Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 12-14-2002, 08:22 AM   #61
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Fuel Mileage...??

Suzuki lists the SV650 with a 4.7 gal tank. Even if it gets as low as 40mpg that should be enough. Not much margin for error, though.

With that distance to contend with I'd work out a way to carry a spare gas can for any unforseen eventualities, like exploring a side road.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2002, 08:30 AM   #62
dwr461
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Readers ask which bike to buy...

How is it on poorly paved roads in remote areas? The Volusia is a good bike, reliable, comfortable, etc. But I think I might like something with a little more suspension travel is the area he described.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 09:39 AM   #63
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Since your terms sound european...

He has a gas station in his town, but once he leaves home the nearest gas station is 150 miles away.
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 09:40 AM   #64
domyalex
Founding Member

I have an YZF600R (ThunderCat), from '97 to 2003 it's exactly the *same* bike, kinda bulletproof! The gas thank is huge (5.0 US Gal), it will give well over 250 km and it's basically the most confortable sportbike I have ever riden (beats even the Honda F4 I owned before).

Go for it, you won't be disappointed!

(it *only* has about 86 hp, but will happly cruise at 140-150 km/h)

Oh, and MSRP is around 7,000 for a new one.

domyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 09:45 AM   #65
seruzawa
The Toad

I owned a KZ750 at one time. Same engine as ZR7S sans oil cooler. I bought it with 12k and sold it with 53K. Not once did it need a valve adjustment. I tore it down at 50K to put in new cam chain followers. The cylinders/pistons were smooth as glass without a hint of scoring. All engine specs were well within tolerance.. most were close to minimum and none were close to maximum. Only one valve clearance was close to max. Definitely a good reliable long-lasting engine in my book. If it had been the standard style rather than the stupid cruiser style I might still have it.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:26 AM   #66
akcarlson
Founding Member

Brilliant. Thank you for that contribution.
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 11:50 AM   #67
What__4
Founding Member

I own lots of expesive bikes, but the one I like to ride is probably the least expensive. When it comes to racing through the mountains on weekends, I always look around at the things that keep me broke all the time, It's always the 1200 Bandit that I have the most fun on. Leave the Hyabusa, (Japanese for hospital). Leave the 748R, the 996R, and a few more, I'm ashamed to list them all. Get the bandit, leave the stock pipe on it so you can enjoy that tire wrenching torque the bike has. A set of race tires, and a little confidence, you'll be making the local boys start riding to the mall to hang out again. J Mckinney
What__4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 12:26 PM   #68
overtemp
Founding Member

The fun doesn't have to stop just 'cause the pavement does!

Some of the best scenery is down that dirt road, so I'd recommend an adventure/touring bike like the BMW 650 or 1150GS, Triumph Tiger or Suzuki V-Strom. These bikes are just as fast, fun & comfortable as most street bikes with the added advantage of a good suspension for even the crappiest paved roads.

Actually, I can't understand why anybody would want anything else.

overtemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 12:41 PM   #69
day9
Founding Member

An even better choice than the r1100r would be an airhead beemer, preferable one from 1973 to 1979. These bikes are extremely durable, and simple to maintain/fix. Excellent range with the 6 gallon tank, passenger comfort is just as good as anything this side of a touring rig. These bikes are great for going down the road at 80+ mph, and can handle the twisty parts as well. My 1979 R100S only weighs about 500lbs wet. They also have excellent functional hard luggage. You can find wide price range as well. A nice running one will range from about $2,000 up to $7,000. I bought mine in pretty decent shape for $3200. I would recommend at least a 750 (R75) if you will be taking a passenger. All this not to mention the fact that when you park next to other bikes, you will have the coolest one of the bunch.
day9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 01:16 PM   #70
Cherii
Founding Member

I've had an SV650 and an SV650S and both are great, fun, reliable bikes. 170 miles was about as far as I could ever stretch a tank of fuel, though, and 80mph cruising for a couple of hours will require a windshield on the SV for sure, and probably a windshield upgrade on the SV650S. I presently have a 1998 VFR800 and a 2002 Bandit 1200S, and either of those would do very nicely. The Bandit is the better deal by far new, but a lot of '98 - '01 VFRs are available, and they have the edge overall, I think.
Cherii is offline   Reply With Quote