Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-31-2002, 04:38 PM   #11
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle oil vs. Automotive oil

I kinda like reading these types of news threads. The ezine seems to be running fairly well since the switch to subscription (with the exception of that idiotic track test of the big standards). Just as an aside, where is Blip? Maybe he's hiking across the USA.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2002, 04:49 PM   #12
obandoj
Founding Member

I have been using Bel-Ray motorcycle oil, both petroleum based and synthetic for way over 20 years, my motorcycles never have an easy life, they get flogged and beaten but they get maintained, with oil changes every 1500 to 2000 miles, and I have never experienced a clutch or engine problem, not bad eh? Needless to say I'm going to keep on using the trusty old Bel-Ray.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 05:43 PM   #13
dwr461
Founding Member

I agree that Mobile One is a fine product. It is also, last I heard, that only "true" synthetic American oil. Most of the other synthetics still use Dino-juice as their starting point for "synthetic" oil. I have only one problem with respect to using it in motorcycles. If your bike uses the same oil for the engine as it does the clutch, Mobile One might not be your best choice. The molecules that make up Mobile One are in theory too slippery for your clutch. This may cause your clutch to begin slipping prematurely. Some manufacturers have put out service warnings that the molecules that make up the synthetic oil could actually damage your organically based clutch.

That being said, I know of several people who run Mobile One in their bikes without any aparent ill effects to their clutch yet. It is certainly good for their engine. I have decided not to run synthetic because quite frankly I don't see a tremendous benefit. The most important thing about your oil is changing it frequently.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 06:26 PM   #14
YZFknucklehead
Founding Member

Sure, automobile-grade Mobil 1 will work just fine, but why stop there? Motorcycle-grade synthetics contain higher levels of zinc and phosphorus, because motorcycles don't have catalytic converters to worry about. Those two additives help protect engine parts from wear. If you're going to split hairs over which lubricant to use, why not purchase the best and get it over with? My baby deserves the best!
YZFknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 12:49 AM   #15
900F
Founding Member

Default Viscosity

I've been using mobil 1 "red" 15-50 in my V Strom with good results. The normal weight oil for this bike is 10-40 though and thats the only thing that concerns me.

With the approach of winter ( it's 15 Deg. outside now ), I'm switching back to 10-40 dino oil. I may get out a few more times before the roads are ice covered and I'll ride in cold temps next spring again ( my Aerostich and elec. vest are indespensible here ).
Old 11-01-2002, 01:33 AM   #16
Marcos_Peguero_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Viscosity

Read

the motor oil bible book.

Marcos_Peguero_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 01:59 AM   #17
rideondude
Founding Member

I've been using Amsoil in my 2 strokes since '72, yet '72! Great stuff and you notice less wear and less fouled plugs. Started using their 4 stroke synthetic motor oils about 5 years ago. Immediately noticed a 2-3 mpg increase and I change it at 5k mile intervals. I'm sold!
rideondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 03:50 AM   #18
bubster
Founding Member

In regard to the clutch slipping, I have never personally seen an example. I use Mobile1 15W50 car oil in my '84 Husky 510 enduro, my 2001 Husaberg FE400e, 92 DR650S, and my many GS750 and 1100 Suzukis (street and roadrace) with no clutch problems at all for many years.

But a note of caution. Do not break in a bike engine with synthetics or you may have problems with rings seating properly. Switch to synthetics after break-in is done.
Old 11-01-2002, 04:06 AM   #19
R1TCHIE
Founding Member

I just wish Mobil 1 would come in a 10W-40. I ride pretty-much year-around (can get cold in Colorado) and hesitate to run 15-50 thru the winter. I'm not keen on the new spec "Energy Conserving" (0W/5W/10W-30) oils.
R1TCHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 04:06 AM   #20
Alan
Founding Member

Default Re: Viscosity

Is Mobile 1 "red" a motorcycle specific oil?

Is it SG rated? (not moly)

or SJ/SL rated?

Thanks....
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote