Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 12-16-2002, 10:57 AM   #21
bharriet
Founding Member

Default Re: Lane Splitting Ticket :-(

1st there is nothing in the MSF MRC:RSS course curriculum about lane splitting. California Motorcycle Training, which is not the MSF, but uses CHP appoved modifications to the MSF MRC:RSS course, does say that lane splitting is neither legal or illegal in CA. However it discourages the pratice because it violates the concept of space cushioning. Althought lane splitting is tolerate in CA there are several laws on the books that officer ollie can use to give you a ticket if he wants.
bharriet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2002, 11:39 AM   #22
torrnado
Founding Member

I have received several 'lane-splitting' tickets and on hundreds of occasions passed law enforcement (both city and state) officers without being pulled over. As numerous posters here have indicated, in California, lane splitting or sharing is not illegal, but not specifically legal either. Authorities typically write 'violators' for unsafe lane change or changing lanes at an unsafe speed, or in more extreme cases, reckless driving.

When fighting my tickets (approximately 4, 3 wins and 1 loss), I merely showed up with the California Motorcycle Handbook and after stating my position and my belief that I was driving safely, I recited the fact that, pursuant to the California Motorcycle Handbook, at no time did "[a] hand...come out a window, a door...open, [or] a car turning suddenly..." The chances are statistically in your favor since a high percentage of officers do not show up for traffic citations (defaults are almost always dismissed).

Some of the other feedback given here has been helpful to remember (also common sense), i.e., being courteous, professional, succinct and respectful of the court and the officer who ticketed you.

For those who don't split lanes in other states/countries: it's not for the weak-at-heart, requires skill and above-average coordination. Obviously not for the average idiot, if you know what I mean.
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 11:56 AM   #23
damediggler
Registered Member

Well I ain't TJ Hooker,.... but I ain't Rosco P. Coltrane either. If you were lane splitting and the officer caught up to you then maybe lane splitting wasn't necessary.... I always thought it was 25mph anyways. 40 seems way too fast. Not that I'm scared to do it at that speed just that it increases your chances of getting hurt in an emegency situation i.e. open door or just someone being an @$$hole. Hell, I could split lanes at 100 if I was sure no one would pull into my path, but with cage drivers that's never a sure thing. Keep the rubber side down!!!
damediggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 11:58 AM   #24
damediggler
Registered Member

Well I ain't TJ Hooker,.... but I ain't Rosco P. Coltrane either. If you were lane splitting and the officer caught up to you then maybe lane splitting wasn't necessary.... I always thought it was 25mph anyways. 40 seems way too fast. Not that I'm scared to do it at that speed just that it increases your chances of getting hurt in an emegency situation i.e. open door or just someone being an @$$hole. Hell, I could split lanes at 100 if I was sure no one would pull into my path, but with cage drivers that's never a sure thing. Keep the rubber side down!!!
damediggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 12:15 PM   #25
torrnado
Founding Member

Default Re: Yeah, I got a ticket for it, too!

"I hear California riders talk about lane splitting/sharing like it's some kind of right. Sounds like it's an excuse to ride like an a**hole..."

I don't know which California riders you are referring to, but when enough of my brethren get rear-ended by idiots in SUVs on mobile phones, call me an a**hole all you like! The fact is, we use far less space, typically use less fuel and are far more vulnerable to injury and death than automobiles/trucks/SUVs, so a few paltry 'benefits' such as lane splitting/sharing or sharing parking should give motorcyclists anywhere the benefit of doubt! Further, I have never heard of an automobile fatality due to a motorcyclist splitting lanes.

There is no justifiable reason that motorcyclists cannot split lanes here or anywhere else; if automobile/truck/SUV drivers don't like it, then they should all jump on a bike a shut the puck up!
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 02:21 PM   #26
gt750
Registered Member

Default Re: Lane Splitting Ticket :-(TRY TO FIGHT!!!)

You may as well set a court date, and attend if they do not just cancel the ticket before hand.

Sometimes, the Officer who wrote the ticket will NOT be available, so you will win!

Also, if that fails, go and explain yourself in a calm and rational manner. You never know?

At the very least you will make the jerk Cop go to Court and waste time! It will then

elimanate any profit made from your ticket. Maybe they'll think twice before ticketing a Motorcyclist in the future!?! GOOD LUCK!
gt750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 02:46 PM   #27
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Please Don't Post Lies

The standard of proof for an infraction in CA is the same as for a misdemeanor or felony- beyond a reasonable doubt. In some other states, like WA, traffic tickets are handled in civil court, so maybe you're a cop in another state?

We may be lefties out here in California, but at least we still have our rights!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 03:35 PM   #28
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

In other words, everything you do, or don't do, will be used against you when this pet***** "needs a laugh" because he has been trained to see even your nose itching.

Remember, Comrades, he has also been trained to ask every question in a manner which borders on entrapment. In Florida, FHP officers actually get a class at the academy about how to frame questions. Case in point:

"Sir, do you know (have any idea) how fast you were going?" If you say "Nope." then they give you the Breathalyzer, using the legal reasoning that if you weren't aware of your own speed, you might be DWI. At the least, you get charged with "Inattentive driving," or maybe "Willfull disregard" (if he doesn't like the smarmy look of your GORE 2000 tee shirt)and maybe he'll throw in "swerving/weaving within lane" for good measure, because he could observe (minutely) that you overcorrected from that last crosswind. Oh, and he needs a laugh. On the other hand, if you say "Yes, I knew how fast I was going." you get the Breathalyzer again (Cuz, hey, it's 50/50 for him, and if he's right, probable cause is pretty well what he wanted it to be.) and then charged with "reckless driving", or if he doesn't like your "JEB!" tee shirt, you get "Reckless Endangerment".

Guys like this really stick in my craw.

Hey, Pet*****!, don't forget it is the will of the Furher that the groudlings and plebians be kept in line!
Old 12-16-2002, 03:41 PM   #29
gceaves
Registered Member

In Korea there are very few enforced motorcycle laws.

Splitting lanes is common. Running red lights is allowed as long as there are no other cars or people. Helmets are still an option, though these days the cops will at least frown at you if you don't wear one. Your passenger, or passengers, don't need one. Headlights and signals are often broken. Signaling is rare. If there's a breathalyzer road check, motorbikes are allowed to weave through without undergoing a check. Registration, insurance and even license plates are expected, but not necessarily required.

Mind you, most bikes are only 125cc. When I lane split, I'm only going about 30~40 kph. Many, many times a taxi has opened a door when I was zipping along. Quick reflexes, slam on the rear (drum) brake, rear tire skids, front tire wiggles, and the passenger getting out of the taxi is thoroughly frightened. Sometimes my engine stalls too.

As a foreigner, I first rode here like a North American. But after a month or so, the locals' motorbike culture has taken over. Now I ride like a local.

I pity you poor bikers who live in rich developed countries with more stringent traffic regulations and road customs. : )

gceaves

Seoul, Korea

125cc Daelim Cruise
gceaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 03:56 PM   #30
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default And another thing...!

Y'all realize of course that the dream gig would be Internal Affairs Motor Officer, right?

spend all day riding around on your Road King/KZ1000/R1150RT, citing other officers for "misfeasance, malfeasance, or nonfeasance" and "willful misapplication and/or abusive application of the law."

Watching the watchers, as it were. You'd not be too popular amoung cops, but hey, as a citizen there's a case to be made that you're not too popular with them now.