Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-06-2002, 05:13 AM   #31
zemmo
Registered Member

Default Re: New KTM LC8?

Call 'em up. Some of the euro-trash have been riding them, it appears. How about the 950 Adventure, that's the one I'm interested in.
zemmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2002, 03:00 PM   #32
SlowBear
Founding Member

I put about 25K on an R1100GS and while it would go off road I can't say it was any fun. My R100GS was actually fun off road. I can't say I did anything more than survive my off road travels on the 1100*. To be fair, the R11 was vastly better on pavement. Your question about the KTM's comfort (and maybe reliability) on pavement is, IMO, the $64,000 question about the LC8.

SlowBear

*My first real off road ride on the R11GS was fun until the 4WD road I was on disappeared into a huge piece of granite with a 20 to 30 degree slope along my direction of travel. Just to keep me alert, the down side ended in a small cliff and it was covered in small rocks (scree). I got to the other side, met the friends I was camping with (mostly in 4X4s, the wimps), had a great evening of male bonding (fire arms played with and safely stored before large amount of beer and other intoxicants were consumed) and crossed it again in the morning but I can't say I had any illusion about my bike being an off-roader after that. I can say the stretch of granite was even less fun with a slight hangover.

SB
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 03:10 PM   #33
SlowBear
Founding Member

Default Re: This V-Twin thing is a fad

i·ro·ny n. pl. i·ro·nies

1. A. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.

B. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.

C. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect.

See Synonyms at "wit".
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 03:42 AM   #34
Jimi_Dee
Founding Member

Default Re: This V-Twin thing is a fad

Sorry dude, but we couldn't see you wink! Try a smiley icon or somethin'.
Jimi_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 08:31 AM   #35
Jay_Mack
Founding Member

Default Re: Local KTM dealer

No, actually it's Ron & Brian's Suzuki, about 29 miles North of you in Waukegan.
Jay_Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 08:35 AM   #36
Jay_Mack
Founding Member

You should see what Royal Enfield is coming out with next year!
Old 10-07-2002, 08:47 AM   #37
Jay_Mack
Founding Member

Default Adventure vs. Duke

---As I read the stories, the 950 Duke won't be out until '04, while the Adventure (the KTM Adventure-I can't believe BMW and KTM have such a limited repirtoire of names that they both pick the same one) is due out in '93.

---So, should one wait for the 950 Duke or what is the disadvantage to the Adventure, sooner, instead?
Old 10-07-2002, 02:14 PM   #38
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Adventure vs. Duke

Jay:they are different bikes..........If you want an all out street fighter you want to wait for the Duke.If you want a nice street weapon with more comfortable ergonomics that can do some light tour duty and unpaved roads(like camping trips in west Virginia or treks through the high desert on unpaved roads),Im hoping the Adventurer fits the bill. Ive gotta do 3hrs on highways to reach my favorite West Virginia back roads.....the LC4 isnt really good for this........but the BMWGS1150 is too heavy for what I do when I get there .Im hoping the LC8 fits the bill betweem these two.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 08:06 AM   #39
Monterey_BS
Founding Member

Yesterday I was visiting my local (regional?) KTM dealer in Santa Cruz, Ca, to get an update on the arrival of the much anticipated 950 Adventure. I was told that we'd be seeing them sometime in May. The dealers have to go to school first. I guess my dealer is going in March. Many are intrigued by the prospect of a large dual sport that can truly handle both sides of the "dual" well. As opposed to others in the range we know that KTM has the dirt side knocked. The interesting part will be how they handle the road side. How about a first impression followed by a comparison? I'd like to see something following some part of the Trans America trail. Proof in the pudding and all that...
Monterey_BS is offline   Reply With Quote