Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Lane Splitting Ticket :-( (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/1497-lane-splitting-ticket.html)

crashkg 12-18-2002 04:01 PM

Re: Yeah, I got a ticket for it, too!

Most people who don't like lane splitters are just jealous and want to vent some road rage at the guy who is passing them. The same mentality causes people to block you from getting into "their lane" by speeding up. I had a guy actually try to run me over with his car for lane splitting. I asked him why, and he said I'm in a car and if we hit you'll get hurt not me. I proceeded to kick in the side of his car and then continued lane splitting away...

crashkg 12-18-2002 04:47 PM

Re: LA Drivers

Most people who don't like lane splitters are just jealous and want to vent some road rage at the guy who is passing them. The same mentality causes people to block you from getting into "their lane" by speeding up. I had a guy actually try to run me over with his car for lane splitting. I asked him why, and he said I'm in a car and if we hit you'll get hurt not me. I proceeded to kick in the side of his car and then continued lane splitting away...

pplassm 12-19-2002 03:51 AM

Re: Anyone ever hit a door?

Thanks, I was just wondering if there was any first and experience. I'm sure it's happened.

TheFox 12-19-2002 06:22 AM

Foxy pwns the traffic courts!

I'm the only person I know who has been found "Not Guilty" of speeding in court.

I was doing 80 in a 55 and I went to court, with the argument that I was being passed on the right by a semi tractor trailer, while the officer was on my left, facing me. They said that they speed detected me, that the thing had been just calibrated yesterday, that the speedo on his car had been calibrated a month ago, etcetera, etcetera.

"I'm sure that the officer's equipent was fine and accurate in it's electronic and mechanical workings, your honor. But I have here 2 signed and notarized statements from my passengers attesting to that fact that I was not speeding. In addition, if you'll look at my record I have not had a speeding ticket in all my years of driving. I think that Officer ***** aimed his speed detection gun a little too high, and caught the semi behind me and my vehicle. I t would be very easy to do, and anyone could hake a misake like that."

When the Judge told me that the affidavits couldn't be entered into evidence, I thought I was screwed. But he asked if I would like an extension to bring them in. I thought about it, and said, "Well to be honest your Honor, I run a small buisness, and can't afford any more time away from it. I certainly couldn't impose upon my friends and their work schedlues either.".

After thinking about it for a few moments, he responded with, "Well...I think I'm going to give the defendant the benefit of the doubt. Mr. ******, just be careful on the roads out there, and make sure you remember to keep your seatbelt on."

I got off. I didn't make the cop look like an idiot either, and I think that's why I won. I didn't call into question anyone's integrity. I didn't have an attitude like the other people that argued their cases; I was neutral in tone.

I cannot stress the importance of appearance either -- note that I was the only person in a courtroom of about 150 who had a suit and tie on.

I was shocked I had won, but damn it felt good. Ask me about the time I talked my way out of a ticket for 95 in 40 after making an illegal left turn with no signal and blowing a red light.

--The Fox

remanking 12-19-2002 01:20 PM

Re: Lane Splitting Ticket :-(

I thing the MPH rule is just made up by some MSF teacher. I ride the 210 everday and constantly lane split at 70+mph. Most days I am behind of in front of a Pasadana cop or CHP motor patrol and have never been pulled over. I always ride in the carpool lane and when you come up on some moron going 55 you need to go around them. It is all up to if the cop had a bad day or not.

chrisek 01-06-2003 09:06 PM

Re: Lane Splitting Ticket :-(

I just moved back to the Bay Area from Sacramento, and I'm amazed at how nice lane splitting is here now! I do the Morgan Hill-San Jose commute, and once I'm past the 2-lane section of 101 everyone just moves over as I come up. Generally I don't split over the speed limit, just all the way up to. I just took the MSF Advanced Rider course, and it didn't mention anything about lane splitting. At my Driving School (re: speeding ticket) it came up at the end of the session and basically told all the cage drivers to cool it. It's just nice as I can remember how anti-lane splitting the cages used to be, and I remember the head of the CHP writing some letter (to the AMA?) specifically stating the 3 Vehicle Codes relating to splitting in CA and how we didn't have to worry. I need to dig that info up again, while I was in Sac (until Nov) we had a rash of Fast 'n Furious deaths with some guy on a yellow sport bike (yes, that was the specific ID on him) running from cops and getting away. Anyway, the cops were pulling us all over whenever we split lanes to check Motorcycle licenses (or at least paid very close attention to us). In any case, I say hit the nolo site and fight it. Like others have said, if the cop didn't write you up as wrekless, then you should be gold.