Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-24-2003, 05:45 AM   #11
ZRX_bullock
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Reader Needs Advice

As a highly satisfied owner of a ZRX 1200 I agree with the comment about the stock seat, my advice is to replace the stock seat before the initial ride from the dealership.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2003, 05:53 AM   #12
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

Cosider the 2002 VFR800. Now comes with hard luggage, comfy and it's red.

Corbin? I recently bought a Corbin seat and for the passenger, great. For the rider it sucks. The sweet spot is too far away from the bars. The seat rises at the tank which makes my boys cramped. They will fix it if I ride 5 hours up to Hollister. Now normally, 5 hours sounds good, but on my Corbin, I don't think so.
Pain_Seraphiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:00 AM   #13
bigjames
Premium Member

Corbin? Try Russell (kinda fugly, but supremely confortable) or Sargent (they do exactly what you ask, if you don't like it, well it's your own fault!). Both use your seat pan, so you never have a fitment problem. Sorry Mike (Corbin), you seats ain't what they once were...
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:09 AM   #14
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

For the most part, everyone is pointing you toward big bore "naked" bikes. All of the bikes in this class represent good value and should serve you well.

Another consideration, though stylistically it is the polar opposite of a cruiser, is the Suzuki V-Strom. Nice twin engine, suprising sporty performance (basically ALL print mags have said this), comfort for commuting and/or longer trips (two up if you wish), and hard luggage available all at a fair price.

If you get over the looks and read what has been written about this bike, you should consider it.

You didn't mention price, but what about the BMW R1150R? Another overall very competent bike that Burns had good things to say about on this site.
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:37 AM   #15
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Any year Yamaha V-Star 1100. Not a monster in price or performance but coming from the Vulcan 750 you will be most impressed by the power and handleing pulling both commuter duty as well as the trips.

As was said in a previous post you should get to a demo ride and ride different bikes.

Both the Vulcan 750 and V-Star 1100 didn't fit my frame so I felt cramped but my Wife had over 28K miles on hers when she sold it for a H-D Road Glide. Most of those miles were put on during big mile trips 3K - 6K and the occasional 1K day.

She still gets weepy when she talks about her "Star". She loves her "Red Glider" but she wishes every day we could have kept it as a second bike. In her words, "It was just so much FUN!"
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:38 AM   #16
Roadrider
Founding Member

If you want a sportier ride with good touring capability, try a ZXR1200 or a Honda ST1300 or even an Yama FJ1300. However, if you want lots of torque, good acceleration and be really confortable on a long ride, go for a Kawa 1500 Nomad !!
Roadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:43 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

You don't mention if price is an object.

If it is, a very good all-around jack-of-all-trades at an excellent price is Honda's 750 Nighthawk.

A bit more money will get you a Bandit1200.

A good exotic choice would be a Ducati Monster. Plus it will retain its value better than the Japanese offerings.

A Sportster1200S is good an excellent all-around bike that will also retain its value.

Another excellent choice if you want to stick with the cruiser style is a Honda Magna.

But, the best thing to do is cruise the shops with a idea of how much you can spend, sit on lots of bikes, test ride as many as you can and buy the one that jerks yer crank.

And don't for a second worry about what anyone else thinks.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:49 AM   #18
wfowade
Founding Member

It sounds to me that you have ridden long enough to consider most any kind of bike short of an all out big bore race bike.

I have experience with both the Bandit and the ZRex. The Bandit is more comfortable but with slightly less power and the brakes are a significant step down. Emotionally, I like the Rex best. Compared to the bikes you have ridden, both have quite a bit more powah. The inline four does vibrate differently than the V-twin but both do have their sweet spots.

After coming from a moderate sized twin, the 919 will have comparable power down low but when you rev it, STFB. It is nimble but the big bore bikes (Bandit/ZRex) are a more relaxed ride in that you have plenty of power without winding it up. If you do wind it up, all will go-the Rex in particular. The FZ-1 is super strong in this regard. The SV1000 without the fairing may be a great choice too. The SV1000S has kind of low handlebars, particularly coming from a cruiser.

I really like this type of bike but you will want to add a Givi top bag at least if you are use to having saddle bags.

All in all, I think the dealer that you buy from should be as important a factor as the bike itself-all of these bikes are terrific and quite capable.
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:59 AM   #19
Elseanno
Founding Member

You didn't state your budget. I'd try sitting on and riding all kinds of bikes. Bandit 12 or FZ 1 with luggage would be nice. So would a Road Star 1600. (you need a 2 inti 1 pipe to fit decent bags on R/S) . You might also try sitting on a Concours, or FJR 1300. Both comfortable sport tourers with hard bags. Concours is a really good deal at about $8k. Someone else suggested the V-Strom, reallly cool bike and luggage available. Have fun looking and ride the wheels off whatever you get!

Elseanno
Elseanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:00 AM   #20
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

One other thing about the Corbin seats. On their web site the show that the stock rear seat shell fits onto the Corbin seat. Well..... it will but it's a crappy fit. A gap shows up at the tail section and at the front, on the corners you can drive a truck thru.

I had always heard how great Corbin seats were. Geez.

Did they even use a VFR800 to when designing the seat for the VFR?

My stock seat I use more. I'm starting to realize what a great job Honda did. I use my Corbin only for two-up riding. My wife loves the Corbin's rear seat and the optional backrest. That, they did an excellent job on. Also, the finish and material on the Corbin was great.
Pain_Seraphiin is offline   Reply With Quote