 350 Yamahas through the 70's and 80's and have owned alot of bikes but have never ridden anything that rolls into to a corner as sweetly or has the front end feel of the Bandit. For the price as a general purpose all around bike I don't think you can beat the Bandit. It offers instant user friendly power in abundance. It will fly on the backroads even two up but is tractable around town. Only draw back is it's a little porky.
tsloan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2003, 06:29 AM   #22
reggler
Founding Member

All the bikes mentioned are excellent choices and it boils down to what you like best, but here's my 2cents.

if you've done 18k in two years you are ready for a bigger bike. if you like the cruiser style you can't do better in value/performance than a vulcan 1500. regardless of which model you choose, they are all good. my personal favorite, which i happen to own, is the meanstreak. it provides more power and better handling and i rode it across country last summer.

If you like a sport type bike then you should consider the fjr1300. I have ridden one and they are great.

last recommendation, whatever you get, if you're going to do any serious long distance riding, go with shaft drive.
reggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:45 AM   #23
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default Does your Bandit burn oil?

Have you noticed that your Bandit burns oil? I only ask because in the most recent edition of Cycle World, Paul Dean wrote a rather lengthly response to a reader who claims to be experiencing this problem. Dean went on to state that he has received approximately 12 other letters on this same subject and that apparently there are Suzuki dealerships who acknowledge that the bike burns oil because of holes in the pistons that are too large.

I have zero ability to aprticipate in techno-speak, but that's what I got from the letter. Apparently Suzuki does not acknowledge the problem, but some dealers are "fixing" it for their customers.

I'm not trying to rip on your bike, as you are obviously VERY pleased with it, but the Bandit 12 has always interested me and I thought that any MO user who may be interested in getting the bike may want to know as well.

Have you ever experienced this or know of any other Bandit owners who have?
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:59 AM   #24
tsloan
Registered Member

Default Re: Does your Bandit burn oil?

I have heard alot of people have trouble with oil consummtion with 2001+ 1200 Bandits. They report using a qt every 600-1000 miles. I have also heard the problem is with excessively large oil return holes in the lower oil ring groove and that Suzuki has been reluctant to acknowledge and fix the problem. My bike had about 30 dyno runs on the motor at 1500 miles and now has 20k miles on the motor. I use a quart every 3000 miles which is not great but not excessive. Incidently this is about the same mileage I get out of a rear M-1 Sportec when touring with my wife on back. In Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana I wear out the sides. Illinois and Missouri flatspot the center
tsloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:15 AM   #25
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default Re: Does your Bandit burn oil?

Thanks for the clarification, and living in IL, oh how I know about wearing out the center of your tires! I only WISH that I could have the opportunity to wear down the sides on just one set of skins. The fact that it has averaged about 2 degrees F the past week or so doesn't help either.

Have you read about the potential for converting the B12 into a sidecar rig as written about by David Hough in MCN?
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:19 AM   #26
Elric42
Registered Member

Go for the Kawasaki ZRX1200.

Yes, I am biased, I own one and love it. I put almost 10k miles on mine in the first year.

The bike is fast, powerful and suprisingly inexpensive to insure.

The standard configuration allows you to modify the bike to however extreme you want to go. People have tricked their ZRX into a tourer with crusing gears, put on clip-ons, rearsets and a round headlight for a cafe look, or gone with the MX bars and trick body work for a streetfighter look.

It has a great owners group at www.ZRXOA.org and a large aftermarket for all kinds of parts.

Like I said, I am a bit biased, but I do love my ZRX.

Good Luck! Hope to see you at ZRXOA.org soon!
Elric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:20 AM   #27
TheFox
Founding Member

Be advised road star valve checks are horribly frequent...someone on a board mentioned that some time ago.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:23 AM   #28
C05Barrett
Founding Member

For the money there is no way to go wrong with the Yamaha FJR1300. Sporty, practical, and comfortable. Plus is has the bags to put your stuff in.
C05Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:24 AM   #29
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Yes, the Magna ;-)

The tank is a bit small, but most of his riding is commuting, and the Magna is fine for short 200+ trips as well.

I don't understand the complaint about ergos, I rode my Magna from coast to coast and loved it...some highway pegs and an aftermarket seat are all you need for all-day comfort.

I could have used a bigger gas tank on my roadtrip, but I never ran out of gas, either.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:32 AM   #30
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Decisions, decisions...

You know, you really can't go wrong with any of the bikes listed here. We are having a bit of a reniassance in sport standards right now, and there are good choices all across the boards. FZ-1, ZRX1200, Bandit 1200, Bandit 600, the new Z1000, the new SV1000; you can't go wrong. The only one of those I would advise against would be the 919, because it has high pipes stock and you need saddlebags.

As for cruisers, you DO live in Milwaukee. A Sportster of any kind would be good, but for city and longer rides I would at least go with a 1200, and preferably a 1200S. The extra dosh for the brakes is well worth it. Another "inexpensive" Harley would be a base model Dyna Superglide, and although I've never seen one they go for about 11K US.

As for Metric cruisers, personally I'd take a Kawasaki Mean Streak in the new purple color. What a great looking bike, and it rides, has nice suspension, handes, etc, etc. If I was buying a cruiser of any kind, that's what I would get. However, once again, the market is awash in capable bikes: VTX1800, Mean Streak, Road Star Warrior, Vulcans (aside from the Mean Streak I hear the extra cash for the 1500 engine is not worth it), any of the Shadows, hell even a Guzzi.

You could even be the first kid on your block to have a Victory Vegas! With all divisions of Polaris on board and willing to help expand the motorcycle line, I have a lot of faith in them.

You have a lot of options. The only other thing I will say is watch out when you do get that bigger bike, espically if you get sport standard. 1200cc's 4v, W-C I4 is like 5 times as much power as a 750cc 2v, A-C V2. You'll be addicted to the power in no time, assuming you don't kill yourself first!

Good luck on your purchace, and be advised everyone here is jealous that your wife is ordering you to buy a new bike. We should all have such troubles.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote