Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 12-17-2002, 02:53 AM   #41
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Lane Splitting Ticket :-(TRY TO FIGHT!!!)

That's "Stau" by the way. I used to split lanes in Germany all the time. Usually only if the trafic was completely stopped, though. I saw many locals doing it as well. What part of Germany were you in?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2002, 03:00 AM   #42
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Anyone ever hit a door?

I'm just wondering what 700 or so pounds of bike/rider moving at 15-20 MPH would do to some idiot's Honda door. I suspect it would take it clean off without too much damage to the bike.

Old 12-17-2002, 03:15 AM   #43
ducfast
Founding Member

Default Re: Lane Splitting Ticket :-(

I love hearing more fine examples of the "land of the free...."

UK and Japan have it right. Insurance rules are biased towards bikes and lane splitting is the encouraged way to travel. The other nice thing is in Japan the cops are much less intrusive. Especially in the countryside.

Can't imagine it any other way

Fight the ticket!
ducfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 05:22 AM   #44
seruzawa
The Toad

Air fares are really low now. Say "Hi" to Alec Baldwin if you see him over there.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:15 AM   #45
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Orange County

I let the cops in Orange/Riverside/San Bernardino Counties lead the lane splitting in the morning. It's great to see the traffic move out of the way.

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 11:04 AM   #46
badinfluence
Founding Member

I live in Utah, and here the motorcycle operators manual reads "Lane sharing is GENERALLY prohibited." Not "STRICTLY prohibited" or simply "PROHIBITED", but "generally prohibited". Which according to to Websters "generally" is defined as "not specifically", which to me means there are times and places that lane sharing would be deemed acceptable, such as in traffic moving much less than the posted speed limit or situations where traffic is backed-up a block from the stop light.

So I asked a good aquaintance who is a County Sheriff Deputy about it. He told me that it is all up to the police officer that witnesses it. If he deems that you are riding unsafe then he will ticket you. Or as this officer said, he will ticket it everytime because he doesn't personally like it. So there you have it. It's still a great big gray area.

IMO, I would fight the ticket if it is a reckless driving, but if it is a minor traffic violation explain your side of the story and throw yourself on the mercy of the court. Many times, if you haven't had many tickets in your time they will wipe the points off if you subject yourself to traffic school. Just don't get too righteous or high and mighty about it. Nobody likes to be told their wrong, even if they are. And they hold the next three years of your insurance costs in their hands.
badinfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 11:43 AM   #47
RedRocket800
Founding Member

Default Who are you callin' a**hole?

Get back in your cage, you puss!
RedRocket800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 12:59 PM   #48
buzzy250
Founding Member

Either something is legal or it's illegal . Can't be both-- unless you're a believer in fuzzy logic -- or well -- ah well -- a Californian.
buzzy250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 01:38 PM   #49
NoKneeDown
Founding Member

I'd go easy with that....I read in Bike once about guys who were doing that (in Europe of course) and after being pulled over for making the world's fastest runs and dumbest stunts, the cop just rewound the tape and they got busted for whatever top speed/blown stop sign/wheelie/whatever showed up on their own little video. I don't know about the laws here in the US about that but any act you do on your own tape could be the nail in your own coffin. Beware.
NoKneeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 01:43 PM   #50
NoKneeDown
Founding Member

2 good things about living in Ohio...

1) I don't even have to contemplate this issue

2) It's so damn cold and pouring down rain right now that the only thing I can do is go pour gin and tonic number 2....sigh.
NoKneeDown is offline   Reply With Quote