Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 12-13-2002, 10:03 AM   #1
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Readers ask which bike to buy...

SV650s can do everything! Oh, except write my term papers for me.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2002, 10:12 AM   #2
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: What bike for a tall guy?

Welcome, Renato

Most of us here on this site are American, thus many will not be that familiar with some of the bikes you mention. The Diversion 600 is, I believe, what was sold here as the Seca II. This bike is no longer inported to the US. The CB500 has not, to my knowledge, been imported here.

Before giving my opinions, I would have to say that this is a very hard question to answer, without knowing more about your level of experience and the type of conditions you will encounter, or how much you are willing to spend. I speculate that you are relatively inexperienced, so my comments reflect that assumption. Please forgive, if I am wrong.

Your height should not be much of a factor, other than perhaps to steer you away from the very smallest models -- it certainly should not be a problem with any of the bikes you mention. Actually, you would be only a bit above average for Americans, but pretty tall for southern Europeans.

Personally, I would probably lean toward the "so called" trail bikes, especially as you are fairly tall. Shorter riders sometimes have difficulty feeling confident at stoplights, when they have to hold the bike on tiptoes. I have riden both the Aprilia Pegaso and the BMW 650, including a fairly extended tour, with passenger and luggage, throughout Switzerland and parts of France (this on the BMW -- one of the early versions). As long as you avoid exended periods on the autostrada, it is quite suitable for this purpose.

Between the two, I think it comes down to personal preferences, as mechanically they are very similar -- both use versions of the Rotax 650 which is very reliable, and, for a big single, reasonably smooth running and powerful.

All of these bikes are reliable -- maintenance is easier on the single cylinder bikes than the 4s -- especially if you do your own.

I am sure you will see plenty of other opinions.

Good luck with your choice.

Bob (aka Roberto)
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 10:13 AM   #3
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

except write your term papers... AND.... Of course, SV-650s make you look really silly if you're wearing chaps and fringe. (you know as opposed to NOT looking silly in chaps and fringe, if you are on a cruiser (wink...wink)
Old 12-13-2002, 10:19 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Hard to beat the BMW R1100R. Maybe you can find a nice used one in your price range.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:20 AM   #5
rsheidler
Founding Member

JavaDragon

I was gonna suggest the same. Depending on your budget and all, a couple of other possibilities are Bandit 1200 (my sister, who is about your height, rides one and she fits fine) or one of the other naked or semi-naked standards (eg Yamaha FZ1).

A little more expensive (don't know about Canadian prices, though) is the BMW R1150R -- in the US this is $10,000 without ABS. That would probably be my choice, if it fit within my budget.

Good luck with your choice

Bob
Old 12-13-2002, 10:23 AM   #6
intruderman
Founding Member

Java Dragon should consider a Suzuki Katana 750. Not too big, good power, good wind protection, comfy for the long haul, good for a passenger (get a Corbin seat), good range, fun in the twisties.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 10:25 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

My suggestion is to buy a Honda 750 Nighthawk. Reliable, decent power, 2-up comfort, not too big, good gas mileage, cheap, pretty easy to service, proven design. No, it's not the most exciting thing going, but the requirements mentioned in both posts point to this bike more than any others. I also bet this bike can be found at a discount, as they aren't flying out of the showroom. Honda dealers are everywhere, so parts or service would not be a problem.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:32 AM   #8
rsheidler
Founding Member

Serazuwa's suggestion of a used BMW R1100R is probably better than my suggestion for the R1150R (which is the replacement model), given your specified budget.

Here, you can find good, clean R1100Rs in the range of US$5,000, usually including bags, electric handgrips (well worth the $$ if you ever ride in cool weather) etc. These bikes are almost always well maintained by more "mature" riders (KPaul would say old farts) who are less likely to routinely bounce the revs off the rev limiter.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:47 AM   #9
Eric
Founding Member

Longride suggesting an inline 4. Someone tell KPaul! Actually, I agree with you. I had an 86 Nighthawk that I thoroughly enjoyed. It was comfortable enough, handled well enough, and had sufficient passenger accomodations to fit my small budget and general desire to be on a motorcycle.

In short, a great all around bike if you don't mind being seen on something that, to be generous, isn't exactly cutting edge in any major category.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 10:50 AM   #10
hojka
Founding Member

Default Bike for JavaDragon

Take a look at the Yamaha V-Star review on mo.com. They give it very positive reviews and it seems to meet the criteria that you are looking for.
hojka is offline   Reply With Quote