Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 12-17-2002, 02:18 PM   #51
fernandopan
Founding Member

Default Lane Splitting in Brazil

It used to be ilegal here in Brazil, but the law changed about 5 or 6 years ago and it's permitted nowadays. Almost every rider do it in Brazil, and sometimes at speeds up to 50 or 60 mph. I never heard of someone that received a ticket because of that. You really should see how the riders that work on bikes, delivering stuff here in São Paulo ride, they are nuts.
fernandopan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2002, 03:11 PM   #52
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Lane Splitting Ticket :-(

Lane splitting is illegal in Washington state so I couldn't say one way or the other whether your right or wrong , but it does seem kind of dangerous to me, I do know that riding on the shoulder to get past miles of stopped traffic will get you a $45 dollar tickit, maybe more now, every time I get pulled over I admit I was speeding or whatever and don't argue with the cop, and I generally get off with a warning, If I do get a ticket I go to court and try'n get the fine reduced, It usually works if you don't come off like an *******. It's really up to the cop if you get a tickit or not, being polite and admitting you f***d up goes along way.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 05:19 PM   #53
clively
Founding Member

I appreciate you and the gooseman's comments. Not many people see it from these points of view. It's refreshing to see.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 05:53 PM   #54
Silvabak
Founding Member

In most Australian states, lane splittting is illegal, but seems to be tolerated, until you get creamed, then you'll get the ticket as well.

Oz drivers are normally murderous psychopaths anyway, so lane splitting is risky, but we all do it from time to time.

There dosen't seem much point in not filtering down to the head of the line at a red light, if you're on a bike in traffic.

I'll only do it if i can be sure to get to the head of the queue, or on a freeway, to have cars on one side only.

It's commonplace here for a car drivr to say to an injured rider, "mate, I just didn't see you"

Silvabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 06:23 PM   #55
SezaGeoff
Registered Member

Default Re: Lane Splitting Ticket :-(TRY TO FIGHT!!!)

Round Frankfurt, Weisbaden, and a fair bit of touring to the south. Love some of the roads that have a speed limit set lower for motorcycles than for cars. (Wispertal road was 60 km/h for bikes, 100 km/h for cars. When I asked, they said it was to keep the bikes to 100 km/h!!)
SezaGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 03:16 AM   #56
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Lane Splitting Ticket :-(TRY TO FIGHT!!!)

I was in Worms, Hohenfels, and Kaiserslautern. We had a road near K-town where bikes were prohibited on weekends. Too many heros eating turf!

I really miss the road riding over there. I moved back so I could ride dirt again.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:40 AM   #57
Z3Coupe
Founding Member

Professional witnesses my ass. They're just in cahoots with the system. Ain't no way anyone can win in traffic court.

I had a case where I was "estimated" to be travelling such-and-such speed. Problem was, I was heading nearly straight on to the officer, no trees or buildings or anything for visual reference, etc. Very hard to judge. He says he's trained to do that and brings up all that "professional witness" crap. Then I ask him why he couldn't copy my name correctly from my Driver's License to the ticket correctly! He screwed up my last name, used my middle name as my first name, and also coppied down the wrong hair color. I figured this would show that he can't see anything, thus rendering his "estimation" of my speed void.

I thought I was Johnny Freakin' Cochoran. If this were Law & Order, I'd be off. But the judge wasn't impressed. I got stuck with it.

I fought the law, and the law won.
Z3Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 10:25 AM   #58
yamamullen
Founding Member

Hey, sorry to hear about that ticket. I went through the MSF course in San DIego a few years ago and I remember what we were taught. They said that its ok to do as long as your are not traveling more than 10 mph faster than traffic and traffic is not moving faster than 30 mph. They also said that the CHP can write you a ticket if they think you are being unsafe about it, cutting people off or arratic lane changes etc, regardless of the speed.
yamamullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 12:48 PM   #59
Rekord
Founding Member

Default Re: Anyone ever hit a door?

You are dead wrong ! I work in the medical field (and I ride too) so I can tell you: don't even think about it. It will damage your body that's for sure
Rekord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 04:55 PM   #60
crashkg
Registered Member

Best thing to do is show up in court and appear knowledgeable. Don't plead ignorance of the law because that will never fly with the judge. If you say that you thought you were operating the vehicle safely and within the law according to what you learned in your motorcycle course you should get off. Good Luck.
crashkg is offline   Reply With Quote