Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

View Poll Results: What Bike has the Fastest Top Speed?
Suzuki Hayabusa 279 59.62%
Kawasaki ZX-12R 106 22.65%
Honda Blackbird 13 2.78%
Honda RC-51 3 0.64%
Suzuki GSX-R1000 11 2.35%
Yamaha YZF-R1 8 1.71%
I'm so loaded, I can fly 11 2.35%
I wish I was loaded enough to think I could fly 37 7.91%
Voters: 468. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2002, 06:46 PM   #41
silverattorney
Founding Member

Default Re: Top Speed Shootout Question

The 57 Duo Glide was the fastest, off a cliff. LOL
silverattorney is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2002, 06:49 PM   #42
silverattorney
Founding Member

Didn't know the 1990 FZR1000 was so fast. Should be able to pick one up fairly reasonable. Love that burning rice.
silverattorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 11:12 PM   #43
sean331
Founding Member

I've gotten the impression from a couple of shop owners that manufacturers up-rate their speedos to keep the lunacy down on the street.(Wow! I hit a buck thirty today!) No, it was 120. I carry a Garmin eMap (a handheld GPS) on top of my tankbag, and during the ride it logs your mileage, rolling and stopped time, speed averages, and top speed to within 1/10th mph. In my experience, Honda seems to progressively bias their speedos. It's under by 2 mph at 35, and 10mph at 130. The Ducati ST4s I'm the proud new owner of takes a different approach. It's off by 10 mph across the board!

sean331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 04:42 AM   #44
blackburd
Founding Member

It's way better to have to deal with the dangers of moving between cars on the 405 than it is to be stuck in line with them.
blackburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 05:05 AM   #45
seruzawa
The Toad

There's an easy way to calibrate your speedo if you live near an interstate with mileage markers. Simply set your speed at a constant rate. Time how long it takes to go a given number of miles. (Say 5 for example).

Divide the number of seconds to go 5 miles by 5. Take that number and divide it into 3600.

EXAMPLE: It takes 250 seconds to go 5 miles.

250/5=50

3600/50=72 mph.

My Suzuki 1100s speedo gives me the following:

70 indicated = 64

80 indicated = 72

90 indicated = 80

100 indicated = 89

Interestingly the tach on my bike is also optimistic in exactly the same ratio as the speedo.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:52 AM   #46
tshelver
Registered Member

Indicated speeds don't mean too much. I can remember winding a Ninja 900 up on a really long downhill with a long run-up in the mid-80s, and having it run way past the end of the markings (about 290kph), estimated from the position of the needle at about 320 kph indicated.

We did some calibration afterwards and came up with a true speed in the order of jsut over 260 km/h, about 156 mph. It was a long hill...
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:46 AM   #47
ironmike
Founding Member

Default A Pragmatic Challenge...

Let's take, per the general consensus, the top ten - or top twenty, if that seems more fair - and rank them by degree of reliability...

Amazingly Fast Motorcycles (AFM) exist and are well within most enthusiasts' financial grasp (insurance costs & speeding fines notwithstanding). Would it not be prudent to consider other inherent costs such as routine maintenance and any well known/documented repair issues..? How about a general frequency of repair (as done in Consumer Reports for autos)? It shouldn't be too difficult; a visit or two to owners' bbs would be somewhat enlightening. Most people (bike owners) know what the attendant costs of ownership are... and can be quite candid in that regard.

So gentlemen (and ladies), your challenge is to rank the AFMs in descending order of reliability... it would be well worth knowing.
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 12:20 PM   #48
P-Ratt
Premium Member

Default No bull

Nope. I've seen the the pics. Downhill with a tailwind. BTW, I had a 600R at the time too.
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 12:23 PM   #49
P-Ratt
Premium Member

Default GSXR750

Not really. It is just as slippery as the next high performance machine. It also had more power than the CBR929.
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 12:42 PM   #50
frytz
Registered Member

The indicated speed on any production bike is irrelevant. You can get a friendly cop to radar you, they sometimes find it interesting to see just how "outgunned" they are. A really simple way to find out is to buy a TIMEX Speed+Distance watch with GPS and use the chronograph to begin and end a top speed session. Strap the watch to the bike and use your thumb to start/stop the chrono. Then when you stop, just check it for max speed and average speed, which should be pretty close if you do it right. The unit is accurate to less than 100 yards on 30 miles, so you will know within .1 mph how fast your bike really goes. Beware, you will likely be pretty disappointed when you see how slow you've really been going when you realize how badly you inadvertently exaggerated your tales of speed.
frytz is offline   Reply With Quote