Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

View Poll Results: What Bike has the Fastest Top Speed?
Suzuki Hayabusa 279 59.62%
Kawasaki ZX-12R 106 22.65%
Honda Blackbird 13 2.78%
Honda RC-51 3 0.64%
Suzuki GSX-R1000 11 2.35%
Yamaha YZF-R1 8 1.71%
I'm so loaded, I can fly 11 2.35%
I wish I was loaded enough to think I could fly 37 7.91%
Voters: 468. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2002, 02:28 AM   #21
Haru
Founding Member

Default Re: Top Speed Shootout Question

the hayabusa was the first to crack 190mph, and it's feat was cast in stone because the early ZX-12Rs were running well below the potential because Kawasaki at the time was extremely sensitive to the threat from the EU which specifically said that if the new Kawasaki that had been touted as being faster than the Suzuki indeed turned out to be so, they would consider that a rejection of the EU's demand for self-regulation, a continuation of the speed wars, and then the EU WOULD pass legislation. The ball was in Kawasaki's court and the company was under intense pressure from the other manufacturers to call it off. Thus to ensure that the EU administration was not further inflamed, Kawasaki made sure that the early bikes were comfortably under the Hayabusa's top speed, and additionally, not too far in violation of the 186mph EU demand. So, most early tested ZX-12Rs went between 183 and 187mph.

However, as production went on, the bikes were setup to spec, and these bikes are virtually as fast as the Hayabusa. Both have posted 192-194mph for completely stock bikes on the high end.

It should be noted that only the ZX-12R has seen its top speed verified with a two way measured distance run, which happened at Maxton at 192mph. The 194mph for the Hayabusa that Cycle World made famous does not stand up to scrutiny of having taken into account wind speed, inclination of the ground etc.

The fact is that both bikes are virtually equally fast on the top speed. Depending on the day and the rider, either can take the win.

However, that is not say that the bikes FEEL equally fast. The Hayabusa's engine feels lots stronger in the sub 8000rpm range. The ZX-12R is stronger up top, so if you have the skill, the expereince and the balls to ride this motorcycle with the engine spining 9000 and up, its the most heart explodingly intense expereince you can imagine. The hayabusa is not quite so intense, but it engine feels like a classic american big block. Mountains of torque to be had in any gear, at any rpm, in any situation. Fantastic throttle response. The tiniest openings make for vicious acceleration.

I want one. I am looking for a '99 Red/silver.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2002, 02:35 AM   #22
gjacobs
Founding Member

When are manufacuturers going to give us the solid rocket boosters we need and DESERVE! NOX is so passe.
gjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 03:08 AM   #23
blackburd
Founding Member

That would be the new Harley. They're going to call it the FX-SRB-BMF (don't ask)
blackburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 03:18 AM   #24
blackburd
Founding Member

Never believe motorcycle speedometers. I mounted a GPS on my CBR1100XX to calibrate my odometer before riding one of the Iron Butt SaddleSore rides. My odometer was off 3 percent, but the speedometer was even worse. 10 percent. That brings that 175 indicated down to around 157. One Hundred Seventy Five sounds sure sounds better.
blackburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 03:53 AM   #25
P-Ratt
Premium Member

Default No bull

So what? I have a friend who has been over 180 indicated on his YZF600R. No hidden NOS or Busa motor either. Most manufacturers have a claimed 5-13% error on their speedo's at the top end.
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:12 AM   #26
ATDoGG11
Founding Member

Default Re: No bull

I Don't really believe that. I have a 600R, and there's no hope of hitting 180. I think your friend is a story-teller.
ATDoGG11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:16 AM   #27
micro
Founding Member

My friend had a video of two guys from a euro bike magazine. They tested the zx12r and gsx1300r and with pipe, and power comander

and appropriate wires cut. 12R was faster on top,but gsx1300r would get the jump from a roll.
micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:16 AM   #28
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Fastest? Who Cares?

I'm guessing the 500cc+ Single Cylinder Dual Purpose Bikes, Buell Blast, Harley 883 and 600cc V-twin cruisers would populate positions 1 - 30 on that list.

Old 10-08-2002, 05:33 AM   #29
Sparky_1
Founding Member

Wow ! this is interesting stuff zzzzzzzzzzzz. When are you people going to produce something useful that shows some imagination and an effort to learn something?
Sparky_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:36 AM   #30
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Back in my Squidly days

147mph being paced by a 300z turbo on my R6 (99'). Since I am not a tiny guy that's as fast as I could get it to go, though the speedo said 160. Don't worry, it was on a long strip of deserted road on s22 in South California.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote