Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Motorcycle oil vs. Automotive oil (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/1438-motorcycle-oil-vs-automotive-oil.html)

DJS 10-31-2002 10:49 AM

Re: Motorcycle oil vs. Automotive oil

Batten down the hatches. Here comes a twister. You would have gotten less controversy asking a question about gun rights or abortion.

Here's an article from a smart guy that is retired from the petroleum industry and has easily a 100K miles on his scoots total:

http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

David

BBD_Racing 10-31-2002 11:47 AM

Mobil 1 15W50 is where it's at. Price is decent, the properties are excellent and the anecdotal evidence is pristine.

I have never seen objective evidence supporting moto specific oils. I have seen decent hard evidence showing some moto specific oils to be inferior.

Great article reference by the first poster.

pbx 10-31-2002 11:52 AM

Excellent article by the smart guy.

bikeham_2 10-31-2002 12:30 PM

Just make sure the Api label doesn't say Energy Conserving. Those oils contain Moly which will make your cluch slip. And from what I read the only cure is a new Clutch.

ujm4ever 10-31-2002 01:23 PM

I have been running Mobile1 for 15 years now with great success. Many high milage bikes and cars. 88K on current street bike using 15w50 auto oil with change intervals of 5k-7k miles with very little consumption. Even with that said I have recently decided to switch to Amsoil. Those folks seem much more passionate about their products and seem to have the data to back up their claims. They also gaurantee their extended drain intervals, something Mobile1 will not do. Check them out.

crankin500 10-31-2002 01:38 PM

I use Amsoil synthetic 2-stroke oil in my dirt bike. I am very pleased with the performance. It runs very clean with little smoke at 50:1. It costs less than Honda's oil and lasts 2x longer. I'm sure their 4-stroke oils are also excellent.

vcs700s 10-31-2002 03:38 PM

Here we are at the end of the month- must be ad renewal time. John's stupid article on stupid people, and now a half a page about a Harley and here we have a paragraph about oil. Is the point of these pointless endeavours to solicite response so your advertisers cough up money for next month? If you don't start writing more articles about motorcycles, your subscribers won't cough up more money at renewal time!

Captain_1 10-31-2002 03:45 PM

Re: oil?

A number of auto companies have recently embraced the benefits (and higher costs) of synthetic lubricants to extend maintenance intervals. i.e. a new Porsche can go a year or 12,000 miles before its first oil change. FYI, the engine is run-in at the factory and refilled with synthetic lube.

Enthusiasts would be surprised how many drivers are totally ignorant to the needs of their vehicles -- or even know how to pop the hood! That is why telematics has become the next big thing... Hello OnStar, my car, ahh, made these funny noises, and smelled like really bad before it... just like died. Don't believe me, just ask Toyota about sludge build-up and costly engine failures due to lack of simple maintenance.

If you are old school about changing your oil, you probably will not have a problem with any slick, friction reducing, heat absorbing, dirt suspending fluid you pour into you crankcase. If you are maintenance adverse, go synthetic AFTER break-in, but still have it replaced once a year at minimum.

Vlad 10-31-2002 03:53 PM

There are few issues more people flame about more than oil choice. I use Mobil One V-Twin Motorcycle oil in my VFR. Yes, it's expensive, but you can get it at auto parts stores for less than what you might pay at many bike shops.

I look at it this way. Hey, it's your bike. I don't know what you paid for yours, but I know what I paid for mine. I expect my bike to run in any weather at any temperature, at any speed that I want. It does. It also runs cooler on Mobil One. So, you want to save a few bucks on oil and risk an expensive motorcycle, your call. There are other good bike oils out there, I know. I also know that too many of my (racer) friends, who spend way too much time at speeds greater than 150 mph, swear by the stuff. Look at it this way. My car produces about the same horsepower as my bike. It's built by the same company. But it gets that horsepower out of 1800cc. My bike gets it out of 800. Am I going to use car oil in my bike? No. I don't want to risk it.

MO is right. Mobil One rocks.

Vlad

rhobson 10-31-2002 04:36 PM

I've done quite a bit of research on the topic and have to agree with MO's advice.

I'm a little cheap however and just use dino oil and change it every 2000 miles, and change the filter every other oil change. Oil analysis indicates that at 2000 miles, a dino oil has sheared down significantly more (in a motorcycle) than a synthetic like Mobile 1. IMHO the shearing is acceptable-- but this is a trade off many would not choose to make. So, you can't go wrong with a good synthetic like Mobile 1.

Maybe we should debate whether to use Mobile's automotive or motorcycle-specific oils. That is a much finer line to draw!