Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-01-2002, 05:48 AM   #21
Matt929
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle oil vs. Automotive oil

Here's a couple of links that discuss oil and oil filters. They're worth reading.

http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oilfilter.htm

We both ride. I currently have a 2002 CBR-954 and my wife rides a 1993 EX-500. Both use factory oil filters and Golden-Spectro semi-synthetic 10w-40 oil. New bikes are expensive and I prefer using motorcycle specific products.
Matt929 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2002, 06:23 AM   #22
DeadVFR
Founding Member

I've primarily used automotive Castrol Syntec 5-50W (SJ) in my '90 VFR for the past 8 years. It just ticked over 79K miles.
DeadVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 07:47 AM   #23
frytz
Registered Member

I've been running Amsoil in all my vehicles for years. Just to test a theory, I quit changing oil in my last car at 375k, gave the car to a friend, who also has never changed the oil. Filters get changed every 15k miles, and the car now has about 460k on it, and still only needs to be topped up when changing the filter. My 2-stroke motorcycles run on Amsoil 100-1, and never have trouble. Every 4 stroke used bike I've purchased has learned to shift much better after switching to Amsoil synthetic. Given my experience with extended oil change intervals on $40,000 automobiles, I do wonder though why, like all other motorcycle riders, I'm such a chicken about extending the intervals on a $10,000 motorcycle.
frytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 08:00 AM   #24
zx11
Founding Member

I tried mobile 1 in a v65 I used to have..made my clutch slip..In my opinion...use what the factory recomends. The wet clutch needs some friction. I change every 2k with good old dyno juice for moto cycles..not car oil..
zx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 09:28 AM   #25
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Hit count...

This type of article gets the "hit" count up. MO must base their ad rate on the number of "hits." It's the same old crap at the end of the month...Harley vs Japanese, Dino oil vs Synthetic....

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 11:33 AM   #26
rsheidler
Founding Member

Unless ya got a bike with a dry clutch, like my Ducati or my old BMW -- then it don't matter.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 12:39 PM   #27
sarnali
Founding Member

I've been using 10w40 Castrol GTX, and Syntec mixed together for years w/ no problems, I try to get about 40% full synthetic and 60% dino oil, and I change oil & filter every 3k miles, I've also used pro-honda semi-syn. & golden spectro semi-syn. with good results. By mixing my own I know I'm running about 40% synthetic, instead of " a blend of synthetic & petroleum " that doesn't specify percentages. Changing the oil and not the filter doesn't sound like a good idea to me as your contaminating the new oil w/ whatever is in the filter, Why not get rid of it all each time? I use stock filters and the Castrol oil and it usualy cost around $25.00 for an oil change, so about $100 bucks a year for a clean engine.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 01:33 PM   #28
ujm4ever
Registered Member

Thanks for the Amsoil feedback. As I stated earlier I have run Mobile 1 in bikes for as much as 7500 miles/ 1 year. I have noticed that shifting starts getting sloppy around 4-5k miles. I'm waiting to see if that does not happen with the Amsoil.
ujm4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 06:22 PM   #29
pushrod
Founding Member

It is almost impossible to find Mobil 1 bike oil in our town, since the SooperWally's stopped carrying it. The MX4T was 10/40, I believe, and cost around $4 a quart. Since I was needing synthetic for my Triumph 955cc, and the dealer is 90 miles away, with Mobil 1 "Specially formulated for use in Triumph motorcycles" for only $48 a gallon, I decided to try the new Castrol ACT-EVO 10/40 synthetic. CastrolUSA says the oil has been in Europe for a couple of years, and they are just bringing it over here. I got it from Chaparral for $12 for a 4 Liter jug. It is SG certified. Seems to work fine.

BTW, the Triumph Mobil 1 is SJ rated. I called Mobil (1-800-ASK-MOBIL) and asked how that is possible, since I understood that SJ was not suitable for bikes. The guy said >their< synthetic SJ was ok; and then warned me not to use any SL oil!

Lastly, the main reason to change oil is to remove the contaminants suspended in the liquid that the filter can't catch, as well as the chemical byproducts of ignition. Simply changing the filter doesn't do your ride justice. Besides, what's $25 and some quality time with your pride and joy?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 06:26 PM   #30
pushrod
Founding Member

It is almost impossible to find Mobil 1 bike oil in our town, since the SooperWally's stopped carrying it. The MX4T was 10/40, I believe, and cost around $4 a quart. Since I was needing synthetic for my Triumph 955cc, and the dealer is 90 miles away, with Mobil 1 "Specially formulated for use in Triumph motorcycles" for only $48 a gallon, I decided to try the new Castrol ACT-EVO 10/40 synthetic. CastrolUSA says the oil has been in Europe for a couple of years, and they are just bringing it over here. I got it from Chaparral for $12 for a 4 Liter jug. It is SG certified. Seems to work fine.

BTW, the Triumph Mobil 1 is SJ rated. I called Mobil (1-800-ASK-MOBIL) and asked how that is possible, since I understood that SJ was not suitable for bikes. The guy said >their< synthetic SJ was ok; and then warned me not to use any SL oil! He also sid the "Energy Conserving" characteristic had nothing to do with its usefulness in a bike. 'Course, the guy probably makes $4.50 an hour, and reads answers off a whiteboard.

Lastly, the main reason to change oil is to remove the contaminants suspended in the liquid that the filter can't catch, as well as the chemical byproducts of ignition. Simply changing the filter doesn't do your ride justice. Besides, what's $25 and some quality time with your pride and joy?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote