Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 12-14-2002, 02:20 PM   #71
r1derbike
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Readers ask which bike to buy...

Short and sweet:

R1 for playbike.

FJR for sport-touring.

Outta here...Charles (viper)

'00 RWB R1 #34...'cuz there can only be THE ONE.

'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha' of all modern sportbikes.

'03 FJR 1300...'cuz ya' gotta keep HER happy.

Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.

http://www.picturetrail.com/r1derbike/823464
\'00 RWB R1 #34...\'cuz there can only be THE ONE.
\'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha\' of all modern sportbikes.
\'03 FJR 1300...\'cuz ya\' gotta keep HER happy.
Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.
http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=A0B19
r1derbike is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2002, 03:14 PM   #72
gringolet
Founding Member

Wait for the V-Twin KTM. Or get the Suzuki DL1000, or a Honda Africa Twin - something with lots of suspension travel, a big tank, and a V-twin motor.

Of course, there's always that diesel KLR 650 the USMC's riding...
gringolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 04:17 PM   #73
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Fuel Mileage...??

If I am conservative (not very often) I can go about 155 miles on my SV-650S, that is cruising between 60-85 MPH on the freeway commute between my house and MO. A typical sporting ride gets me about 110 miles before the yellow fuel light starts to blink. On the racetrack, it is good for about 85 miles. The problem with an SV in a remote area is that there is no pet*****, just the warning light. Pay attention to the mileage you get and always reset your trip odo at fill-up.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:30 PM   #74
DragonF6
Registered Member

Default The Dragon is the only answer for someone named

Also known as the Honda Valkyrie...it's that Gold WIng you spoke of, without all the "tupperware" (the land cruiser image) and a souped up 6 cylinder engine that will purr all day long and you will never want to get off. Comfortable, smooth and fast. What more could you want? Maybe the interstate version, which has a bigger gas tank, because the standard will have you "just" making it to that first gas station (hits reserve at around 135-150...depending on speed). Been riding 40 years...this is the best yet, by far!!!
DragonF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 04:32 PM   #75
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Please define "Fastest".

Do you mean the fastest as in terminal velocity, or fastest around a roadcourse, or fastest through the woops and off the berm?
Old 12-14-2002, 06:39 PM   #76
sarnali
Founding Member

That's an excellant choice, and one I had more or less forgotten about, my first street bike was a '80 kz750, I also put mass miles on mine and didn't have any problems, In fact I was at the bike show in seattle today and while I was checking out the new 1000 Kawasaki, I noticed how cool the ZR7 looked in yellow, That would be a great inexpensive bike to have, and more or less bulletproof.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 08:12 PM   #77
Jexter
Founding Member

> Between the ages of 16 and 19 I logged just over 60K Km’s (that’s 56127.22 miles for you yanks). <

Were Km's longer back then?
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 08:37 PM   #78
javadragon
Founding Member

oops , I don't have to convert between the 2 that often. Do you like 37282.27152 miles better?
javadragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 03:49 AM   #79
dcopp
Founding Member

Default I like the Bandit...

From the choices that you have put forth on your post, Renato, I have to say my own choice from that list is the Suzuki Bandit 600. I'm not sure about the comparison of the value of the Euro to the dollar, (I think they're even right now) but It is well under your $$. With a used bike, you can save many $$ and buy acessories for the bike as well. I noticed a lot of SV650's on the posts, and that's an okay bike as well. I personally thought the SV650 was not a bike that I'd want to spend all day on at my height, which is about the same as yours, I'm assuming that the weight may be about the same (I go in at 220 lbs). My last everyday rider was a Bandit 600 which did well on gas, until I started to hop it up then the milage dropped below your criteria, JavaDragon. With a Corbin Seat, you can ride forever on the Bandit, or at least until your gas runs out. JavaDragon, you mentioned that you were MILES for anywhere. I found that the Bandit was pretty much bullet-proof, Air and oil cooled. With a good set of Dunlops, It handles nicely as well, I did some pretty stupid stuff on that bike with those tires, and managed not to high side low side, or otherwise end up on my side. As far as passenger accomidations, Renato, my Bandit did well. The engine is strong enough to keep up and even push that 110 mph+ with me and passenger. There is enough room in the leg for the passenger, but get a different seat (See Corbin, again) as the factory is typical slant towards the driver, and pushes you against the tank. There is enough wind protection on the Bandit that you don't get beat up, The riding position is mostly upright for long distance comfort, stops well, handles well, is not too heavy for smaller people to drive, with a tank bag and a saddle trunk I went many miles on the bike. I miss it!! Damn Caddies and old women drivers anyway. Maybe if I sell a couple of bikes, my wife will let me get another Bandit. I can put a Yosh pipe on it again, jet it, drop the forks a tad, Dunlops, flush mount signals, Corbin seat, chop the fender...

Anybody want a Honda VT500 Ascot?
dcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 03:53 AM   #80
dcopp
Founding Member

Default Re: Fuel Mileage...??

HEy MO guys, what's wrong with PET*****? isn't this a motorcycle part? Must we be prtected from everything? We ride fast bikes and on one wheel sometimes? I don't think that one will kill us.
dcopp is offline   Reply With Quote