Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
gremlin21
Registered Member

Default Sport-Touring

I've currently a 2008 c50,and although I really like the bike the floorboards really limit the cornering ablilty of the bike.I'm looking for a used straight across trade sport-touring bike.I've had a suzuki rm250 83 and currently have a ready to ride 90 yamaha yz490.So I'm partial to those brands but I have been looking at the yamaha fjr1000 or the honda st.Anyone have any help or advice on sport-touring bikes?
gremlin21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Well, some of them are more tour than sport (Yamaha, Honda, BMW) and some are more sport than tour (Triumph, Ducati ST).

I put 24,000 miles on a Ducati ST4 and loved every minute of it.

If you're solo take the Duc or a Triumph. If you carry a passenger frequently go for one of the larger types.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Triumph Sprint ST or an older Sprint RS is a good place to start. If you can change your thinking, a Buell Lightning or Ulysses makes a good "sport tourer". Perhaps the Suzuki SV platform would make a good sport tourer, as well.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:04 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Manufacturers would like you to believe that you have to buy one of their specific models to be a "sport tourer" or and an "adventure tourer", etc. Nothing could be further from the truth. For example a Honda ST1300 weighs more than a 1980 Gold Wing and is a plain boat tourer no matter what Honda's marketing liars call it. The Yamaha and BMW offerings are almost as heavy. The SprintST and Ducati are much more sporty and could actually be called sport tourers. However one could simply put hard bags on a ZRX1100/1200 and have a sport tourer. One could put a windshield and bags and stiffer springs on a Triumph Bonneville and have an Adventure tourer. And being much lighter than an $18K BMW GS it would be better off road. (Not that I've ever seen a GS off road.. they are the HumVs of the motorcycle world.)

The answer is to break free of the false classifications that the manufacturers and riders of limited imagination have created to make their lives simpler. Check out a lot of bikes. Get the one you like. You can adapt it to do most any function.

Last edited by seruzawa : 08-03-2009 at 05:07 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin21 View Post
I've currently a 2008 c50...I'm looking for a used straight across trade sport-touring bike.
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I sincerely doubt you'll find any takers on your C50 cruiser in trade for a sport tour. Riders who have moved into the ST market tend to come there from experience; they've had their first 1-3 bikes and now know what they want. An entry cruiser bike would be a step back for them.

Your best bet is to find a noob or near noob to buy the C50 and use that money, plus some more, to get into the ST. Just don't get your hopes up on selling it for big money. There's a gazillion of them on the market.

Nobody mentioned the Concours 14. If you want to go really fast, it's a great choice.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Nobody mentioned the Concours 14. If you want to go really fast, it's a great choice.
Actually, it's not so good for going really fast, only good for going really, really fast.