Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-03-2002, 02:30 PM   #1
Captain_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Overlooked brands

Guzzi has been somewhat overlooked as well.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2002, 02:37 PM   #2
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: New KTM LC8?

I think KTM is the bike of the future.....both the LC8 and the twin Duke make me drool.I was eagerly anticipating the Aprillia Blue Marlin but i think KTM done aced them.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 02:40 PM   #3
Neal
Founding Member

I agree....the Guzzi V11 and Lemans are rideable sporty bikes with reasonable performance that dont look other bikes on the road.Would love to see a omparo of Guzzi vs the Monster (not the s4) vs the Honda 919.Now that would be different!
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 04:18 PM   #4
red-silver
Registered Member

How about a comparo Guzzi V11 LeMans vs. BMW R1100S? There are also a couple of V11 variants ~ the Scura, basically a V11 with Ohlins suspenders, and soon the Rosa Corsa, a LeMans with Ohlins suspenders.

Aprilla has been working hard to get quality control, paint, electrics, etc. (as well as sorting out the suspension & gearbox), anyway ~ to get it all right!

These could become very interesting alternatives. As the Italians, (with Ducati leading the way) get all the traditionally crappy parts of their bikes to work, they are actually becoming desirable!

This seems to be happening in other parts of Italian industry as well. Ferraris are not just fast and beautiful anymore, they actually work! Wow! What a concept!
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:19 PM   #5
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Blue Marlin

Wow, the Blue Marlin, I totally forgot about lusting after that bike. I think it's better that Aprillia didn't build it, since they'd just price it out of the range of mortal riders. Sort of like every other figgin' bike Ducati builds these days.

'Hey, that bike looks nice. Oh, they're only building three, and they cost $50,000. Nice.'

Exclusivity and brand image my ever-lovin' ass. Just build a nice bike we can actually buy from a dealership.

Where's my closest KTM showroom?
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:22 PM   #6
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Speaking of...

Speaking of KTM showrooms, if MO wants a review, I'll go thrash a Duke II under the auspices of a 'test ride' and write about it. For a fee, of course.

My final offer, take it or leave it...
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:31 PM   #7
neoyetif2
Founding Member

I think you have also overlooked those really cool Boss Hog V8 bikes. Man those things are sweet! I wonder what the 0-60 and quarter mile times are? How about a lap around Willow on one, you know, just for fun.

Really though, I like the direction KTM is going. I have always liked those Dukes, but can't even think about spending that much money on a single.

Somebody please give these guys a KTM (950 or Duke).
neoyetif2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 08:16 PM   #8
12er
Founding Member

The new 950 Duke looks to redefine hooligan. My license couldnt take it thats for sure.

I am eagerly awaiting what the 950 Adventure looks like with a set of hard bags. I love the new BMW GS 1150 Adventure but could really do without about 200 lbs of it. Though I really dig the aluminium bags and hope KTM offers something of the like. Now whats the seat going to be like on the 950 adventure? My ex KLR 650 had a seat for about 60 miles then it was squirm time (big a$$ + thin soft seat = pain in the...). Though it pains me even more to immediatly have to go out and buy a $500+ Corbin. The BMW Adv has a wide, flat and firm seat, just hoping KTM follows suit as I cant tell for the pics Ive seen to date. Looks a little rounded which is good off road but not so good while burning thousands of miles on the slab. Which would be required for me to get from CA to Alaska and back. I am also eager to find out what the charging system puts out and how easy it is wire up acc sockets and heated grips. BMW has you covered there...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 08:26 PM   #9
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Local KTM dealer

Villa Park, Illinois, about 30 minutes west of you. Motor Cycle Center is the name of the place, at www.teammcc.com. They're a great dealer and their mechanics and parts guys will talk to you for hours.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 09:24 PM   #10
Benji_2
Founding Member

I can't wait for KTM to come out with their Hooligan bike, but I've never understood the fuss over these "adventure" models.

The V-Strom, the Tiger, all those Beemers and the like, what do these things offer that separate themselves from a sport tourer? They ride higher. Who cares? SUVs ride higher and look where they all spend their time, on the street. Even if you do take the bike offroad, how much can you really do with it? These things are full sized, heavy street bikes, not light weight dirt bikes.

I think KTM should build a bike with an optional winch that could mount either to the bike or the helmet just in case of especially rugged terrain. They could engineer a specially designed fold-out tent that sits atop the bike supported by steel-trellis and uses the engine as a stressed member. The head-light could be designed to rotate upward and electronically protrude a small cannon out of which a flair coated in Diamond Like Carbon (for reduced stiction) could be lauched in case of emergency. When jumping from cliff to cliff all you would need to do is hit the turbo boost button or just say "turbo boost" and K.I.T. (the KTM Intelligence Technolog......thingy) would complete the action and reply, "yes Michael", for example. It could be programmed to say whatever name you wanted, really. Hey, and if your bike should run out of boosting power, all taken care of, the internal exhaust mounted parachute would automatically deploy after a short hang-time of 13.8 seconds. Landings would be very comfortable thanks to ever-lengthening forks and shock which should absorb any impact the parachute fails to negate. By now you'd be in a new place and the adventure could start all over again. What a bike!!!
Benji_2 is offline   Reply With Quote